Bilateral patients, when did you opt for 2nd surgery?

Hi guys, for those of you that have bilateral Eagle’s & have had surgery on both sides, when did you know it was time for that other side to be operated on? Was it the symptoms/pain that made you request it or did your surgeon push for it? I am only 8 weeks post op but it doesn’t take much to flare up the other side that hasn’t been removed. I am pretty sure my surgeon just wants me to follow my body and it will tell me when it’s time. That’s a good protocol although I let it get really bad before getting the first done. (Carotid vein had tip about to grow through, heart palpitations, unable to turn head left). I obviously know better now and wouldn’t let it progress but will be getting a new job after the first of the year therefore surgery will have to wait for financial reasons. Just looking for feedback. :slight_smile:

Thank you and I hope you all have a Merry Christmas!

Hi Heather,

I'm 5 weeks out from my first surgery. My doctor was adamant that he would not do the second surgery any earlier than 6 months after the first one & maybe longer if he didn't feel I was healing at the rate he expects to see. I, too, am having pain from the side that remains & wish I was closer to the next surgery. I'm glad my doctor is erring on the side of caution though as I still have days where I get significant swelling in my throat even though my external surgical site is looking pretty good. I do agree w/ your doctor though. If you do it too soon, you risk irritating the side that's already been done & creating new problems if it's not totally healed. Listen to your body. What's it telling you?

Merry Christmas to you, too!

Isaiah 40:31

I knew immediately. But I waited a couple of months before deciding; it was during my last follow up from the first surgery. But I waited a couple more months before having it done; it was six months. Glad I waited, glad it was done.

1 Like

Thanks guys! I definitely have to wait at least 6 months as well per my surgeon and my body, haha. Some days are good and others it’s flared. I do know for certain that I still have some healing. If I pick up things too heavy or raise my voice I pay for it on both sides.( I have a small cold right now and am surprised how swallowing makes the back of my neck ache on the side I had surgery.) Since surgery I am more aware of the other side more than ever. I go on the 30th for my 8 week follow up and have a thyroid biopsy the same day. Fingers crossed no cancer cells or I may have an unexpected different surgery on the table. Either way though I’m thankful because without the 3d scan I would have never known about the large nodule to begin with.

Most people have mentioned the 2nd surgery within 6 months to a year after their first. I really can’t imagine having had both at the same time. I begged my Dr but he refused and boy do I understand now. My heart goes out to those that had both done at the same time. Yikes!

My son had his second surgery done three months after the first surgery. Our surgeon said he wanted him to wait at least three months. His symptoms on the side that wasn’t done started getting worse and worse and by the time he had the surgery he was really really ready. So now he continues to heal on the most recent side. He has no regrets doing the second side at the three-month mark. In fact I don’t think he could’ve waited any longer – I could not imagine waiting any longer. I will say that healing on the second side is taking longer than the first. He has had some minor post-surgical complications including return of swelling & infection in the scar. But overall he’s doing very well. He still has some symptoms like numbness in his face and temporary pain in the throat ( but not every day). I just asked him & he agrees that for him there was no reason to wait any longer. But again…he did amazingly well after that first surgery &nrecovered within a few weeks. His motivation was the great pain he was experiencing on his other side. He is much happier now regardless of the complications. We would make the same decision again.

Hi Earmom

I just was reading some old threads and saw that your son had been sick for 5 years I did not realize it had gone on so long I am so sorry. My own son has been dealing with serious medical issues for 10 years and had 9 surgeries so far. He missed most of last year in school but is having a terrific! year this year! I am so happy for him. Anyway its a big reason I have had to back burner my own issues. Now though mine have been getting worse since Feb as you know and also now that my son is feeling pretty good and also older I cannot hide what is going on with me too well and he is getting concerned about me which is the last thing I want as he deserves to enjoy this new freedom he has because the last few years for him were not good. Anyway, I wanted to tell you I feel your pain. Nothing that has ever happened to me even with this Eagles is anything compared to watching my son be sick. Watching your child be sick and not being able to help is the worst thing that can ever happen. Hands down. I am so excited for you that he is well after so much time searching. It must just be overwhelming.

peacefulbuttons said:

Hi Earmom

I just was reading some old threads and saw that your son had been sick for 5 years I did not realize it had gone on so long I am so sorry. My own son has been dealing with serious medical issues for 10 years and had 9 surgeries so far. He missed most of last year in school but is having a terrific! year this year! I am so happy for him. Anyway its a big reason I have had to back burner my own issues. Now though mine have been getting worse since Feb as you know and also now that my son is feeling pretty good and also older I cannot hide what is going on with me too well and he is getting concerned about me which is the last thing I want as he deserves to enjoy this new freedom he has because the last few years for him were not good. Anyway, I wanted to tell you I feel your pain. Nothing that has ever happened to me even with this Eagles is anything compared to watching my son be sick. Watching your child be sick and not being able to help is the worst thing that can ever happen. Hands down. I am so excited for you that he is well after so much time searching. It must just be overwhelming.

BTW one of the reasons I picked up my efforts to find out what was going on with me again was because my neice aged 16 is starting to have symptoms the same like mine started. They are not too bad right now but they are making her afraid. My sister told me recently that she thinks she is afraid to go away to college now because of it. I think my sister does not completely understand this but I most certainly do. My sister is a wonderful mother but think the pain of accepting that her daughter is really having these episodes has not really sunk in yet and I understand why. If getting my styloids out helps me my next move will be to get my neice checked out as I have read this problem can run in families. So you all hear, especially you Earmom, may just have saved another child a great deal of heartache

1 Like

Not yet, only if I start having significant symptoms. Might not ever if I am lucky.