Appointment with Dr.Hackman at UNC tomorrow!

Hey everyone!!
I have my surgery consult with Dr.Hackman tomorrow and was wondering if anyone has suggestions as what to discuss.Sometimes when I go to the Doctors I swear its like I forget EVERYTHING lol so I’m writing a lot down and bringing lots of things with me as well as my CD although I’m sure he has the studies as well.

Also here are some new 3d images I made, can’t tell if better or worse lol

BETTER! Those images are very telling. Your styloids are massively long! You’ll feel so much better once they’re gone! I’m sure Dr. Hackman will be able to help you. You also have a lack of lordotic neck curve (I think this was previously discussed) which you can work on after you’re healed from surgery. It may require some PT help.

The questions you can ask are the basics - what surgical approach would he recommend/which approach would you prefer; expected recovery time; does he Rx prednisone post op to help reduce swelling (sometimes he does & sometimes his patients leave the hospital w/ a “neck bra” i.e. a compressive sleeve around the neck to help reduce swelling). Doctors predict recovery time but each of us is different & our bodies don’t subscribe to doctors ideas of healing time, thus, don’t be discouraged if recovery takes a bit longer than anticipated. Keeping a positive mindset will go far toward helping you heal at a good pace.

Thank you so much!!
I have another odd question, have you or anyone else in the ES community had issues with their hands?
I’ve had trigger thumb for a month… it wont go away, and it hurts so bad. I’ve been using a thumb brace but it does this thing where it unclicks kind of? I’m not for sure but its super painful and just wondering if anyone else has an issue like this.

Trigger finger/thumb can be a localized issue of inflammation, where the tendon that is supposed to glide gets a bit stuck as it passes through a tunnel of sorts, or it can be a symbol of more systemic inflammation. For example, I have inflammatory arthritis that isn’t well controlled at the moment, so I have multiple fingers that are triggering or on the verge. Fun! Often wearing a splint/brace designed to block some of the motion along with ice and/or antiinflammatories can do the trick. Other times people need to see a hand doctor and get a cortisone shot. It seems unlikely that it would be related to Eagles, but there seems to be so much that can be tied into it that I won’t swear to it.

If it continues or worsens I would encourage you to see a hand doctor.

Sharon from ModSupport

3 Likes

I think Isaiah has covered all our usual suggested questions…from the images it looks as though there might be calcification on the ligament almost to the hyoid bone, so I’d suggest checking that Dr Hackman will remove calcified ligaments as well as shortening the styloid.
Hope the appt goes well, let us know how you get one!

2 Likes

Hey all!
So update. Dr. Hackman wants to do the surgery externally and not intraorally. He says that he can do both at once and still monitor me overnight as well at the hospital. He said he is going to remove the entire thing to the hyoid bone.
Super ready to get this surgery done and before the end of the year!!!
I’ve taken a medical leave of absence for school and am taking a break to breathe.

2 Likes

Having both surgeries at once is tough, but we have had several members who have had successful surgeries with Dr Hackman to remove both…just to forewarn you that recovery might be a bit tougher. I’m guessing that as you’re having to take leave from school it will be good for you to get both sides done!
It’s good that you’ll stay in overnight to be monitored too.
Lots of info about what to expect after surgery on here, just use the search function for that if you need the info!
Let us know when you get a date :grinning:

2 Likes

I had both with Dr. Hackman and I honestly didn’t have any problems. Pain was much less than expected.

2 Likes

Congrats! I took advantage of all the medical leave I could get (8-12 weeks). I was happy to just hang at home and isolate generally from COVID since I was an essential worker. I timed mine to be off during Thanksgiving and xmas as well as new years. Not sure how long till your surgery? So glad you got some answers.
As for thumb issues, I had some minor surgery on mine for osteoarthritis. I have had several hand surgeries. I tend to get in weird positions when I sleep and my hands and fingers go numb. There is some nice soft/wrist and thumb brace combos that might help you stabilize that thumb.

1 Like

My surgery (bilateral styloidectomy) is scheduled for November 3rd everyone!!
He will keep me overnight, hook me up to a blood transfusion thing, and monitor me and then I can go home the next day.
A bit worried because the ride home will be 3.5 hour car ride and I get car sick super easy, I’m worried about throwing up on the way home and so hoping I can ask for nausea medicine.

1 Like

That’s good you have a date! Good idea to get some anti nausea meds…

I was very very nauseated after the surgery and they immediately gave me anti nausea meds when I told them, so I’m sure he or one of the residents will send you home with anti nausea meds if you’re still feeling that way. I live two hours away and I used the bag they gave me for my clothes as a “just in case” bag, but honestly I just ended up keeping my eyes closed most of the drive home.

2 Likes

HOORAY for a surgery date, Asumhannah! I’ll put it on my calendar & pray for you. So glad Dr. Hackman will be thorough in removing all that needs to be taken out, as well. Good plan to take some time off for surgery & recovery. Taking things slowly after surgery & allowing time for recovery will allow it to progress more quickly. :hugs:

1 Like

Congrats on surgery date! Hopefully your nausea will be better after an overnight stay in hospital. I would suggest to have a backup plan of a hotel for one night in the event you don’t feel well enough for the drive. Definately let them know you need anti-nausea meds during pre-surgery evaluation. They will have you fill out paperwork you can indicate you need that. Personally, when I am sick from the anesthesia, anti-nausea meds don’t work so well for me. Hopefully your driver has a nice back seat or one in front that can recline and you can lay down and sleep it off for that long drive home.

2 Likes