Two Doctors; Conflicting Opinions

I’ve had a CT of my neck (not my skull). The initial radiology report said my neck looked fine. I had a second radiologist review it for Eagle’s and he said the stylo hyoid was ossified and “at least” 3.5 cm long, which “may” qualify as Eagle’s.

My ENT told me he looked at the CT and does not agree with the diagnosis of Eagle’s. He said he just doesn’t see it, and he has only seen Eagle’s on one side of the neck, never both.

Any thoughts on where to go from here? Is my ENT correct that Eagle’s is usually only on one side?

No, your ENT is not correct - it can absolutely be on both sides. There are many of us here on the forum with bilateral Eagles.

If your doctor doesn’t want to pursue it, you may need to look for another doctor who knows more about Eagles.

Thats exactly what my surgeon said…He has only seen it on one side of the neck…Thats is sooooooo untrue as I suffered with both…!!

I would think that the majority of people on here have had it both sides! I’ll try to have a look to see what research figures there are to support it too.

I have it on both sides, right one is 43.7 and left is 44.3. My right one is giving me the most grief, but I do have some pain on the left too.

I found a couple of articles mentioning Bilateral ES:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1013905210000945
(this mentions in research 55% of patients with ES had bilateral elongated styloids), and

-the authors in the opening paragraph state that Eagles Syndrome is ‘often bilateral’- but they don’t give any figures or references. I think that there may well be other figures in some of the research papers mentioned in the ES Info section, but haven’t trawled through that yet.
Sometimes it helps to have research papers which back up your case printed off to take with you to see the doctor.

Appreciate it. Thanks very much!

Also I found in an article by Kossar et al, 2011 published by Via Medica- Evaluation of the length and evaluation of the styloid process in the patient with pre-diagnosis of Eagle Syndrome
an investigation into styloid lengths; of their 22 patients 86% had bilateral elongated styloids. And in the article there was a reference to a study by Correll, Jensen,Taylor and Rhyne in 1979- Mineralization of the stylohyoid-stylomandibular complex- they reported a rate of 18% of people in the study with elongated styloid processes/ calcification, and that 93% of them were bilateral. (Not sure if all of those were symptomatic though!)