Traveling to California for Dr. Samji's surgery today

Certainly eager to hear how your post op goes. How funny you don’t have cell service in Silicon Valley of all places! I feel there is a sitcom based on that premise.

I’ve had a couple sports related surgery’s due to injury and can tell you Oxy is tough on the digestive system. One thing I would stay away from is rice and heavy starches. They will not do you any favors in that department. Juice and ice cream did the trick for me.

I hope you have turned in your wings like so many here have. We’re rooting for you!

4 Likes

Love your sense of humor, Loumango! I laughed at the sitcom suggestion. I was also surprised that any cell phone service company in existence wouldn’t have a consistent signal in Silicon Valley!

I also like the “turned in your wings” thought! Good way to look at ES recovery!!

:joy:

2 Likes

Thanks so much Loumango! I’m completely off the Oxy and you are not kidding about the GI tract symptoms! That was really more of an issue for me than the pain, which was never really painful. The area does continue to swell and I am icing. Last night and today the spontaneous coughing attacks started up again. Uncomfortable to cough so hard with the surgery site and so embarrassing during COVID too. I really had not had these very much in the more recent years because I reasoned that the bone may have been growing past the trigger area, but now maybe the nerve is regaining some function? Hopefully it is just a sign of healing… would be wonderful to be over those attacks one day soon. The most recent coughing attack triggered vomiting too, but it’s probably because my GI tract has been through so much these days as this was the first time that has ever happened. I don’t have a fever or a headache and otherwise am doing pretty well. Hoping for a smooth couple of fights home tomorrow without coughing attacks or other problems. My COVID RT PCR test came back today and was negative so that hoop is cleared - but the phone app required to enter Canada (Arrive CAN) is down with a glitch that deleted all of my inputted travel info. It seems there is always something, but I’m still optimistic that I’ll make it back in time to spend Christmas with the kids. Once back, I hope to upload the sequential pictures of my surgery site.

I like that — turning in my wings :grinning: or maybe having my wings clipped :joy:

Have a wonderful holiday Loumango!

3 Likes

Hi Jules,

Thank you for your kind words :smiley: It is two flights - one from here to LAX - fast and then one 3 hour 15 min one to Edmonton, Alberta. I’m crossing my fingers for a smooth journey!

Thank you again for your support over these past months and for all of the helpful information you’ve shared with me!! :hugs:

2 Likes

I’ll pray all goes well with the ‘paperwork’ techie stuff & that you get home safely. Shame about the coughing fits starting again, but maybe like you say it’s the nerves healing or waking up…

2 Likes

I’m also praying for your safe flight home, no coughing & timely arrival back home. Hopefully there will be grace extended when you land since it was their problem not yours on the phone app.

Hoping for the very best! :pray: :hugs:

2 Likes

Hope you made it back ok Dizzy without too much eventful roadblocks. Hopefully once you get home in your own bed and comfortable things will progress faster. I saved the oxy for later in the day and rested. You are taking steroids right?
I had problems with nausea myself…mostly from anesthesia but it would calm down after a couple days. The oxy also upset my stomach so I limit its use because of it. NSAIDS give me stomach bleeds so I tough it out as long as possible. Its a balancing act.
Sorry the coughing has returned. Remember they just cut your neck open and its recovering. Have a good xmas with the kids and DONT over do it! Its kinda two steps forward, one step back with recovery for about 4-6 weeks.

3 Likes

Hi Everyone,

I did make it back OK and have been resting a lot. This morning I accidentally slept in till 11am - Opps! That probably hasn’t happened in decades…but I guess my body is telling me it needs the rest to heal. Fortunately my husband has been very supportive and is keeping the kids busy with cookie baking and other fun things while I rest up. Yesterday the swelling finally seemed to stop and I believe the swelling has decreased a little over night. The coughing attacks fortunately have abated - it was something that only came back for a couple of days. I am continuing to sleep elevated and also icing the area. The ice does feel good. The surgery site is still covered with the steri-strips, but I will plan to post a picture when I can see the scar site clearly.

(Still having some difficulty with posting pictures) but will try later on. Thank you everyone for your support and have a Merry Christmas!!!

3 Likes

Thank you for the update! So glad to know your cough has taken a hike & swelling is starting to reduce. That will make a big difference as your remaining symptoms should begin to slide away, too. Super glad you slept in this morning and YES, to therapeutic sleep. Sounds like you’re doing all the right things to help your body recover soon.

HOORAY for your husband taking care of the kids so you can be leisurely even though baking & doing Christmasy things is a lot of fun. You’ll be back to it soon enough.

I’m sorry to say your picture didn’t load. You might try dragging & dropping it into the text box If you click on the 3 dots at the bottom of your post, images come up, & one is a pencil. If you click on that, it allows you to edit your post so you could delete the current image link & try the alternate method of picture delivery. I’ve had to do that in the past & hope it works for you.

2 Likes

So pleased that you’re safely home! As Snapple says, being back home I’m sure will help with healing…really pleased too that the swelling is going down & the coughing has stopped :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Take it easy & hope that you have a great Christmas :bouquet: :hugs:

2 Likes

Glad you made it back Dizzy and on the road to recovery. Your hubby is a gem for stepping up with the kids while you really need it. Those steri-strips start to lift after a week or so. I would trim them with a little pair of scissors. I suggest sleeping elevated for several weeks or more. Get lots of rest and enjoy the holidays. Merry xmas :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes