Surgery complete!

Will provide more updates as the days progress. But there were no complications in surgery, except they had to balloon the vein. I feel nauseous, but my pain isn’t worse then it was when I had the surgery so that’s good! Just got out of hospital so haven’t had a ton of time to process how I’m feeling.

7 Likes

Amazing. Ballooning is a bonus to make sure your blood flow restarts, not everyone’s doctor is so diligent!!
Take it easy, and wish you speedy recovery!

3 Likes

And here is my scar.it has the tape over it, but looks nice to me!

3 Likes

So far so good, @hyperichard! I’m so glad the surgery went well. It may take a few weeks before you really start to notice positive changes, but patience is key with recovery from ES surgery. Along w/ patience, comes starting back into your regular routine SLOWLY and listening to your body. That’s really hard when you’re an active busy person but it pays off w/ quicker healing. You may feel more tired than normal for a month or more. Don’t worry. Your energy will come back.

Praying for a quick recovery. Really glad you’ve finally had your day!!

2 Likes

Also, I am not sure if it was you @Isaiah_40_31 but someone had asked what nerves are monitored during surgery and the answer I got was cranial nerve 7 through 12. Do you know who asked this so I or you can tell them?

5 Likes

That was me Just shortening to avoid permanent nerve injury? - #9 by hyperichard
Man, I’m really glad you got full nerve monitoring.

2 Likes

WHEW! You saved me @vdm! I couldn’t remember who asked though I do remember the discussion. Thank you for your quick reply!!

Ya it made me feel very safe. I had 5 people in my operating room. Anesthesiologist, Dr Hepworth, the vascular surgeon, the person who was monitoring my nerves with her machine with she told me beeps if he gets to close to one, and then a nurse! No matter what happens over the next month+ I loved loved loved Dr Hepworths team and all the care they did. Only complaint I have is they drove my anxiety level up crazy amounts because, they had to poke me 6 times to find a vein for the IV. Six! That was pretty miserable…
@vdm

4 Likes

… and afterwards they SLICE-CUT YOUR NECK OPEN AND BROKE OFF A PIECE OF YOUR SKULL :smiley:
I hope the IV part was and will remain the only negative bit of the whole experience :slight_smile:

5 Likes

What helped the anxiety and pain a little bit though was the nurses and I were making jokes about this one time I had an MRI with contrast where I got poked 7 times until a vein was found. So the whole time we all were like ok, as long as we don’t hit 7 times we’re ok :rofl:. And we didn’t hit 7!

3 Likes

Did they leave an X on your arm to mark the IV spot for the future nurses?..

2 Likes

:joy: :rofl: :joy: @vdm - Good plan for ppl w/ deep veins!

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I should get a tattoo with a big X on my left arm where they found the vein!

4 Likes

A QR code to the YouTube video with the instructions.

2 Likes

It has been about 24 hours since the surgery, and I am feeling great! Didn’t take any pain medicine since 12 last night and the only pain I have is my throat is very sore, and its hard to eat but all things to consider this is a dream come true so far!

Day 2

4 Likes

Yay!! So glad you made it through and you’re feeling ok all things considered. My throat was really sore for a few days as well, I think it was from the intubation but who knows, could have even been from having that spiky bone pulled out of the area. Hang in there!

1 Like

So pleased that you had the surgery this time! Sounds like it was as good an experience as is possible, glad the team were good, and that you can laugh about your experience :grinning: Take care of yourself & don’t rush back to doing lots :hugs:

2 Likes

Hi @hyperichard!

Sorry that I missed to wish you good luck before your second attempt having surgery. I’m so glad for you that the surgery took place this time and
even more that you are doing so good so far. The incision looks nice too. Wishing you a smooth and quickest recovery! :four_leaf_clover:

Best regards

4 Likes

Great news! I hope that keeps up. Just know that tomorrow through Mon may be a bit rougher but maybe not! Some people don’t seem to go through those harder days. We had a member a few years ago who went back to work the day after surgery. He was self employed & said he couldn’t afford the time off. He is one tough cookie!!

1 Like

Another update:

Teeth are feeling some pain, and jaw as well. But again all things considered very happy!
Here is my scar (: looks pretty good if you ask me!

2 Likes