Swollen lymphnodes on side of elongated styloid?

Does any else have constant swollen lymphnodes on the side that is affected by their styloid process? Mine never go away and it's so tender in that area all the time!!! I feel so miserable!!! I also get nauseated all the time as well. Anyone else?

Amanda79, I have tenderness on the right side. I have a sensation that something is stuck in my throat. It has impacted me because I have lost weight due to this...I am in the process of trying to figure all of this out. I don't have nausea-thank-God!! I can identify with some of your symptoms. Where are you at in the process?

I don't have nausea either, but I have had sore glands in my neck....however; the docs couldn't find any swelling there. The glands could feel sore all the way down to my collar bone area

Yes, me too, and swollen sub-mandibular gland the worse side too, don't know if that's the ES or something else. It could be that the body is recognising there's something there which shouldn't be, perhaps because nerves are inflamed, and going into an immune response? It's just a guess, as docs don't seem to believe that there's so many associated symptoms...!

1 Like

Always felt like swollen glands in my neck for years!

I was/am an ES patient...I don't have a lot of time at the moment, but I've had some ideas. I'm taking an anatomy class and have had the opportunity to really look at skulls, their structure, sinuses, and how they sit on the cervical spine. I've also been able to work with cadavers, and have kept ES in mind the entire time. By NO means does this make me 'in the know' or able to say what is what.

For this particular question, I am wondering if you have your tonsils, still? Also, do you have tonsil stones/tonsiloliths (you may not be able to see them...I had dozens and could not)? They would be white dots/streaks in your tonsil area. You may see nothing but notice a recurring sore throat, bad taste/breath, a whitish/yellowish/greenish coating on back of tongue at times, or the general symptoms you mentioned.

I just have some ideas and want to know if some of what lingers for me matches what others have. I am pretty lucky to have these questions and the gift of an anatomy lab to approach them with!

Tee, I had my tonsils taken out about 40 years ago. Right around the beginning of my eagles saga, I had a non-malignant tumor on my parathyroid removed that was discovered because my calcium levels were elevated. Not super elevated - moderately elevated. Those are the only things I've had that I think could be related to eagles. I've never had any trauma.

I had my tonsil out age 28

Not have had my calcium levels checked!

I think there's been a few discussions re. calcium levels. I was reading some research on ES recently, and they'd checked styloid length in relation to calcium levels (it was in the elderly, might even have been post-mortem), and found that the length was longer where calcium levels (due to ageing, kidney problems I think) were higher. I'm sorry I can't remember the survey, it was quite late at night! So there can be a link, but it's not always that.

I don’t have my tonsils anymore. Got them out 30 years ago. I do feel like my body is recognizing it as foreign and going into aniline response.

immune response. Sorry. :slight_smile:

Ah, ok...was thinking the swelling feelings could be that. I still have that feeling and a pressurized face/neck (like blood vessels are engorged from the neck up). I have Hashimoto's with goiter and a thyroid nodule as well that occasionally needs ultra sounding. I have a sinus irrigator that reveals some infection-type problem above the soft palate...thinking that tonsil up above there, or ethmoids could be draining, infecting tonsils, swelling. Thats' where I was going with that. The tonsils on me are huge, and I feel the remaining styloid against the tonsil, so wondering what in between is squished. I have recently gotten dry mouth/eyes, too.

My ES surgery (was vascular version with zero face pain): I did lose the vertigo (worth it just for that), most nausea (like it's rare now), most pulsatile tinnitus, heart palpitations. I had one side removed at the base a year ago.

I continue to have eustachian issues and the occasional headache, fatigue, and brain fog. These things are on or off and obvious when they show up....nothing subtle about them. The brain fog days result in sleeping most of the day and doing dumb things like putting laundry in the dryer when it needs washing, creamer directly in the coffee maker, stupid things that I would never otherwise do, different from being distracted or a temporary airhead.

I am typically a very motivated fitness person, happy with life, very type-A determined individual. I love my 'on' days! I have lots of them now compared to before!

Not had my calcium level ever checked. My D3 was 3x too low at one time. Normal now. My tonsils were out in 1963. However I do have some stenosis in my cervical spine. All these things I hope a doctor can address when I see one! I've been wondering if my stenosis started it all?? Until someone does a long term study of some kind we may never know what we all have in common.

