Pain management

Is anyone dealing with long term post surgery pain from ES or re growth? if so how are you best managing your pain! Thanks!

Hi mooncat,

sorry that you're having problems again post-op- do you know if it's re-grown, have you had more scans? How long ago was your op?

If you check out katpoo99's discussions 'one year post-op', and 'can styloids grow back after surgery', you'll see that others have had problems too, but no-one's been on recently to update us! You could try contacting those members directly.

I'm only 2 months post-op, am still taking amitriptyline for the nerve pain; although pain has eased if I try reducing the medication it's definitely still there! I know it's still early days for nerve pain though.

Hi Mooncat,

I had my left styloid removed intra oral-through my mouth. The styloid was coming through over the middle of my tonsil. I didn't have tonsil removed. I didn't have lasting pain. Just lasting soreness over the scar tissue. Then I noticed symptoms returning about a year later? I have a posting with more detailed info on it. Check it out.

My surgeon removed the second styloid with the help of another surgeon. The scar was above the other scar. I couldn't sleep that night period my nose was plugged up. Next night I used nose strips. I love those nose strips! Slept great. Back to the healing. It took a little longer to heal. I now have 2 areas of soreness over scar tissue. It feels sore/raw. Its just always there. Nothing takes that away. No mouthwash, gargling with peroxide either. Just living with it.

I'm sorry to hear you are having pain. My right styloid needs removal but I just had ACDF surgery on my spine so that takes time to heal. I take 1 - 1/2 lorazepam to get me to sleep at night. If my neck bothers me to much I will try ibuprofen, but thats frowned on after acdf surgery. Taking an extra 1 mg lorazepam during the day seems to help my neck pain. It doesn't always take the nerve pain away totally, but some how, probably since its an "anxiety" drug, I just get my mind off it for some time so I can do normal daily activities. I also do Physical Therapy. It helps, and the laser feels good. However it doens't last. I just hope over time it gets better and better.

I hope more members write to you. I would be interested in reading what they do for pain management. Its possibe my neck pain is still due to my elongated right styloid. And my left side feels like somethings going on again there. Just gets sore over both sides. Like swollen glands. My r/ear gets pressure in it and above it. I need to get another CT scan. Just have enough to do right now with having had spine surgery and going to PT.

I'm glad you posted your question. Hope you get some some good feedback.

Hi mooncat
I’m 3yrs post op, external right side removal, having a nightmare at mo’, negotiating with GP to get back to surgeon, I’m convinced have regrowth or something going on. Feels like stone perhaps, lots choking problems. Feel like self operating soon!! surgery works for some, not for all unfortunately. Had amytryptaline, gabapentin, get fed up with popping pills!

Wishing you well,
Rgds

Hi Sue!

Thanks, for chatting!

Let me know if your going in for surgery! How do you deal with the pain?

They just scheduled me yesterday to remove 7 cm of ossified ligament and styloid process on the left side in two weeks. another big scar on the left side of the neck but, gotta getter done.

Wishing you well.

Heather

Hey Sue,

Hows it going? Did you get more surgery done on the right side or did the pain go away?

Heather

mooncat said:

Hi Sue!

Thanks, for chatting!

Let me know if your going in for surgery! How do you deal with the pain?

They just scheduled me yesterday to remove 7 cm of ossified ligament and styloid process on the left side in two weeks. another big scar on the left side of the neck but, gotta getter done.

Wishing you well.

Heather

Hello All, interesting topic? I just had my second surgery to remove my (L) Styloid this past Friday. I was having terrible earaches on the ® side. A post-op check revealed I do have TMJ, on the ® side. Got a shot of Cortisone in there and so far not one earache! Both procedures were done external as both Styloids were fused to my Hyoid bone. Is it true that in some the Styoids grow back??? I know it will take time to really see an improvement in many of my symptoms…nerves and all. For now just happy not to have those killer earaches! I will try to be more diligent about reporting my recovery. I can only hope that I can report I’m doing better everyday. We all need to know that there are success stories out there so the Hope doesn’t die… Happy Holidays to All & hope this New Year brings Relief to so many who are in need!