Weird Symptoms after Wisdom Teeth removal

Hi mikeg,

I’m sorry for what you’re going through. Others have had tooth extractions that flared up ES symptoms. Since your styloid was only partially removed, there is a chance it has regrown. There is also a chance that the piece that’s left is long enough it is causing symptoms again.

The nerve that can be affected w/ wisdom tooth extraction is the trigeminal nerve & sometimes the facial nerve. It’s often also affected by ES. The chest pain, throat (including choking sensation)/esophageal & gastrointestinal issues can all be related to vagus nerve irritation. With the exception of your chest being tender to the touch all other symptoms have been seen w/ ES. Many of our members have been treated for GERD w/o any results because the cause was vagus nerve irritation not extra stomach acid.

The “Magic Mouthwash” may contain lidocaine or some other numbing agent that will temporarily relieve pain but won’t make it go away permanently.

I would recommend that you ask your GP or ENT for a CT scan to revisit Eagle Syndrome to see how long your styloids are & to check for calcification on your stylohyoid ligaments. There are no ES doctors on our list for your state. That’s not to say there isn’t one but no one has recommended someone. There are two doctors in Nebraska & 2 in Minnesota. Using the magnifying glass icon above, you can get whatever information is on this forum about them based on posts by members who’ve seen them. If you can travel, then three good options would be Dr. Cognetti in Philadelphia, PA, Dr. Samji in San Jose, CA, or Dr. Milligan in Phoenix, AZ. These are the 3 most experienced ES surgeons on our Doctors’ List. Both Dr. Samji & Dr. Cognetti will do phone consults once they have your CT scan & radiology report in hand. I don’t believe Dr. Milligan does phone consults.

Here are pictures of where the vagus nerve & trigeminal nerve are in your body. Just seeing their locations can help to explain symptoms.

https://takefivemeditation.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/vagus.jpg

https://forum.livingwitheagle.org/t/us-doctors-familiar-with-es-2019/4752