Confused!

I am having my right styloid process removed and have been told that it is 4.5 cm long. I understand this to mean that it is elongated.

I recently had a blood test which indicated that my ALP is elevated and that the elevated ALP is from bone growth.

I am confused about what my styloid process actually is. Is it a ligament that has turned to bone?

Please reply if you can help me understand.

The styloid process is a bone. Part ok that bone structure contains a few ligaments. Sometimes the styloid bone calcifies and gets longer. Sometimes a conecting ligament will also calcify

Thanks Ivy for helping me understand this. I was under the impress that the styloid process was a ligament and that mine had calcified and turned to bone. Boy, was I wrong!

Ivy said:

The styloid process is a bone. Part ok that bone structure contains a few ligaments. Sometimes the styloid bone calcifies and gets longer. Sometimes a conecting ligament will also calcify

Bone growth can also be Spurs and things like that. You should try to get your calcium and magnesium levels checked to make sure they are working in sync. Sometimes things get out of whack and you can get deposits in your arteries and soft tissues. I am noticing knots ony knees and it hurts to put my elbows on a flat surface. Do you have Access to a chiropractor who does kinesiology?? Not sure how to spell it. They can help get your body lined up using whole food supplements. I’m trying to find one now.

Yes that is what it is, a ligament that has calcified to bone. I have the same thing on both sides. Had one reduced three years ago, and will have the other side done in two weeks. Hope that helps.

I was confused too. I have elongated styloids but ligaments are calcified also. What causes this? Do they remove the ligaments also? Or just shorten the styloid? I want it ALL out! :( Can they do the ligaments intra or does that have to be external?

I did a Google search and have copied and pasted what a styloid process is. I think you and I are both confused.

The Styloid Process is a pointed piece of bone that extends down from the skull, just below the ear. It serves as an anchor point for ligaments and muscles associated with the tongue and larynx.

The stylohyoid ligament, stylomandibular ligament, styloglossus muscle, stylohyoid muscle and stylopharyngeus muscle are attached to the styloid process.

frannie said:

Yes that is what it is, a ligament that has calcified to bone. I have the same thing on both sides. Had one reduced three years ago, and will have the other side done in two weeks. Hope that helps.

No one seems to be able to explain what causes the elongated styloid process to me, either. My surgery to remove my right one is in 11 days and I am very eager to be rid of the pain!

Lisa said:

I was confused too. I have elongated styloids but ligaments are calcified also. What causes this? Do they remove the ligaments also? Or just shorten the styloid? I want it ALL out! :( Can they do the ligaments intra or does that have to be external?

I am waiting to hear back from the doctor that ordered the blood work that showed elevated ALP from bone growth. She will tell me what to do next. Thanks for your help and advice about checking calcium and magnesium levels.

Ivy said:

Bone growth can also be Spurs and things like that. You should try to get your calcium and magnesium levels checked to make sure they are working in sync. Sometimes things get out of whack and you can get deposits in your arteries and soft tissues. I am noticing knots ony knees and it hurts to put my elbows on a flat surface. Do you have Access to a chiropractor who does kinesiology?? Not sure how to spell it. They can help get your body lined up using whole food supplements. I'm trying to find one now.

This might be redundant from the above previous posts by others.

Consider this image: http://images.radiopaedia.org/images/410772/48ba4f0857d5554dd6b6bb978430aa_thumb.jpg

The styloid process is actually a bone that juts off the skull behind the ear. Attached to the styloid process are three small muscles and two ligaments. The one that's of note is the stylohyoid ligament which goes from the tip of the styloid process to the hyoid bone. So when we say 'elongated styloid process' - either the styloid bone itself is elongated or there is prominent calcification of the stylohyoid ligament along it's track from the styloid process to the hyoid bone.

Beary…so, if my doctor says he is removing my right styloid process, does that mean that the ligament could possibly be left behind? The image you sent is small, but it I can see what you explained.

Beary said:

Consider this image: http://images.radiopaedia.org/images/410772/48ba4f0857d5554dd6b6bb9...

