I will post this in the Doctors sections as well. To avoid being long winded, I will say that I did not plan to have surgery in Louisiana as I was looking to Dr. Jason Newman and Dr Samji in PA and CA, respectively. As providence would have it. I have family in Louisiana and had reason to see a doctor in Louisiana and I was referred to Dr. Daniel Nuss, Skull base physician with many years of experience.
He is every bit as qualified and kind as any doctor I have researched and I have researched every doctor on this site before I got too ill in 2016 to continue. I also learned that Dr. Nuss just came from visiting Thomas Jefferson Hospital in Philadelphia so I asked him if he knew Dr. Cognetti. His answer was yes, they are friends. So everyone who lives down in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama, Arkansas or TX. If you have EAgles, you may need a referral, but we now have a new qualified doctor.
Dr. Daniel Nuss works out of Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center. https://marybird.org/doctor/nuss/
He is incredibly kind and honest about the unpredictability of nerves, but he is also incredibly experienced. I passed him up two years ago because of a previous contact with someone else in his group. Luckily, or as providence would have it, a doctor in Louisiana referred me to him
He does not hold strong opinions about what is and what is not Eagles. He knew about some things that I only thought might be symptoms. No promises with nerves, but he did a great 3D scan, decided, as I had hoped that he should redo the first surgery before going on to the other side. He said the styloid is shorter, but impressively thick and he had read my list of symptoms. I did not need to beg or argue with anything. He is on top of it. One of the other doctors already said he would only do the right side and not the left. I was in so much pain, I may have gone that route, but my gut told me that it could get much worse if i did that. So I was immensely relieved to meet Dr Nuss.
Mostly he wanted me to know the seriousness and the risks, because he did not want me to go into the surgery with my eyes closed. After the pain and years of suffering, I knew that I could only get worse and never better. I decided to put my fears out of mind and go for surgery. One week after my second appointment, I was in surgery and I am 8 days post op, all this since Aug 13th. I am blessed, I know this. I can have the surgery on the right side in 3 months if this one and my health continue to go well. I am counting on it to go so well that I can wait until after Christmas to do it, but depending on the nerves on the right side, I may be in surgery again as early as Dec 5.
If you are on the fence about surgery. 2 things to consider. 1. What is your quality of life? 2. Which sort of contradicts the first one. If you have had this too long, your nerves could be permanently damaged. I considered both of these. At first I waited, but I always knew that too long and the nerves can be permanently damaged. At this point, I am still not sure if one of my nerves will wake up screaming and never quit, but there has to be a point when I say. " If I do nothing, it can only get worse. " I assure you the last 6 months have been really scary for me.