Styloid ligament? Where is it exactly

Ossification & calcification are more or less the same thing. Ossification implies that your ligaments have "ossified" or turned from a soft tissue to bone. Calcification is the process whereby soft tissue ossifies.

From what I read on Google, there has only been one documented case of someone dying from an ES caused stroke. There is someone on this site who had a stroke that was attributed to ES but she is still alive to talk about it. I wouldn't worry too much about that happening as it is a very rare side effect of ES.

Kelx said:

Oh and what's the difference between calcification and ossification. My scan said ossification of ligaments.

Thank u! So is there a reason our body is turning things into calcifications? Too much calcium in our body not being absorbed right?? I do believe that sort a thing can turn our arteries into that? Lead too worse things?

There have been many discussions on the why part of ES on this forum. No one knows why a certain area will ossify and others won't. Some have speculated that there is too much calcium (which is an essential part of our electrolytes) available, but others like myself seem to have normal calcium levels when lab work is done. There has also been speculation that the styloid & ligament calcification is a result of head or neck trauma (both of which I've had). It was originally thought to only occur in people who'd had tonsillectomies but as you will see on this forum, that is not the case. Further speculation points to people with thyroid disease as being the recipients of ES but this is also not universal. The speculation list goes on, but so far, and likely because this is so rare, no one has put the money into researching ES enough to determine a cause or causes. I have never worried about arteries or veins calcifying. I still take my calcium supplements 2x/day as I have osteopenia and want to work at preventing osteoporosis in every way I can. You are still young enough that isn't a threat for you. :)

Kelx said:

Thank u! So is there a reason our body is turning things into calcifications? Too much calcium in our body not being absorbed right?? I do believe that sort a thing can turn our arteries into that? Lead too worse things?