Prolotherapy and Surgery booked In Melbourne

My son was told nothing heavier than 5 pounds for at least 2 weeks, but he had EXTERNAL surgery. Doctor recommendations may be different for internal.??? Then begin lifting gradually and see how it impacts you. When he started lifting a backpack (approximately 15 pounds), neck pain and shoulder pain was tough. So then he got a bag on wheels. He needed that for about 2 months after the second surgery because of the complications. Now he is fine to lift heavy things (it has been 5 months since the last surgery).

Had surgery one week ago. Can’t imagine having to lift anything right now.

my surgeon and I didn’t discuss lifting but I’m not doing any until I see him in 2 weeks. I’m avoiding any sudden or sharp neck movements as this hurts. Anyone know how soon I should change my wound dressing? The hospital said leave it for 2 weeks when I see my surgeon but that doesn’t seem right?
Thank you all for your well wishes it means a lot.

I don’t have a wound dressing. Surgery was done externally, but doctor sewed me up with dissolvable stitches on the inside of the wound, covered with surgical glue on the outside.

Ok my wound is in my neck and all bandaged up

Again external -- We could take off everything except the steri strips, which had to be removed by the doctor, but our follow up was one week later to have them removed. And there was no drain. If there is a drain, then your bandages may need to stay on??? You shouldn't take any advice from us since every surgery is different. You should call your office or the hospital where it was done and they will have someone appropriate call you back to answer your questions.

How are you feeling, Emipie? You've been on my mind & in my prayers this week.

You should probably call your doctor's office to check on this first, but here was my scenario w/ my doctor's instructions: I had dissolving sutures covered by steri-strips (thin surgical tape) then a gauze pad over the steri-strips & more tape over the gauze to hold it in place. You probably have stitches - dissolving or not - beneath your bandage. Here are the instructions my surgeon gave me for my post op bandage care:

1) Remove the outer layer of bandage (i.e. tape & gauze pad) the day after surgery. It will peel off w/ gentle pressure. Do not use water.

2) The incision will have a layer of white bandages that look like tape. These are called steri-strips. They will come off on their own. After they come off, do not cover the incision. Leave it open to the air.

3) You may wash the area with soap and water starting 3 days after surgery. (Presumably washing would make the steri-strips come off. This instruction was unclear to me so I covered the steri-strips w/ plastic wrap when I showered. My surgeon ended up removing them at the post-op visit.)

4) Do not put anything else on the incision until you are seen for your post-op appointment.

My surgeon (Dr. Samji) also recommended Mederma skin cream to help the scar be less visible. Some drug stores in the U.S. sell it, but I bought some on Amazon that also contained sunscreen as Dr. Samji recommended using sunscreen (30 plus spf) on my scar daily for a year post op.

I hope you're healing well and have been able to manage the post op discomfort with ease.

Hug to you!

Hello Emipie,

I'd be very interested to know how have you been since this surgery? Was Dr Naatri good and did you have any lasting effects? I'm particularly worried about the potential to sever facial nerves as part of this procedure.

I've now asked my GP for a referral to this surgeon (I'm in Tasmania and there's only one guy here who seems to know anything about this condition - but he won't attempt the extraoral approach as he thinks its too risky. He attempted the intraoral approach on me but it failed).

Hope to hear from you.

Hi All,

I’m doing well and nearly 3 weeks post surgery. I did have a bout of the same ‘eagles’ pain about a week into my recovery but haven’t had any severe pain since then. I took pain relief for about 4 days post my recovered still have some surgical pain at the sight.

I have not noticed any facial weakness at all although at my 2 week follow up last week Mr Nastri noted to his registrar that I had slight facial weakness. I can’t notice it at all nor can any of my family or friends.

Nastri was wonderful. I can’t speak any more highly of him and am so grateful he took the time to look after me. I don’t think this is the kind of operation he likes to do too much but my styloid was acceptionally long and he wanted to help me.

I have posted some photos. About 3.5cm of my styloid was removed, just over half. As much as was absolutely possible via the external route. Have also posted photo of my scar. Nastri and his registrar (I think that’s what he’s called, Anyway another doc) sutured me up using dissolvable sutures and I kept the same steristrips on for the full 2 weeks, just very carefully changed the outer ‘waterproof opsite’ bandage. Being careful to gradually take it off it it did get wet on the inside or look messy. I hope that helps everyone. I’m so very grateful for everyone’s support on here.

Other thing was In was in hospital just for a day procedure which was great.
122-DSC_0060.JPG (1.55 MB)
123-DSC_0061.JPG (1.45 MB)
124-DSC_0093.JPG (657 KB)

That's a decent chunk of bone!!

Glad to hear it all went really well - hopefully I will get to Melbourne soon and see this guy.

Cheers

Glad to hear that you've been doing well Emipie! And Tomahawk, I hope that you can get to see this surgeon soon!