Follow up appointment with Dr Hackman

Good morning friends,
Thanks for taking a moment to read my follow up piece to my ES journey.
I had my follow up telephone appointment this morning with Dr Hackman. Punctual on time called exactly at 830 on the dot! I don’t know but I was impressed this doesn’t much happen with most doctors appointments. Even my primary if I do virtual would be waiting for up to an hour :woman_facepalming:t3: so again he impressed me.
He was able to view my ct scan that I had brought (thank goodness they were able to get it open and it didn’t get lost!!) he said that I have fairly elongated processes in both side. He said both are growing in an odd manner so he can see why my left side I can feel the ice pic type feeling and the right side is growing more inward. He suggested based on this that we should do bi lateral removal. So that is how we are proceeding he makes a cut in front of the ear as well as the neck so at the ear he can remove it to the base. He will do this on both sides. He gives steroids during the procedure and also after and sends you home with steroids. I was happy to hear that. He said that I expect to be in the OR 2 to 3 hours. I will have drains on both sides and will be kept overnight for observation. Since my surgery is on a Friday I plan to stay sunday and then probably fly back on Monday due to limitations for my husband being off work. I asked how long I should expect to be out of work he said 2 weeks but said recovery overall will be up to a year. Im scheduled for surgery the end of October. Could’ve been sooner but moving across country in September. Im truly praying that this helps to resolve some of the issues I’ve been experiencing for years now. Thanks again for every one’s support on here. I would be nowhere without all of you. Honestly.

7 Likes

For me after each surgery I went to school less than a week later and while it wasn’t fun, it was pretty doable for me. I also flew less than 48 hours on my last surgery and that was ok too. Compared to the symptoms I do have, the surgery didn’t really affect my ability to do things. However, I know everyone’s a bit different, but I do believe if you must go back to work, as long as you take it easy and rest when needed you don’t have too much to worry about. Wishing you all the best :heart:

5 Likes

Great news,I so happy you got approved for surgery. Hang in there✋️

2 Likes

Thank you I really all you sharing your experience with me and how things went. I’m extremely nervous and anxious. I just would love nothing more to have the surgery behind me. And am truly hoping that it can help with most if not all (God willing!) my symptoms. Again thank you for your response. Much appreciated.

5 Likes

Thanks my friend. I really do appreciate this
More than you know. Your positiveness on this forum for not only me but for others is truly appreciated!

4 Likes

Ty Dee We are all in this together .Trying to overcome and live with these symptoms of eagle.This forum lets us do that .I love the recovery stories ,complaints and pictures.

3 Likes

I completely agree and feel the same exact way! :heart:

1 Like

My styloid

Omg ! Those are long! I’m SO sorry! :sob::sob::sob:You have a date for surgery correct?? I thought I remember reading that!

Yes surgery on sept 14, 2 weeks Cant wait

3 Likes

That is right, I remember now!! My apologies! That’s fantastic I can’t wait for you!!!

1 Like

@Ddmarie - Your styloids look long, but more than that, very thick. I’m so glad you’re scheduled for surgery but am sorry you have to move before you get those nasty things taken care of. I hope your move goes smoothly. I’m putting your surgery date on my calendar so I can pray for you especially on that day. :hugs: :pray:

3 Likes

@Michael123, I’d forgotten that you have both a very long & a very thick styloid. Which one did you say Dr. Hernandez is going to remove first or is he doing both at once? Regardless, it will make such a difference when they’re gone! I’m glad your surgery is coming up so soon!!
I also added your surgery date to my calendar & will pray for you especially that day. :two_hearts: :pray:

1 Like

Yes isaiah , Ddmarie and I have surgeries coming up. Mines is first .Dr Hernendez is going too do my left side first .In Dee case Dr H gonna do both.Im praying for both of us to be relieved of eagle symptoms . Thanks

4 Likes

Great that Dr Hackman can help you! I think 2 weeks recovery is a bit optimistic, with bilateral especially, but we’re all different! Really interesting that Dr Hackman said the styloids are longer than shows in the CT images, we’ve noticed on here lots of members have said the same…
Will be praying for your surgery, you’ve been a great encouragement & support to others on here, so will be great for you to have your chance for surgery! God bless :hugs: :pray:

4 Likes

Thank you so much :heart:

1 Like

Thank you for the reminder, @Michael123. Your day is coming soon!!

1 Like