2 days away to appointment!

Hi folks here to report that the appointment went exceptionally well. I had the pleasure of meeting not only Dr Hackman but also his fellowship Resident who was also phenomenal. Unfortunately the cd of my scan I brought kept crashing their system so they weren’t able to view it while I was there however they reassured me this happens often and not to worry that they would be sending it down to their radiology department to be opened so they could review post appointment. When it’s been stated that Dr Hackman is attentive and caring with his patients he is exactly that. I didn’t feel rushed not even for a second. He indicated that we would focus on the one side (my left) possibly for now as that is the side that is giving me the most grief however would be better to dictate if he thought the right should come out as well after reviewing my scan. @vdm no need to worry about the 15 minutes! My appointment time was at 8 I was to be here by 730 am which we arrived by 715. It’s a bit chaotic right now around there because they are doing construction. We choose just to do the valet parking it was just easier and I didn’t want to be late. Got called into a room a little after 8 and was seen by a nurse than the resident and shortly after both the resident and Dr Hackman were in the room with 2 folks who dictate for him. I was there until a little after 930 and the whole time was going over symptoms and him describing the surgery and what I can expect afterwards. He said he does use a drain for a day I will be expected to stay overnight and prescribes steroids post op to help reduce swelling. He is open minded about all the various symptoms that ES can possibly cause. He said the more surgeries he does the outcome of resolved issues from his patients continues to grow. He scheduled a follow up call with me for 2 weeks he will discuss his review of the scan and we will schedule surgery from there. He truly is a wonderful and extremely intelligent doctor. He’s heard of our group and said he’s very humbled by the reports of him. He was also happy to hear of such a wonderful support group we have amongst us ES folks. @vdm i told him we have another member coming soon! He said he is happy he is able to help us ES folks as he truly understands how deliberating this condition is for us. I told myself I wasn’t going to get emotional but I did. It’s just something else, after living in misery, with no answers, that you finally feel like you have someone who gets it and wants to help. For my surgery I was offered to stay at SECU it’s more affordable than a hotel and they provide free shuttles to and from the hospital. The dr will refer you. Start to finish everything went better than I could even imagine with the appointment. Will keep everyone posted on my upcoming appointment. Again THANK YOU for everyone’s genuine concern, encouragement and support. Couldn’t have done it without you all. :heart:

9 Likes

I’m so glad for your amazing experience @Ddmarie. Dr. Hackman continues to receive consistently great reviews. I was especially glad to read abt his compassionate understanding about ES & the multitude of symptoms it can cause. This, coming from someone who hasn’t experienced ES, is absolutely phenomenal :bangbang::bangbang:

2 Likes

Yes! And it makes me happy that the resident is also becoming extremely versed with patients with ES ! We need more doctors to understand and want to help. He said that he is involved in the surgeries that Dr Hackman does. It gives me some small sense of hope that some day this won’t be so rare and that there will be a better awareness and understanding with ES.

5 Likes

@Ddmarie, THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for this detailed summary

5 Likes

You are SO welcome and this area is absolutely beautiful! Not to mention how friendly everyone is!

4 Likes

I am sure your appointment with Dr. Hackman will go well. He is my ENT. In August of 2021, he performed my bilateral styloidectomy for eagle’s syndrome. All was successful. The recovery was somewhat difficult; but i made a complete recovery.

Much success to you and your appointment with Dr. Hackman. All the stories that I read about his reputation, I can attest to based on my experience with him and his staff.

5 Likes

So pleased that your appointment went well & that you’re in good hands with Dr Hackman! He does sound very caring & it’s good that he’s open to some of the lesser known ES symptoms & learning from his patients. I hope that you don’t wait too long for surgery! Thank you for all the info :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Thx for your update @Dcau! So glad you’re doing really well!! :blush:

1 Like

Oh and we stayed at the Tru in chapel hill it was super quick and easy to get to UNC the hotel was really nice super clean and extremely new. Everyone there was very kind and accommodating just an FYI as I know we talked about that in a PM. There are other places closer but with UNC just coming back to school this week it was the most reasonable place we could find. I would stay there again though. There was a grocery store and multiple restaurants within walking distance like a block or 2.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for the update. All this information helps when making a final decision.

3 Likes

You are very welcome. I am happy that I have this information to share. Wishing you the best.

1 Like

Thank you so much! This is such wonderful news to hear! I am so happy to hear that you are doing well!!! I like how Dr Hackman is empathetic and understanding but is sure to tell you what the risks are associated with the surgery. He warned me about what I could possibly expect afterwards with possible temporary facial paralaysis, numbness, ear issues, first bite. He said all of his patients except for one recovered fully from these post op symptoms except one still has a slight first bite however nothing that is deliberating compared to what their symptoms were before. He also explained that this patient’s styloid was was over 7 cm long so the longer he has to be in there, operating, the more risk that is obviously associated with long lasting post op risks. I was just completely in awe of how detailed and open he was about everything. He said that it appears that the tonsillectomy I had back in 1986 didn’t ever heal right and it could be what has caused my inflammation over the years, which in turn caused the classification. Again he cannot be certain that is why, however it makes sense to me. I was also glad my husband was able to attend the appointment and to go in with me because it was just a lot of information to try to retain and try to take notes on. Overall for me the potential risks for the surgery far out weigh the pain and issues I’m having and living with daily.

4 Likes

Thank you Isaiah. Again I am forever grateful to you and this group you all don’t understand how much I value this forum. The support is out of this world and I am just grateful I have found it. :heart:

2 Likes

@Ddmarie You can access his detailed visit notes through the UNCHealth app or portal. His stenographers are very thorough in their note taking, and I found information in his notes that I had forgotten from my appointment. He will also post detailed surgical notes and pictures of the removed styloids. UNCHealth has an amazingly efficient system.

4 Likes