Cervical trauma as a causative factor in vascular or normal Eagles Syndrome?

Anyone had any experience of or had cervical trauma initiate symptoms of ES?

There have been discussions in the past about this- there are quite a few of us with injuries like whiplash or head injuries in the past, but not necessarily bringing on the symptoms immediately. I'm sure I've read of some though who've had ES symptoms very close to head or neck injuries. I had a whiplash injury 21 years ago, and have had ongoing neck problems since, with the ES symptoms for the last few years- don't know if there's a connection or not. I wonder if it's the body's healing going a bit OTT. That would perhaps fit in with the calcium link which Emma's exploring. There also seems to be quite a few members with cervical bone spurs.

Does that suggest that everyone with whiplash ends up with ES or kust a “chosen” few?

I had a whiplash injury in the past and slipped on a wet floor and really hit the back of my head…My theory is that these injuries, plus my Graves thyroid problem contributed to my issues…

Hope- it's just my own theory- not medical opinion or research. Everyone is different, but there are themes in common with a lot of us on here, like Emma's raised in her discussion about thyroid/ parathyroid and calcium levels. Unfortunately because ES is rare, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of research into causes. My identical twin sister hasn't had any problems with ES, so as our genes are the same, I look at the things which are different in our lives which might explain it.

A twin study would be remarkable, but the rarity of ES, let alone, vascular, make such a study difficult. I had an aprupt change in the lordosis (curvature) of my cervical region. Immediately after my hyperexstention injury there was a 60% blockage of my right internal artery and pressure on the left. Not only cervical pain, but bilateral jaw and all the other ES symptoms. After a few months the swelling went down from the SCI and the symptoms only presented with spinal myclonic seizures. The occlusion disappeared in 3 months. I do see a colorization with severe trauma in my experience. Now I just see bright spots if I turn my head to abruptly. Possible hypoxia? I’m only 46, so the future causes me difficulty as I’ve been told the ES is inoperable by UM’s ENT David Arnold. this is sorta a rant, as there are so many unknowns.

Jules said:

Hope- it’s just my own theory- not medical opinion or research. Everyone is different, but there are themes in common with a lot of us on here, like Emma’s raised in her discussion about thyroid/ parathyroid and calcium levels. Unfortunately because ES is rare, there doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of research into causes. My identical twin sister hasn’t had any problems with ES, so as our genes are the same, I look at the things which are different in our lives which might explain it.

ICA, I read your story when you joined the community- I really feel for you. To be told it's inoperable... keep searching for a doctor, as they get more experienced, and medicine advances hopefully you'll be able to get some help. You said you teach diving- can you still dive or is it too risky?

I can’t say that it caused the onset of symptoms, but I do wonder if there is a correlation. I had a jaw injury in my teens and a couple of car accidents that resulted in whiplash. I also had some aggressive chiropractic adjustments on my neck during a period after one of those accidents. That said, my only recurring symptom prior to surgery was difficulty with food getting stuck in my throat. That was resolved after having one side taken care of. The other is elongated but so far not causing anything I can’t live with.
Keep searching and I hope you are able to get some relief!

It’s a risk that I free dive. But, I dive with a 4mm farmerjohn shorty and a Velcro weight belt… If it acTs like my life preserver. ifi sense something I throw of the weight and my dive partner is a rescue swimmer or my experienced teenage daughters. They shoot fish on calm days while I swime along. I can’t move well as I used too. My only exercise is swimming. I just live in an area were you can have great conditions or a pool.

Jules said:

ICA, I read your story when you joined the community- I really feel for you. To be told it’s inoperable… keep searching for a doctor, as they get more experienced, and medicine advances hopefully you’ll be able to get some help. You said you teach diving- can you still dive or is it too risky?

Glad you can still swim then, good on you not giving up!