Surgery tomorrow…

Has anyone every had an issue with laying down? If I put any pressure at all on face(laying on a pillow) my head feels like it begins to pulsate really fast then turns to what feels like shockwaves until I nearly pass out then I get numbness and tingling all over my head and neck, immense pressure build up my head, pounding in my ears and my vision either blurs, doubles, goes black or I see flashing lights. I have the Vascular Variant with ICA and IJV compression on the left and my IJV is basically completely compressed shut on the right. Surgery tomorrow to remove the left styloid. Just really hoping I am able to lay down soon. Sleeping upright in a couch has been miserable.

1 Like

Yes I recognise your symptoms from my own past experiences. For now wishing you a good outcome & a real benefit from your surgery tmrw. Surgery has helped my health improve. I hope it helps you too. We are all here for you & will offer the support we can. Good luck. D :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I will be praying for the best possible outcome from your surgery tomorrow. Please let us know how it goes when you feel up to reporting back. :hugs::pray:t3:

4 Likes

Thank you D

Laying flat is not good with vascular ES- I ended up sleeping in a recliner before my surgery too. And it would be too painful for the nerves on the side of my face to lie on my worst side…You’ll need to sleep semi-upright for a few weeks after surgery still to help with swelling, and ice your neck regularly. There’s lots of advice for what to expect after surgery on here if you’ve not seen any already.
I hope that your surgery goes well, will pray for you :pray:

I hope your surgery is changing in a very positive way @Tvitek. Looking forward to hearing how you’re doing post op! Glad you found a surgeon who could take care of your complicated case!! :pray:t3::hugs:

Holy crap this is painful. (Sore) I feel extremely fortunate not to be having any nerve pain issues. Knock on wood. Left styloid ended up measuring 5.5 CM in total and he removed the majority at 5CM and ground the rest down?

3 Likes

Great that you’re through with surgery! Don’t be afraid to ask for more painkillers if you need them- often the drugs used in surgery can help the first couple of days so it might get worse as they wear off. You’ll probably feel better when the drain’s out though…
Very long SP, that’s got to be better out than in! We have heard that some surgeons grind the bit that’s left to smooth it off.
Will pray for good healing :pray:

1 Like

That’s one crazy long & thick spike you had removed. You’ll definitely feel better once healing gets going. The drain makes things a bit more painful until it’s taken out but it does keep you from getting too swollen right after surgery. Sounds like Dr. Osborne did a really thorough removal so that’s EXCELLENT news! I’m glad that you saw him. BTW, your incision looks pretty amazing so soon after surgery.

1 Like

Get well :pray::pray::pray::pray: for full recovery. Happy healing

1 Like