Possible Eagle's w/ CT scan

The fullness in the ears and head I had would build up more through the day and could be almost unbearable by the evening. That was down to the compression of the jugular vein, and has 99% gone post-surgery. (One of the jugular veins hasn’t completely sprung back, which is why I get a little pressure feeling if I’m stressed and blood pressure goes up!) So surgery for me was a massive improvement and well worth it. Dizziness when you’re turning your head like Seamom describes is more likely from arterial compression, so yours does sound as if it could be jugular. That said, it doesn’t help your dilemma of intra-oral vs external surgery… I hope that maybe you could find another surgeon to try.
(The injections can help with pain, byt obviously wouldn’t help any vascular symptoms.)

So I’ve been thinking more and more about this. One thing I’ve thought of is that with vascular compression you would get dizzy and stuff if it were the internal carotid artery which is being compressed but I feel like if the external carotid artery is being compressed the symptoms may be fairly similar to my own. Also it would make sense if it’s only partially compressed that when i lie down at night the blood can flow much more easily to my head but after sitting and standing all day i get the feeling because the flow must also overcome gravity all day long. Not a doctor so I don’t know that this makes sense but i do know the internal carotid supplies the brain as the external supplies the face and neck.

A question if anyone happens to know. When they do an intraoral surgery I know that they only take a portion of the styloid. But there are multiple things attached to the styloid. There is the stylohyoid ligament itself attached to to the tip but also 3 muscles; styloglossus, stylohyoid, and stylopharyngeus.

If they’re taking the entire styloid out as they did for Jules i can only assume that all these muscles are cut as well but when only a portion of the bone is removed it seems as some may continue to be attached at the base of the styloid. I assume none of them are essential but wonder if the muscles themselves could cause some of the compression and be part of the beneficial outcomes of surgery we see.

I’ll try to email my doctor to see what he thinks but wondered if anyone had asked this question before. What all is removed/detached during this sort of surgery.

Great questions, Skip. Starting with your doctor is a good place to get some answers. I didn’t realize there are muscles attached to the styloid process. I know the ligament plays a small role in swallowing, & yes, I have had intermittent periods where I swallow liquids down the wrong way & cough a bit, but I actually had this problem before my surgery (a side effect of ES?) so I can’t say it was caused or worsened by having the ligaments removed during surgery.

I’ve never heard of the muscles themselves becoming calcified, only the stylohyoid ligament. I know that a lot of members have muscle tension etc from the pain and irritation, and some have benefitted from muscle relaxants like Baclofen, so possibly muscles could cause a few problems… But if the main source of the irritation (I.e. the styloid process) is removed, then I would’ve thought that any muscle tension etc. would settle too. As to what happens to the muscles/ ligaments when the styloid is removed- it’s something a lot of members ask, but have never got a specific answer from doctors- only that they wouldn’t notice any difference. (I certainly never did!) If you can get a better answer, that’d be great!

When my Dr. removed my styloids he said he cut the muscles loose and the jugular vein fell away from being compressed. So perhaps your thinking is correct. I know that my syncope, headaches, ear fullness, etc. had stopped since my second surgery with a complete removal of both my styloids and a grinding of my skull at the SP attachment points my Dr said that my Styloids CANNOT regrow [bonus for external surgery].

I don’t seem to be missing my muscle attachments nor my hyoid ligament. My smile is even and full, make tongue is working fine and my face is its normal evenly round shape :wink:

Well I called to make my appointment for the surgery today. I just can’t stand it anymore. I’m not sure it will fix it but I have to do something. Everyday I have this pressure in my face and ears and my neck aches. If it’s not it I’ll have to figure something else out but doing nothing just isn’t working anymore. They’re supposed to call me back by Tuesday to actually make a date but the girl said the schedule was pretty open and it would probably be pretty soon. Just going to do the left side. Hoping with everything that this is the cause but at least I’ll know and can move on to something else if not. Kind of got a bit of an adrenaline rush just calling and knowing it’s actually going to happen…

Hope that you don’t have to wait too long- let us know when you get a date!

Hi Skip, hoping everything works out for you! Many of your vascular symptoms sound like what I experience. I too have a heavy load of premature beats-pvcs to be exact. I have been looking into ES since my dentist pointed out calcifications on my panorex but I certainly don’t have a diagnosis. Please keep us posted and best of luck!

Scheduled for June 7th! Things are starting to get really real… haha. Don’t have to wait too long.

That’s great news! Obviously I hope all goes well! There’s lots of info on the site and tips for what to expect if you’ve not already looked. Best wishes :relaxed:

Hi Skip sorry I’ve been away for a few weeks. You might want to check out my “Surgery shopping list” it has some suggested items to buy before surgery. I am very happy for you. I hope your surgery relieves all of your symptoms - I am happy I had both of mine! Let me know if you have questions - I’ll be back on Monday. - Seamom

Hi Skip, did you end up having surgery and if so, has it helped your pain/symptoms. Hope so all round!