Surgery with Mr Hughes London this Friday

Hi, so having mentioned to some members the diagnostic & self management benefits of Viatom ring before, I wanted to report that today Viatom changed the App with no warning. Trying to connect rings to App now problematic. Can’t see current or past data in same detail. All just averages. Maybe some user error on switchover but not good & so sharing to caution others. D

1 Like

That’s too bad. I’ve always wondered why companies feel the need to update software that works great & make into a nightmare/inconvenience to use. Sooo frustrating!

Frustrating for you! I hope it gets sorted soon & thanks for the heads up :hugs:

Hi, so went for CT scan at NNH today. They did use contrast but they did not do head rotation. I asked for copy of scan. You can get one but you have to take ID and fill out a form & then wait for medical records dept to post it to you. In private sector they just give you a copy while you wait. I don’t think nNH give copies unless you ask them. Sharing in case helpful info for others in future. My private consult is Jan 10 when hope you learn if JVs are open now or not. It’s clear to me I am better but not fixed.

If I can get image proving styloids were removed to skull base by Mr Hughes I will share that info. D

4 Likes

Thank you, I’ll be interested to hear the results of your scans. Glad to hear you feel you’ve had some improvement, and hopefully there might be some more as you recover in the coming months.

I hope you’re able to enjoy a well earned rest now :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thank you. Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a healthier 2023. D

3 Likes

Hi, brief update on Bodyflow (German machine) for lymph drainage that I just hired for another month. Despite some initial problem units (that did not recharge properly) the machine is now proving very helpful. It has a function to help move lymph fluids (eg for cancer patients after lymph node removal) and I have used the electrode pads on back, arms & stomach areas now. I can feel it moving the fluids down from my skull & neck areas. When head pressure becomes too high it is a relief to have a machine that helps to lower trapped fluid levels. Instructions suggest use 4 times a day but I sometimes use it more. I wish I had known about lymph system issues earlier. It makes sense that trapped blood issues in head result in lymph fluids trapped too. Sharing in case others might hire this type of machine to help them. D

3 Likes

So now approaching week 7 after last left styloid op. The terrible “high pressure jet” effect on rear of left skull is finally going now and rest of stats I monitor are starting to show improvement too. New problem last 2 weeks of extreme vertigo events if put head down or turn on side in bed, but hoping that will lessen. It’s worst if fluid trapped. Will find out next week if JVs opened or not on scan & post update. D :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

@PatientD - What great news about the high pressure letting up on your left skull base, but sad that a new symptoms is replacing it. I really hope for you that the vertigo disappears soon. I’m glad your follow-up for the IJVs is coming up soon. I hope & pray that they are open & flowing as they should & the vertigo is just the result of some residual swelling that has yet to dissipate. I also hope the excess fluid gets reabsorbed soon &/or your body stops producing more than needs to be there. :pray:

Thank you. In my case the Venogram showed that my brain on right side had grown abnormal venous structures at base of right brain (to help drain blood as JVs blocked I think) & my body always wanted to sleep on right side. it’s this area that is trapping blood & causing my vertigo attacks I think. But I am working out what causes it so can avoid triggers. I noted Venogram was missing a few pressure measurements on right side of brain due to this. Just have to see if body can adapt. If it grew them then I guess it can shrink them again ! D

2 Likes

As you noted, I’ve heard that when the body creates extra vessels to help w/ blood flow, it also shuts them down if the flow becomes more adequate through larger vessels. I expect it takes awhile for the shut down to happen, but I hope it will for you.

1 Like

Venous system is low pressure, so the blood flows where the least resistance is. As soon as fat jugulars properly open, that’s where it is

2 Likes

Thank you, that’s helpful info and encouraging. D

1 Like

Hi, so today I finally had my long awaited instability physio slot with Ann McCarthy in london . Had to discuss medical history but got some diagnostic/treatment time. To protect my head & neck I had almost stopped moving my upper body when walk. So not for first time had to be reminded to walk swinging opposite arm & shoulder to leg when walking. On leaving the clinic & doing that my body started to relax & yawn. Ann identified that I was breathing incorrectly & using my shoulders muscles when breathing. Part of past protection of head/neck I think. So got resistance band to tie round rib cage to “push out” while breath. I can tell it resulted in start of concrete painful shoulder tension reducing. Had things to improve lower neck rotation but that is probably relevant only to those with Eagles & Atlas instability/fusion. If in London I recommend Ann. She is very knowledgeable. Posting in case she can help other members. D

2 Likes

It’s really good to know you’ve found someone who has already given you helpful suggestions, @PatientD. I hope your body continues to appreciate the new movement patterns that help your gait be more of a flow than calculated movement.

Thank you. It’s now clear to me That my use of accessory breathing muscles has made my neck pain & shoulder tension worse. Will have to retrain every breath now to try & fix. Articles on accessory breathing say this is used in advanced lung disease, which I don’t have. I do believe past instability & pressure on brain stem did affect my breathing (brain stem controls breathing), so unsure if Eagles played a role too. Web suggests some simple tests to check if you are using accessory muscles to breathe. D

2 Likes

@PatientD About 18 months ago I started developing theory that my body was using various muscles improperly. Including torso muscles, abdominals, that became chronically stiff to give “support” for the body, as my real postural muscles were weak.

Guess what I concluded… When the abdominal muscles are tight, they also tighten everything in the abdominal cavity. Which means the diaphragm doesn’t have the room to sink when it relaxes. Which means that diaphragmatic breathing becomes limited. Which leads the body to use alternative breathing mechanisms.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing your past experience. I am sure this journey of rehab will reveal all kinds of issues. Ann told me she could have released more muscle tension but was too early as “what was underneath” may not be good. It was helpful to have someone who knows where to begin. Lots more future rehab homework no doubt. D

2 Likes

I’m glad you’ve been able to see a practitioner who you feel confident in, it makes sense that in protecting one area we cause issues with others, I hope that you see improvements!

1 Like

On my way to NNH now to discuss my scan results to find out if my JVs have opened as a result of surgeries in 2022. Must confess am now feeling a bit nervous as I know I am better than was but not fixed yet. Hoping for some good news. D :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes