Recovering from 2nd side

Recap: On May 11, 2015, I had the left side resection styloid process with tonsillectomy. It was 3.6cm.

Fifteen days post-op for right side resection styloid process with tonsillectomy. It was 4.1 cm.

My Dr. is Dr. Wm. Garvis in Mpls., MN at Abbott Hospital.

Second surgery is a little different in that I can hardly talk; it's total garble, if that's a word. Dr. G. said he had to go deeper and that what I am experiencing is completely normal. Talking about this 2nd one, he did mention it was 'impressive' and he feels the right call had been made as far as having it done.

He's giving me three weeks off, the same as last time. I am 62 now and don't just bounce back like some of these insurance think we should.

All in all, I know I am happy to finally be getting past this and can move forward.

Judy

Good too hear!! Did both sides hurt and causing problems? What were your symptoms?

Do you mean before or after the surgery regarding the pain?

My issues revolved around my jaw. We could not keep my jaw in alignment. In the past five yrs. I have spent thousands upon thousands (literally) of dollars. I would go back and forth to St. Paul (150 miles rt.) to my MN Cranio facial center where my Doc would stretch and stretch that muscle. I finally talked him into getting new scans to see what we were dealing with. That's when he talked about the styloid processes. It took time to find the 'right' Doc and make plans. I knew w/o a doubt that if there was even one in a millionth of a chance, I would go for it. Actually, on the left side, Doc said the styloid was sticking directly into the tonsil and it just broke off in it. YES.. I would recommend this procedure.

So I assume you had intra-oral surgery rather than external?

I did. He had told me that there's a risk of damaging a facial nerve so why take that risk. And I am actually glad my tonsils are now gone in my old age.

BeachGirl said:

So I assume you had intra-oral surgery rather than external?

Yes sorry I meant your symptoms before surgury. I can't wait too get this surgery done some day...Im tired of living...too painful

Hope you soon heal, sounds like it might be a bit longer than last time though, and like you found before, 3 weeks isn't going to be long enough, not with a physical job! Best wishes, and thanks for letting us know how you are!

Thank you. Day 16 and my oldest told me I sounded a bit better today, nasally speaking wise.

If I didn't continuously keep seeing my 'jaw' Doc, the pain was horrible, made me extremely nauseous. Like one having a migraine. I couldn't wait to see my Doc so he could do his myofacial release. But it wouldn't hold. His thoughts were the styloid process was there keeping that muscle tight. Living with daily pain is a nightmare.

After the first side was done, I got a taste of what it was like to live with chronic pain. It was Very painful, especially deep down in the ear area. But just stay on top of the pain, keep taking the pain meds to get through it. Thank you.

Thats good you are doing better! I love positive stories on this! As in the near future I'm hoping to god to get this surgery done.. Did you need to get both out? were they both causing pain? I couldn't imagine having pain on both sides i probably die...One side is bad enough too handle.. At 30 I feel like em too young for this..ugh

I do wish you the very best.

We did the left side first as that was the side with the tight muscle. The styloid was 3.6. I knew I wanted them both done as it felt like this whole process was unfinished business. The right side was 4.. and I never wanted to go back and deal with this again. Because my insurance was already at 100%, I knew now was the time. Now I just want to finish healing and move on, and hopefully this ongoing issue of mine will finally be resolved.

ps.. I'd asked my Doc in the beginning as to why not do both at the same time. He said something to the effect that it would be too much trauma. And I do concur with his assessment.

Your so lucky you have got this done! and your doing good!!....Im still waiting on my referral for this too be done!!...Oh to have my life back would be a blessing !

I had the same issue with my speech after my first (right) styloid resection. My hypoglossal nerve was wrapped around my styloid & had to be partially unwound so the styloid could be shortened. The result was an irritated nerve and a speech impediment that lasted 6 months plus it was a challenge to eat. The right side of my tongue was basically paralyzed. I could still feel it, just couldn't move it. As my left styloid continued to elongate it began to press on the back of the left side of my tongue, so as my right side healed, I continued to have speech issues because of the left styloid. Now that both have been removed, my speech is much better, but I still have trouble if I exercise too hard or am very tired. I'm hoping my speech will completely return to normal, but if not, it's 90% better than after my first surgery so I'm satisfied with that. Just glad to be done with the ES pain!!

Oh my; six months is a long time. But it's better than the way we were living. Thanks for sharing.

