Post surgery problem

Hi Jules - yes, one of the doctors I saw previously mentioned that my styloid was going back at an odd angle.

Looks like we're ok in Hawaii. Thanks for asking : )

Zdravka, thank you for the info. Iā€™m not exactly sure what my Burning Yongue is from other than all this nerve damage. I think it is secondary to that - Iā€™m going to try to address it directly now as it is very painful. I will check out the group on FB - I donā€™t like to discuss my illness on FB as I have a lot of business friends on FB and Iā€™d rather them not know about my problems. Thanks for all the good advice. Eddie

Zdravka, I saw your status and that your doctor wants to do an intraoral surgery. I want to say that while I think it's best to get the whole styloid out (which I believe is usually done with an external surgery), it's not necessary in lots of cases. A lot of people have been successfully treated with intraoral surgeries and without getting all the styloid taken out. Because of my situation, I've been telling people to try to get all the styloid out, but I don't want to scare people from getting surgeries that could still help them. I think if it's possible to get the whole styloid taken out, you should go for it, but if you can't get that done, your chance of a decent cure is still good with a partial styloidectomy. It's hard to know what to tell people because all our situations are so different.

heidemt said:

Yes, absolutely.

Zdravka said:

Dear heidemt...so the best thing is to take out the whole styloid right up to the scuul base?Thank you ?

@eddieh - I am 6 weeks post surgery and am having this same issue. Have you seen any improvement with time and PT? It is a miserable feeling! Wishing you the best!

@eddieh hasnā€™t posted anything in a few years so if you donā€™t get a reply, please donā€™t be discouraged. It seems once our members recover from their surgeries, they often move on w/ their lives & away from this forum (understandable). Those who are here now will do the best we can to give you answers & support. :blush:

I have this. trapezius problem even before surgery.

@Jebin - one of the cranial nerves irritated by elongated styloids is the spinal accessory nerve. When itā€™s upset, it causes pain in the SCM (sternocleidomastoid muscle) neck muscle, the trapezius (all 3 levels,) scapula, collar bones, & shoulders. I had significant pain in my neck, collar bones & shoulders until my styloids were removed, then it went away.

Hereā€™s a link to a short video that will give you information about the accessory nerve:

2 Likes