3D From CT

Thanks to the forum i have been able to fix my CT scan into 3D. Wich is nice because i wish i could read ordinary CT scans. And for those who want to see how i look :blush:

As you can see Ligamentum Stylohyoideum is calcified.

My physiotherapist pointed out that my neck is somewhat off, i belive it was C1 and C2.

As i have been studying the 3D model, i noticed that my C1 is somwhat not level or it is off. looks like it is dragging a bit to much to the left is this normal?

Can someone take a look, and tell me if im wrong about C1 and C2.

• Henrik

Nice work @Henrik - yep i agree ligament looks calcified to some degree and i see what you mean about C1 as well

3 Likes

Thanks for acknowledging the concern i have about C1. I have already pointed out that concern to my ENT surgeon but he was not sure that calcfied ligament was the cause off misalgiment, he reccomended me that it will be a problem to tackle when im done with surgery . Certaintly i agree with his opinion because it will be a physiologically problem to solve anyway.

1 Like

It looks like either the greater cornu of the hyoid bone is very long, & the stylo-hyoid ligament is calcified from the hyoid up, that could be causing symptoms too, might be worth asking your doctor about?

1 Like

@Jules

Thanks for pointing out hyoid length, wich i did not even think off. I can take some messurments and find out and upload it in this post :blush:

What is the approximately normal length off the hyoid greater cornua? Im a 27 year old male if that has anything to say. Is there anything i should be aware off using tools to messure in softwares like this?

Maybe it is a good thing to take messurments off the space between hyoid bone and the C2 Vertebrae ?

I will also note this, and point it out to my ENT surgeon.

Probably have to do a new CT scan off my spine anyways after surgery, because off atlas misaligment and lower back pain :man_shrugging:

Yess, ENT surgeon has messured calcfied ligament to be 4,5 cm left side and 3,5 cm on right. and by the looks off it and from the after report from ordinary CT scans some calcfication going on distal parts off styloid process.

And i want to point out again, super greatfull for this page! The help i get and how im able to learn new things about our body almost everyday, wow ! :blush:

2 Likes

I don’t know what measurement the ‘average’ is, I’m sure it’s probably like the ‘average’ styloid length & varies with different doctors/ research papers! I agree with you that looking at the images there isn’t that much space between them & the C2…

2 Likes

Thanks again, taking your time to discuss this matter!

I have had some playing around with the 3D recreation off my CT scans. As i have been studying the hyoid bone very closely, and have had an second opinion from my wife, it shows and i have noticed that the left greater cornua is actually getting pushed and dislocated apart from the whole hyiod bone itself, so there is quit alot off indiferences in length and placement so it is asymetrical from C3-C1.

As i have discussed this with my wife, we both agree on one outcome off the asymetrical problem. That the calcfied ligament on the left wich is 4,5 cm in length causes the greater cornua to be pushed or draged up in the direction against the styloid process, it differs about 1,0 cm from the right side. As it is that much diffrence i can imagine it will cause quit alot off inbalance in both muscular, structure and tissues.

I have been taking som messurments off both the greater cornua and the spaces between the C2 and C3. The length is not that much indifrent from each other, maybe it is only about a couple off mm. But the space between C2 and C3 however, there is alot off indifrences there.

I will post some pictures off the messurments, i have been cutting out some off the jaw so dont mind that.

@Henrik - your ligaments are a mess! I haven’t seen any images with so many significant pieces of calcification in them. Even your styloids look unique to me i.e. not like others I’ve seen. I hope your surgeon is able to remove all the calcified pieces from your neck.

I do agree that your C-1 vertebra appears to be tipped to the left & also looks like it’s pushed a bit to the right. Have you had a head or neck injury?

The images of your hyoid bone are also interesting. I hope your doctor can help with the hyoid, too, if removing the ligament calcification doesn’t help shift it into a more normal position.

2 Likes

Well we Norwegians are unusual people to begin with, some off us are even born with ski’s onto our feets :wink::rofl:

Yep! Let us cross our fingers and toes and pray for the surgeon that he will do a great job and have a great day at work that very day !

Thank you for agreeing and acknowleding the matter off both hyoid and C1 Vertebrae. You are helping me alot to learn and study my own body, because i think that will create an arsenal off knowledge for forthcoming problem solving after surgery and as im undergoing treatment, as for many i have learned that this condition will make you to take matter in your own hands sometimes.

Regarding your question about head&neck injury, not that i know off, but i did have some minor injury in my spine and legs when i was younger. The injury was overload injury and some minor damage to the spinal discs. The injury came from excessive “diving” and fallling as i was playing as a streak player in handball, got in touch with a chiropractic who healed those injuries, he put loads off needles in the muscles wich was painfull! But i have not had any trouble with that injury any since.

It could’ve done harm to my C1 Vertabrae in the later years, but who knows. However, i still belive that my profession has taken its toll on my body. As a Surface Treatment Operator, you don’t get to grow old in that kind off profession to say it least. The main injuries as a spraypainter/sandblaster is neck,spinal,shoulder, lung and solvent damages and injuries. The stress on the neck is huge in this profession !