It was a long time coming. Your day will come and I wish you success.

Kelx said:

Your so lucky you have got this done! and your doing good!!....Im still waiting on my referral for this too be done!!...Oh to have my life back would be a blessing !

Thought I'd mention this while it's still fresh. I bought a bottle of this recently in case I do decide to have that 'forced' vaccination at work. IF I do, it would be the egg-free one 'cuz it has four less harmful things in it. The link I'll share is to help remove the toxic chemicals. (Another story). Anyway, aside from there still being swelling, and my right ear is blocked, I just decided to begin this extract early 'cuz it does sound like it may help.

http://hartonweb.com/nsp-herbs/herbsbacktonature.com/?sn=1751-2

I was remembering you had had some issues with this, too.

It's now six weeks post-op and still talk like one who has a cleft pallet. I wasn't believing anymore that this was all normal. So this morning I saw Dr. Garvis again.. he's never seen this/had this happen. He mentioned possibly the 9th nerve wasn't working as it should. He recommended speech therapy. I have an appt. in town set up for next Monday.

After seeing Dr. G, I drove over to St. Paul to my 'jaw' Doc. He did a little checking and testing and said there were 2-3 nerves involved; the good news was they were partially working. His associate also has a degree in speech pathology and she came in and talked with me. She said the nerves can regenerate themselves.

The nerves (I think) could be 10 and 12 and maybe one more. The right side feels partially paralyzed compared to the left. Tongue not working fully, gag reflex only partially, etc.

I'm trying to think of a term to use when folks at work ask me about it. I don't want to say 'damaged'; maybe injured?

What we won't do for our health. I remember swearing an oath that I would do whatever it took to beat this.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Judy

Isaiah 40:31 said:

I had the same issue with my speech after my first (right) styloid resection. My hypoglossal nerve was wrapped around my styloid & had to be partially unwound so the styloid could be shortened. The result was an irritated nerve and a speech impediment that lasted 6 months plus it was a challenge to eat. The right side of my tongue was basically paralyzed. I could still feel it, just couldn't move it. As my left styloid continued to elongate it began to press on the back of the left side of my tongue, so as my right side healed, I continued to have speech issues because of the left styloid. Now that both have been removed, my speech is much better, but I still have trouble if I exercise too hard or am very tired. I'm hoping my speech will completely return to normal, but if not, it's 90% better than after my first surgery so I'm satisfied with that. Just glad to be done with the ES pain!!

Sorry that you're having all this to deal with... but sounds positive that they may well heal themselves. B group vitamins are supposed to be helpful for nerve repair. I guess you could say that the nerves have been stretched in surgery and will take a while to settle- doesn't sound as permanent as damaged! Best wishes and hope things settle soon.

Thank you, that's a good way to phrase it. Stretched. It's funny you mention B's as I was going through my vitamins last night and was finding my B1, B2, B6s.. Excellent advice.

Jules said:

Sorry that you're having all this to deal with... but sounds positive that they may well heal themselves. B group vitamins are supposed to be helpful for nerve repair. I guess you could say that the nerves have been stretched in surgery and will take a while to settle- doesn't sound as permanent as damaged! Best wishes and hope things settle soon.

Hi Winterinmn,

I've had a bunch of Eagles surgeries and have had some kind of nerve issues after all of them I think. Like droopy lip, numbness and nerve pain on one side of my jaw and face, not being able to eat on one side and things like that. They mostly resolve in about 2-3 months. So I would say don't be too worried about what's happening. All kinds of nerves are involved and they take their own sweet time healing. The fact that they are partially working is a very good sign. I think it's just going to take some time. Six weeks out after surgery really isn't all that long, so I think there is still lots of healing going on.

Why have you had so many??
That doesn’t sound promising! I just want one and be done! Painful enough! Did they take it down from the base of the skull?

heidemt said:

Hi Winterinmn,

I've had a bunch of Eagles surgeries and have had some kind of nerve issues after all of them I think. Like droopy lip, numbness and nerve pain on one side of my jaw and face, not being able to eat on one side and things like that. They mostly resolve in about 2-3 months. So I would say don't be too worried about what's happening. All kinds of nerves are involved and they take their own sweet time healing. The fact that they are partially working is a very good sign. I think it's just going to take some time. Six weeks out after surgery really isn't all that long, so I think there is still lots of healing going on.