Recently diagnosed with ES - HELP!

I was recently diagnosed with bi-lateral ES and met with a surgeon Friday May 9, 2014. He has only performed intra-oral surgeries on 2 patients in his 30 years+ career. He thinks I should have that surgery as well. Does anyone have advice on whether that is the best route or not? I have been in severe pain for about 4 months now. I don't want to have to go back and have the external surgery too if this is not successful. By the way, the doctor is Dr. Gaylis at Scripps Torrey Pines in La Jolla, CA.

Hi So Cal Char - I'm sorry to hear you've been diagnosed with Eagles, but I'm glad you're here. There's lots of information here in all the past discussions.

In my experience, and from what I've read from many others, it's far better to get the whole styloid taken out with an external surgery the FIRST time so you don't have to go back later and try to find someone to do a revision surgery. I think you're right to question that doctor's advice. It's also much better to go to a surgeon who has a lot of experience doing Eagles surgeries.

Good luck to you.

Saw you got prescribed acid reflux pills seems to be pretty common for us during are Diagnosis struggle

Intraoral laser worked well on me. Only half styloid removed though.

Dizzy55313 said:

Eva said: Very curious about intraoral lazer sounds less invasive. What was down time and aftermath like for you Dizzy?

Dizzy55313 said:

Try to get a second opinion if not sure. I had external route done by Dr. Samji in San Jose, CA. He did both sides and happy with the results. I flew from Texas to California since there are few choices of experienced surgeons. There is a Doctors list on here.

I had intra-oral surgery. Only one side so far, second side scheduled for June 24. The doctor removed 2 cm, basically just taking it down to a normal size. I can tell a huge difference so far. Can't wait for the other side to be done.

Hi. I had my right side styloid process partially removed..not the whole process. This was about 8 years ago. I am sorry to say I have had problems. I feel like an ice pick is pressed against my ear sometimes and I have found myself sleeping funny to accommodate this pain. I am at wits end now. The oral surgeon who did the surgery has left Chicago for San Jose for private practice. I am trying to find someone who is familiar with this in Chicago. Any recommendations? I am one of those who wished they never had the surgery.

There is a Mayo Clinic in AZ that does this. I would go with someone that has experience. I have had pain for four years 24-7 and just got Diagnosed. I live in SC and there is no one in our area NC or SC . Not even at Duke. I have to go to Kentucky to see Dr Okeson at U of K. If you have the means not to be experimented on. Go where they have done it before. The pain is like no one else knows or understands. God be with you!