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I totally forgot about the type of work you do. That kind of stress on your cervical spine day after day could definitely affect the position of the vertebrae, however, you do still have a decent lordotic curve in your neck. That is GREAT!!

You are helping a lot on here too with sharing what you know & have learned! :blush:

2 Likes

Hhaha no worries, there is alot off people on this forum and i reccon it is hard to remember every detail about one unknown person from Norway :rofl:

Yes my physotherapist pointed out that my lordotic curve was very nice, but she as i’ve mentioned raised concern about my Atlas and Vertebrae.

I will post a picture off how the ‘’ working positure’’ is when you are sandblasting. I could probably stay in this positure for hours day after day. When i first started working as a sandblaster, I loved it and spent alot off time at work working hours off overtime.

Working positure off a sandblaster, you can see how he holds the hose, how high the position off his arms is wich creates quite alot off stress in your elbow and shoulders, The PPE helmet is very heavy and causes quite stress on your neck, specially when bending over like that for hours

As i mentioned that alot off the injuries you can get from this profession is solvent damages. When i first started having severe brain fog and seizure like symptoms i imediate thought that i have been taking damage from exposure from solvents. That made me rush to the hospital, taking all kinds of tests and blood tests, thought i was going nuts for a time.

fortunatly i don’t think i have been damaged by it, but offcorse i have been exposed off stuff like this because i was not always good with taking care off protecting myself from it !

1 Like

Maybe rethink your career?! That looks very tough!

2 Likes

Definitly should change career, i do have high doubts that im able to work with something like this ever again, the possibilities off me changing to something unphysical is very high!

Nice that you mentioned about changing career, i have been in touch with wellfare admin and we are actually looking and planing what comes next after surgery.

I have some ideas, maybe go in to consulting,HR, or work as a consultant at a recruitment office ? And maybe i could study something, i have been thinking about studying marine biology but i don’t know. I will take it as it comes :blush:

2 Likes

If industries are similar to Sweden and Finland, the wood technology industry is really interesting. Many research scientists I have seen at conferences talking about materials science for paper production or other wood related things :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Funny thing, I also had the same thought that you might want to change your career, @Henrik. You have lots of support from us in that regard! You need to keep yourself safe & your body healthy so you can enjoy many years with your wife & enjoy your life!!

3 Likes

Funny you are mentioning this now, because the wood industry in Norway has exploded the past years, specially the flooring,window&door production and also wood fiber production. Wood fiber production is a new way off isolating in houses now instead off using glass fiber or rockwool.

And also where i live, a company within the wood industry put a hiring application out recently wich i did infact applied to, they are in need for office staff and staff in their lab :blush:

2 Likes

How kind words off you !

Thank you ! :blush:

Regarding your C1, mine is off as well. I have always assumed it was due to a car accident in my early 20’s. And assumed it was the cause of the ‘fork in my neck’ that I have dealt with for years, until having my styloid removed (hooray!).

My son has been having issues and an x-ray showed his neck twisted exactly like mine! I was floored. We have both been in high velocity accidents, so it could be that we had a predisposition to the twist or we were born this way… no way to tell I suppose. Hoping at his young age, he may be able to correct with strengthening exercises. I did see a neurosurgeon in my investigative stage and they were not concerned with the twist (???) and said ligaments were all fine. FYI …

3 Likes

Sorry to hear about your son, hope he is doing okey!

I think i have read some studies about people born with hypermobilites and also what you are refering to misalign parts off the spine. Some people does develope early on spinal discs issues.

I had som spinal discs issues when i was young, because off overload damage, but it is hereditary in my family to have issues with the spine and bone joints and also calcfication issues. So as you say it is hard to tell what causes what, but defintly you will be more fragile to misshaps and accidents for sure !

You are telling something very concerning about what you were told by a neurosurgeon, wow ! ligaments is one thing, but a twist or misalignment in Atlas on the other hand, how could he(she) possible not understand basic mechanical structure ? The whole spine is like a chain, if one link is off the whole chain breaks apart.

If the Atlas is misalign it could lead to rotary problems off the other vertebrae, and other nasty stuff over time, and the Atlas holds your whole brainstem and cranium wich is avreage 5 kg off massive weight and think about the muscles in your neck wich conects to your biggest muscles, I would like to hear his or her opinion for myself.

I actually stumbled across a video where one doctor explained massive impacts off Atlas misalignment, could post it here. He does also explain CSF issues by C1 Atlas misalignment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGPXZo82V44

As i said basic mechanical structure, and mathematics !

2 Likes

Thank you for the great link, @Henrik! Dr. Middleton has been mentioned on our forum before but that particular link hasn’t been posted. We have at least one member who saw him for treatment. Her atlas problem was extreme but he was partially able to help move it to a more normal position.