What ability changes (not symptomatic changes) do you notice when the styloid processes are removed?

So I've been dealing with Eagle's for fifteen years, only a few of which I knew I had this condition. It is getting worse, slowly (thankfully). My number of low pain days is about the same, but my number of moderate pain dais is increased. I will eventually need the surgery.

My question is for those of you who have already had the surgery. Obviously they're taking out part of your innate anatomy. The way I understand it, the styloid process connects to the stylohyoid ligament, so taking out the styloid process detaches the ligament that suspends the hyoid bone.

Am I incorrect? If the process is removed and you experience any changes in your abilities, even fine ones like the ability to change your voice this way or that or the way it feels when you swallow, I'd like to know as much of this as possible.

Are you able to raise your voice, yell or sing after?

Are you able to breathe through a stuffy nose without pain after?

Are you still able to feel all of your face and everything in your mouth or did you wind up with numbness?

Does it change the way your throat feels when you speak, smile, or swallow?

Are there any other hidden concerns that I should know about before I opt for surgery?

Thanks for any clarity you can provide,

~ dan ~

Hello Dan

I have Eagle syndrome on both sides, I had the left side removed and still have the right side in place. I have a unique perspective with this situation. Prior to the surgery I think I grew to not realize the day to day discomfort of the 2 bones. Now that I have had one bone removed I can tell you my left side feels normal and my right side feels like a constant poking in my throat. In addition I can feel the right side every time I speak, swallow and turn my neck. I feel nothing on my left side where the surgery was completed. I wish my doctor would remove my right side but he feels it is not in the sever department yet. I realize there are risks to the surgery but I did not suffer any negative effects from the first surgery except the scar on my neck which was a easy trade off to be able to not be in sever pain.

Good luck with you decision and if you do choose surgery please give your body all the nutrients/good foods, rest and as little stress as you can so you can heal quickly

Ann

I can only relate my experience. Since having my right styloid ligament and styloid process removed in 2 different operations, I have had worsened swallow that I attribute to a change in hyoid position, thyroid cartilage jumps to the side when I turn my head sometimes, tenderness behind my jaw line on the right side, TMJ problems (aching jaw, clicking) which I never had before, fullness and crackling in the right ear when I tilt my head forward and worsened tongue weakness. These all appeared immediately after my surgeries and haven't gone away. It has been 4.5 months since my last surgery.

Hi Dan,

Here's another perspective: I also have bilateral ES & have had the right styloid shortened. I had hoped to have it removed to my skull, but the nerve that affects the motor control of the right side of my tongue was tightly wrapped around my styloid. My surgeon opted to remove less of the styloid than he had hoped in order to preserve the motor function of my tongue. I am slowly recovering function of the right side of my tongue which was lost due to the need to stretch the nerve a bit to remove it from the section of styloid that was taken out. I have been assured that my full tongue function will return w/in 4 months of my surgery (which was 11/17/14).

Don't let my scenario keep you from having surgery. I have said this to numerous people & firmly believe it - we are each made a little differently. The most common post surgical nerve weakness symptom is a slightly drooping lip that can last up to 6 months (see Charmion's posts & her picture of her post-surgical self). My situation is more rare, & I don't anticipate it will be duplicated on my left side which I plan to have surgically removed in May. My surgeon said the stylohyoid ligament has some minor role in larynx function. It doesn't support the hyoid bone. It's kind of like our appendix in that it can be removed & you won't even notice it's missing. So far I agree w/ this assessment.

About a year ago, when I was at church, & we were singing during worship, I noticed my neck tightening up & my jaw starting to hurt. I have fairly advanced TMJ & attributed this annoying problem to that. In retrospect, now that I've had one styloid shortened, I have noticed the pain is gone on that side but still very pronounced on the left where the styloid is in place. I can't wait to be able to sing again w/o pain!!! So in answer to your singing & talking question, in my case, removing the styloids will help me vocally. Read Eaglewontbeatme's posts as he had huge concerns regarding post surgical vocal changes since his career is in singing.

The lower part of my face on the right side along & just above my jaw line was numb after surgery & feeling is slowly returning. This hasn't affected my face or facial expressions in any way. Your throat will be sore for a couple of weeks after surgery but the pain subsides. You should be able to breathe through a stuffy nose w/o throat pain, eat, speak (unless you have an issue w/ the tongue nerve) & swallow just fine after ES surgery. Your surgeon won't know which nerves will be affected until he/she gets into the area where the styloid is & can see what's what.

A final note: I had extraoral surgery i.e. through my neck. My surgeon would only do one side at a time w/ a 6 month gap between so complete healing could occur on the first side. He said extra oral is safer because the nerves are more visible, & he would be less likely to disturb or damage them. He only does one side at a time because throat swelling is a major issue after surgery & doing both sides at once creates a situation where the throat could swell closed which would lead to other obvious problems. Even w/ just one side done, the second morning after my surgery, I woke up feeling like my whole throat was almost closed. I got up & quickly took the steroid pills I'd been given to help control swelling. Disaster was averted.

I know this is very long & only based on my experience & ES knowledge, but I hope it has given you some helpful info.

:)

Isaiah 40:31

I think it truly depends on who your surgeon is? I used a Base skull Surgeon also with ENT degree as well! I had the intra oral approach on the left side. I had a partial dissection. Because mine was even longer than it appeared on the 3d Catscan. But after a month pretty much everything went back to normal. I did suffer mastoiditus" due to the pressure being released off my sinuses. It drained down into my ears. And I was treated with antibiotics for several weeks. But it was well worth it! All my swallowing problems disappeared. As well as ear, throat and facial pain. Now I’m facing it all over again on my right side and will be looking at surgery again since 2006" If you find the right Doctor. I say do it! But if he’s not experienced ? Please wait!