Tee,

Some of your remaining problems could be Sjogren's Syndrome- dry eyes and mouth are often first symptoms, plus fatigue, and brain fog, plus sinus/ ear and respiratory tract problems. There's a Ben's Friend's group for it. SS is an autoimmune disease, although there's not a lot of treatment for it. The diagnosis can be quite hard to get too, as blood tests don't always show it. But there's some useful tips on the site for dry eyes and mouth. It's so hard with ES to know what it's causing, and what might be down to something else. I'm getting dry eyes and mouth too, but my own theory is that having the styloid rubbing and inflaming nerves might have triggered an inflammatory response.... I tried to put my dog's laundered towels in the freezer beside her cupboard today, so you're not the only one with brain fog!

Tee said:

Ah, ok...was thinking the swelling feelings could be that. I still have that feeling and a pressurized face/neck (like blood vessels are engorged from the neck up). I have Hashimoto's with goiter and a thyroid nodule as well that occasionally needs ultra sounding. I have a sinus irrigator that reveals some infection-type problem above the soft palate...thinking that tonsil up above there, or ethmoids could be draining, infecting tonsils, swelling. Thats' where I was going with that. The tonsils on me are huge, and I feel the remaining styloid against the tonsil, so wondering what in between is squished. I have recently gotten dry mouth/eyes, too.

My ES surgery (was vascular version with zero face pain): I did lose the vertigo (worth it just for that), most nausea (like it's rare now), most pulsatile tinnitus, heart palpitations. I had one side removed at the base a year ago.

I continue to have eustachian issues and the occasional headache, fatigue, and brain fog. These things are on or off and obvious when they show up....nothing subtle about them. The brain fog days result in sleeping most of the day and doing dumb things like putting laundry in the dryer when it needs washing, creamer directly in the coffee maker, stupid things that I would never otherwise do, different from being distracted or a temporary airhead.

I am typically a very motivated fitness person, happy with life, very type-A determined individual. I love my 'on' days! I have lots of them now compared to before!

Tee and Amanda79, Yes to both your symptoms. Tenderness and swelling, even tho nothing 'shows up'. Nastiness in throat: white chunks, green tongue, smell/taste/painful teeth, tongue, tickles in throat/ear....had to gag myself. All of this I believe was my body's response to the styloids, it was trying to heal or remove the culprit. All of my symptoms were gone as soon as I had surgery. Once I healed from surgery, there was nothing... I am having Physical Therapy to help get my muscles, tissues, etc., back in working order..... I also have scaring and adhesions from my Superior Canal Dehiscence Syndrome surgeries which cut into my skull and worked on the holes between my ear canals and brain.

My body does not like any foreign objects: stitches, metal, hard styloids and so it tries to eject and reject them. That has always been a problem, but most of drs. just looked at me ......

I also lost the fine tremor/electrical/'almost like skin falling asleep' buzzing feeling that was around my lips and in my jaw. I lost the nystagmus, also that I had looking far left and right, and upward. I'm sure that was all nerve.

Definitely itchy ear...I am a q tip junkie just for relief. I don't think the white chunks, tongue stuff is styloid for me. I think that's sinus draining onto tonsils. That's a bacteria thing which I still have. Oddly, the entire Eagle Syndrome thing was kicked off with a serious fungal sinus infection. I'm leaning toward infection being part of what I thought was ES. Certainly surgery was relief. But..is it because surgery relieved pressure in that area being caused by sinus infection? I'm exploring that. In someone with normal styloids, I think there would only be sinus issues, not the added problem of compressing vessels/nerves/tissues in the neck area.

On the calcifying end of things, the ducts to these glands can get blocked with calcium, so if we are prone to this calcifying, this would make sense. The blocking DOES swell up the glands. So maybe we are calcifying machines....styloids, ducts....who knows. I'm going to try to massage them a little bit to see if this relieves anything.

I’m 23 have it on my right side and also swollen glands throughout the right side of my neck it kills when moving my neck left to right as so on,

I have itchy ears, was told i had swollen lymphnode on the right side of my neck .

Do swollen lymph nodes return back to normal after the surgery?