Symptoms worsening by the week

I have been having trigemenal nerves occipital nerves irritation and pain for months now but today I had a series of 8 really bad pains in occipital. Took my breath away lightening bolts in my head !, I’m worried the continued irritation will cause permanent damage neuralgia. Do these type of symptoms generally resolve after surgery? Thx

I had Occipital Neuralgia, but this seemed to be caused by muscle tension in my neck, rather than ES- although others have had this symptom, just sharing my experience! I had a whiplash injury years ago & have had neck problems ever since, all tied in together, the pain made me tense, muscles bunched up & trapped nerves, pain got worse etc. I had a prolapsed disc C5-C6 too, which didn’t help. I had PT & the exercises I did helped the muscle tension, & I’ve rarely had the ON since. I also have Trigeminal Neuralgia, which was helped by the surgery, although I still have it mildly.
It’s worth persevering trying different nerve pain meds as some that work for one person may not for another…Amitriptyline helps me, but Gabapentin, Lyrica, Carbamazepine can all help.

1 Like

Tim l, I think I just sent you info on Dr Nuss. After surgery, that may dissipate entirely. Like Jules, I have some cervical issues and TMJ. Still get some pain akin to trigeminal neuralgia, but seems to be related to arthritic jaw. Hope surgery helps you. I would have flown to SanJose to Dr Samji if he would take me, but I think I was meant to go to Dr.Nuss. If he cannot help you, I hope that he can give you a referral and I would bet it would be a good one.
I will peek in on you. Hope you get help soon.

1 Like