Very good question. I had no surgery until now.
Had also asked me How affects removing lig. Stylo. And if i would feel it after a surgery.

Hi Dan,

I've had 4 eagles surgeries and I don't think anything is different. I seem to talk, laugh, sing, yell, swallow, etc the same. I had some numbness on my jaw after my surgery at the Cleveland Clinic, which took about 6 months to go away, but it wasn't anything that affected any kind of function.

You guys are the best for providing these insights and references.

One follow-up question is: what *is* the minor role the ligament plays in the function of the larynx?

Best,

~ dan ~

My personal experience regarding your statement is that my bone grew to the thyroid cartilage until it was diagnosed. (DX). This did cause me to get frequent laryngitis a few times a year because the bone grew so long.

Why did you have 4? Did they grow back and you needed them removed again?

heidemt said:

Hi Dan,

I've had 4 eagles surgeries and I don't think anything is different. I seem to talk, laugh, sing, yell, swallow, etc the same. I had some numbness on my jaw after my surgery at the Cleveland Clinic, which took about 6 months to go away, but it wasn't anything that affected any kind of function.

I have less stabbing pain but do get laryngitis a few times a year and severe ear pain. Glad I had the surgery.

I think this is great information and I don't mind long stories. We all wish to be comfortable and seek help. Thank you.
Isaiah 40:31 said:

Hi Dan,

Here's another perspective: I also have bilateral ES & have had the right styloid shortened. I had hoped to have it removed to my skull, but the nerve that affects the motor control of the right side of my tongue was tightly wrapped around my styloid. My surgeon opted to remove less of the styloid than he had hoped in order to preserve the motor function of my tongue. I am slowly recovering function of the right side of my tongue which was lost due to the need to stretch the nerve a bit to remove it from the section of styloid that was taken out. I have been assured that my full tongue function will return w/in 4 months of my surgery (which was 11/17/14).

Don't let my scenario keep you from having surgery. I have said this to numerous people & firmly believe it - we are each made a little differently. The most common post surgical nerve weakness symptom is a slightly drooping lip that can last up to 6 months (see Charmion's posts & her picture of her post-surgical self). My situation is more rare, & I don't anticipate it will be duplicated on my left side which I plan to have surgically removed in May. My surgeon said the stylohyoid ligament has some minor role in larynx function. It doesn't support the hyoid bone. It's kind of like our appendix in that it can be removed & you won't even notice it's missing. So far I agree w/ this assessment.

About a year ago, when I was at church, & we were singing during worship, I noticed my neck tightening up & my jaw starting to hurt. I have fairly advanced TMJ & attributed this annoying problem to that. In retrospect, now that I've had one styloid shortened, I have noticed the pain is gone on that side but still very pronounced on the left where the styloid is in place. I can't wait to be able to sing again w/o pain!!! So in answer to your singing & talking question, in my case, removing the styloids will help me vocally. Read Eaglewontbeatme's posts as he had huge concerns regarding post surgical vocal changes since his career is in singing.

The lower part of my face on the right side along & just above my jaw line was numb after surgery & feeling is slowly returning. This hasn't affected my face or facial expressions in any way. Your throat will be sore for a couple of weeks after surgery but the pain subsides. You should be able to breathe through a stuffy nose w/o throat pain, eat, speak (unless you have an issue w/ the tongue nerve) & swallow just fine after ES surgery. Your surgeon won't know which nerves will be affected until he/she gets into the area where the styloid is & can see what's what.

A final note: I had extraoral surgery i.e. through my neck. My surgeon would only do one side at a time w/ a 6 month gap between so complete healing could occur on the first side. He said extra oral is safer because the nerves are more visible, & he would be less likely to disturb or damage them. He only does one side at a time because throat swelling is a major issue after surgery & doing both sides at once creates a situation where the throat could swell closed which would lead to other obvious problems. Even w/ just one side done, the second morning after my surgery, I woke up feeling like my whole throat was almost closed. I got up & quickly took the steroid pills I'd been given to help control swelling. Disaster was averted.

I know this is very long & only based on my experience & ES knowledge, but I hope it has given you some helpful info.

:)

Isaiah 40:31

I also had surgery through my neck on both sides my doctor said there was a lot more chance of infection through the mouth because the mouth has so many germs! I had my surgery 1 week ago had a lot of swelling but keeping ice on it took care of it but I’m feeling a lot of pain in my earsand a sore throat! just hoping this is part of the healing!

my orthodontist took xrays and found the Eagle syndrome and notified my doctor!

I’m not feeling so great pain under my chin and migraine!

Aussie77 and Dnurs4U have you also been diagnosed with glossopharyngeal neuralgia? I am concerned that is I have the surgery I will have more pain. I was told I may have two issues. Since glossophryngeal causes tongue and ear pain I dont want that to get worse. But I also have some vascular involvement so I am going to have to do something. I just dont want to increaes my pain. AND I saw nurs4u that you have more pain since the surgery?

peacefulbuttons,

It does vary a lot from person to person; it could be that your styloids are perhaps pressing on the GP nerve and irritating it, so it might help you if they were removed. It might not be two separate issues, but the styloid causing it. Or on the other hand, it could get damaged in an operation, and be worse.... Having an op is such a big decision, as you say you have vascular involvement, that would be my bigger worry too. I hope that all goes well if you go ahead.

thanks jules peace to you from peaceful buttons!