Best place to see Dr Hughes in London?

Can anyone recommend the best place to see Dr Jonathan Hughes in London? I can see that he practises in lots of different places, does anyone know is there any place better than the other or any price difference? I’m on the NHS waiting list but my symptoms have got a lot worse recently so I’m prepared to pay private.

I’m sure that @PatientD will comment as she’s just had revision surgery with Mr Hughes; here’s a link to her discussion about her first surgery:
Surgery with Mr Hughes London this Friday - General - Living with Eagle
She saw Mr Hughes privately at the Cleveland Clinic, he practises at UCL on the NHS but with a long wait. I hope this is up to date.

3 Likes

So If your main priority is seeing him soon, then I’d say there is no real difference between his clinic locations beyond geographic convenience. You can see his clinic availability at most of his clinics on the Circle group website where you can book online slots yourself. He often has earlier availability at Kings Oak clinic but only by a small amount. Other option is Cleveland clinic outpatients at Portland Place in london, which he does Friday afternoons after operating that morning at Cleveland. It is very upmarket but don’t think outpatient costs differ greatly. Initial consult is more than follow up (but that’s the norm). His Secretary at Cleveland is lovely and very helpful and can help book slots there. I don’t find his other secretaries are as helpful. Hope he can help you. D

4 Likes

Thanks @PatientD , you’ve been a real mine of information :hugs:

2 Likes

Thanks Jules. It was a real struggle to find help I needed so glad if that struggle now benefits other members. D

3 Likes

Thanks for replying, I now have an appointment at Cleveland clinic 15th November. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

That’s great! Keep us posted…

1 Like

Will do, November still seems so far away but definitely quicker than NHS.

3 Likes

I’m seeing him next week and will report back :+1:. I’ve never even been referred on NHS but can imagine the despair of long waits; 1 year wait max fax to ENT, another year wait to pain clinic, another 6 mths for a nerve block (not happened yet). Add to that the waits for tests etc and we’re up to nearly 4 years already and still getting nowhere, hence private appt.

3 Likes

I’m so sorry that the last 4 years of your life has been a series of long waits to see doctors who haven’t been very helpful, @Mcwelly. I’m praying Mr. Hughes will give you answers you’ve been waiting a long time to hear. :pray: :hugs:

2 Likes

Hi, am posting info here as topic is where to see Mr Hughes. Hoping hospital details below will help other members find way to Mr Hughes nHS clinic faster than I have.

Today I attended nHS appointment at Royal National ENT & Eastman Dental Hospital in London. I was given an appointment I believe as result of QS NHS team referring me. I knew I was not going to see Mr Hughes in NHS today but had decided to attend in person to see if I could find a way to finally do so. Trying to write after GP referral had not worked.

As expected the NHS had sent me wrongly to the voice team there, rather than the head & neck team (with Mr hughes). The senior doctor I saw today apologised for mess in NHS, said he knew Mr hughes & his Secretary personally & would ensure I got to see Mr Hughes in his
NHS clinic in weeks not months. Maybe miracles can happen :crossed_fingers:

Hope am attaching hospital info below to try to help other UK members who need Mr Hughes NHS clinic help. D

2 Likes

Hi, I believe I am finally about to see Mr Hughes in his NHS practice. I try to attach in image below the clinic address in case helps others find his NHS practice. As you will see it is in cancer clinic at UCLH (as most of his patients have neck cancer I suspect). This follows my being wrongly sent to voice clinic at Royal National ENT in London in December. Initials are “JH” so think is Mr Hughes clinic but will confirm once visit clinic next week. D

2 Likes

Thanks @PatientD for the info, and so frustrating that you were sent to the wrong place today… :crossed_fingers:you get to see Mr Hughes on the NHS soon!

1 Like

The sad thing is another NHS voice patient badly needed and is waiting for that clinic slot. My voice has changed (I can no longer pass voice recognition at online banking), but that is well down on my health concerns list. D

2 Likes

Today my NHS clinic slot with Mr Hughes has been postponed by 3 weeks. Given is NHS delay comes as no surprise. Won’t be holding my breath as may be more delays to follow. D

I’m really sorry, @PatientD. I think it’s terrible they don’t let you know until last minute that your appt. is getting bumped out further. We have another member who had significant vocal change after styloidectomy & thyroidectomy. She has seen a laryngologist who’s been helpful w/ temporarily getting her voice back to its more natural range. That might be a something you can pursue down the road.

Crazy, our NHS! My sister has been waiting 5 weeks just for a knee x-ray, knowing full well it probably won’t show anything & she’ll need an MRI! She should’ve had a physio appt yesterday, which is daft as they don’t know what the issue is yet, but that was cancelled & postponed!
Hope your appt in 3 weeks goes ahead :hugs:

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear about your sister’s NHS experience, @Jules. Disappointing & frustrating!!

1 Like

NHS update Mr Hughes - summary - seen in wrong clinic (voice) on Dec 8. Promised referral to Mr Hughes clinic in weeks. Sent appointment first Jan 17 but postponed for 3 weeks the day before clinic. Sent new appointment for today. Attended UCL MacMillan Cancer Center on Huntley Street London. Sat in reception area for over an hour after my appointment time. Called to 1st floor reception and another long wait. Called in to see doctor. It was not Mr Hughes but his registrar. I give up on NHS and seeing Mr Hughes. Will book a private consult now but expect a 4 week delay. Very frustrating. Sharing to help others understand how hard it might be to get Mr Hughes help on NHS. D

2 Likes

Thanks @PatientD, helpful for other members, so frustrating for you & annoying that you have to keep paying! :hugs:

1 Like