3D Slicer Photos

I did my best with these. I can see my ossified stylohyoid on the left and my elongated styloid on the right with what looks like some ossification along the ligament near the hyoid.

Any tips on getting a clearer image of the arteries and veins?

Has anyone had a similar scan with the ossified stylohyoid ligament? Did you have surgery? Was it successful?

1 Like

I can’t help w/ your question about improving the images but I can say WOW!! The calcification on the right is totally gnarly looking! Your left styloid is seriously long, too, but w/ much less calcification of the s-h ligament. I expect you already know all this.

We have members who’ve had only calcified ligaments (no styloid elongation) & once those were removed, their ES symptoms basically went away so it bodes well that getting yours removed should be really helpful in resolving your symptoms. Now that I’ve seen what you’ve got going on, I recommend you not waste time looking for doctors in your state but contact Dr. Hackman’s office &/or Dr. Costantino’s office to set up an appointment. They specialize in cases like yours unlike anyone I know of in your state.

2 Likes

Thank you. Dr. Hackman is closest to me. It seems like he’s had a lot of success, according to members here. I think I’ll call him on Monday and start there. I called Dr. Cognetti’s office but haven’t sent them anything yet. But I’d rather go to North Carolina over Philadelphia. I’m in a situation where we don’t have anyone to care for our kids or me besides my husband while I recover. He’s fantastic, and I know he can handle it, but flying somewhere far on top of dealing with recovery was stressing me out. North Carolina isn’t a bad drive.

I’m not sure if I should bother asking My Medical Ally for their opinion on him. They haven’t been super helpful so far, but it’s a nice idea.

It’s good to hear removal has helped others. I ran last night and was in so much pain afterward. I have a lot of symptoms that I hope are from Eagles, but I keep being told they aren’t—only one way to find out, I suppose.

try this programms Surgery May 16 with Dr. Lo and Dr. Costantino in NY - #85 by Filatov

1 Like

Thank you! I will review and ask any questions I can think of.

@ectocake - most doctors won’t give any sort of a promise that symptoms will go away after ES surgery or that symptoms are ES related at all, except possibly those most common to the syndrome. We’ve seen recovery from so many unusual symptoms among our members once styloids were removed that I have come to feel doctors are sometimes pretty ignorant. In their defense, however, they can’t make promises they’re uncertain can be kept & do want to avoid malpractice suits so they err on the side of caution.

2 Likes

That is understandable. I like my ENT. He also has only done 5-6 intraoral surgeries. At this point, I want an external surgery and even if the only thing that is fixed is the pain in my throat and ear I’d be happy. Anything else is a bonus.

1 Like

You have a very large bone, it’s unlikely to work through your mouth, they will cut your neck- external surgey.

2 Likes

I agree that external surgery is the way to go.

1 Like