Regrowth of styloid previously removed to skull base

I was just going to ask this question. I had my right side done in 2015 and my left in 2019. In the last month my right side feels just like it did when I didn’t know what I had. It feels like something poking under my mandible. I think I’ll call my dentist to get a pan-ex done. That will show it. In 2019 my doctors said there was no indication of my right side growing back. Can it grow that much in two years?

Hi I_am_Groot,

I’m so sorry you’re feeling ES symptoms again. Two years seems to be the magic number for our members who’ve had regrowth i.e. for many it’s about two years after their ES surgery. Getting a pan-x done is a good idea though it won’t be truly diagnostic. You’d need another CT scan for that.

Please let us know what you learn. We’re here for you!

Thanks. When I look at the first pan-x my dentist did in 2010 and then showed to several other doctors (who said there was nothing wrong for the next 5 years) it sticks out like a sore thumb! I wish I knew then what I know now. The problem now is I know there is a lot of scar tissue and bone fragments there.

Bone fragments can shift around & scar tissue can also put pressure on your nerves. It is possible that instead of regrowth you have those two things causing symptoms. I believe scar tissue is visible in a CT w/ contrast. Scar tissue can be reduced by massage or laser therapies, & if bad enough, surgery. Bone fragments would have to be located & removed surgically, I expect.

How did you end up w/ bone fragments? Did they escape when your styloid was removed?

This one came out in many pieces. The radiology on my last scan said there were fragments.

Fragments sounds like styloid “shrapnel”. I’m sorry there were bits left behind. Those chunks look exceedingly thick. WOW! I am really sorry you’re having symptoms again.

@CobyCo I got a notification about this thread because my handle/logon name was used.
I am sorry to read about your regrowth. My son is doing great now. It has been 5 years since his last surgery and he is still pain-free. As an aside, his surgeon absolutely took the bone out back to the skull base during all 4 surgeries (2 on each side). That did not prevent regrowth. We are hopeful and prayerful that it never regrows again! I hope you can get relief from this torturous condition. My heart is with you all.

2 Likes

And if you haven’t yet, you can read my son’s case. Here is a link: https://store.bookbaby.com/book/Connecting-the-Dots4

1 Like

@Ear_Mom, Thank you for replying to this thread! We appreciate your willingness to come back & “visit” occasionally. It’s also great to hear your son is doing so well now! :heart:

1 Like

So glad he’s doing well now! :relaxed:

1 Like