The styloid process is actually a bone that juts off the skull behind the ear. Attached to the styloid process are three small muscles and two ligaments. The one that's of note is the stylohyoid ligament which goes from the tip of the styloid process to the hyoid bone. So when we say 'elongated styloid process' - either the styloid bone itself is elongated or there is prominent calcification of the stylohyoid ligament along it's track from the styloid process to the hyoid bone.

Here an other image.

I am also confused, do they remove the whole calcified ligament?
118-image.jpg (120 KB)

Teo, Thanks for sharing that image. I have my pre-op this Tuesday. I am going to ask for more clarification.

teo said:

Here an other image.
I am also confused, do they remove the whole calcified ligament?

Yup the best bet is to ask the surgeon. I don't know what they would do in differing cases. I suppose it would depend on a whole other factors that come into the surgical field. In my case, the ligament was not calcified so only the elongated styloid bone was resected. The small muscles that come off it have a high insertion point near the skull base so I think those were left in tact. I think even if those are cut it's fine as the other major muscles easily compensate for the functions.

Beary…how long was your elongated styloid process bone? What it removed intra-orally? How long was your recovery?

Beary said:

Yup the best bet is to ask the surgeon. I don't know what they would do in differing cases. I suppose it would depend on a whole other factors that come into the surgical field. In my case, the ligament was not calcified so only the elongated styloid bone was resected. The small muscles that come off it have a high insertion point near the skull base so I think those were left in tact. I think even if those are cut it's fine as the other major muscles easily compensate for the functions.

It sounds like a good idea to get clarification; whether it is just the styloid process too long, or whether the stylohyoid ligament is calcified too. Not much point taking the styloid shorter if any calcified ligaments are left! Also a good idea to ask how much your surgeon plans to take off the styloid as others have not had much taken off and have found that they've needed further surgery.

It is possible to have just an elongated styloid without calcified ligaments; I checked with my surgeon and I have no calcified ligaments.

Hope that your appt. goes well.

Jules..I will get clarification. He never said anything about ligaments but did say he was removing my right styloid process and it is over 4.5 cm in length. I assumed he meant that he was removing the entire right styloid process.

Jules said:

It sounds like a good idea to get clarification; whether it is just the styloid process too long, or whether the stylohyoid ligament is calcified too. Not much point taking the styloid shorter if any calcified ligaments are left! Also a good idea to ask how much your surgeon plans to take off the styloid as others have not had much taken off and have found that they've needed further surgery.

It is possible to have just an elongated styloid without calcified ligaments; I checked with my surgeon and I have no calcified ligaments.

Hope that your appt. goes well.

Lola, mine was around 4.9cm. I had vascular ES - it was compressing the internal carotid artery in certain positions. So we had it removed extra-orally. As for recovery - in around a week or two my neck was looking pretty good with good range of motion. Speech and all was fine almost right after surgery tho some words were a bit difficult to pronounce because there was slight damage to a nerve so my right lower lip wouldn't come down all the way. So that affected my smile for a few weeks but it got better and now is absolutely perfect. I had a good steady recovery with no major complications.

Let me know what the doctors say about the whole ligament vs bone! Would love to know more.

Lola said:

Beary…how long was your elongated styloid process bone? What it removed intra-orally? How long was your recovery?

Beary said:

Hi Lola,

Unless your doctor tells you he/she is removing the styloid process & styloidhyoid ligament then probably only the styloid process will be removed. My doctor removes both as a matter of course. He makes the styloid process as short as possible depending on how the facial nerves are laid out & then removes the ligament so there's no chance of regrowth along the line of the ligament. Ask your doctor to do both. The ligament is like your appendix in that it is something you can live without. It plays a very minor role in swallowing. I've had my right one removed & have noticed no difference. The left one goes the same day you have your surgery. We'll be able to compare healing notes.

:)

Lola said:

Beary…so, if my doctor says he is removing my right styloid process, does that mean that the ligament could possibly be left behind? The image you sent is small, but it I can see what you explained.

Beary said:

Consider this image: http://images.radiopaedia.org/images/410772/48ba4f0857d5554dd6b6bb9...

Thank you for the explanation Beary!

Lola said:

Beary said: