Curious as to a cause

Lively, anyone with your name and brand/sense of humor is okay-fine in my book! ; > ) re: the "dark humor," it's due to having half closed eyes, from spasms, pain or meds...or from repetitively looking at docs in that side-glanced manner to which we are so accustomed!

Cathy

I think david is on the right track. But also all those who mentioned other traumas like whiplash or neck issues. The bodys response to injury is a perfectly logical answer. A LOT of us also have neck problems and TMJ and when there is an excess amount of stress on soft tissue the bodys response is the same as with an injury. I feel like there is a possibility that just having your neck or bite out of whack from TMJ or injury could cause stress on the stylohyoid ligament which results in calcification.

My doctor first told me there was no way I had ES because I still have my tonsils. No trauma either as some of you have mentioned. Living in southern Indiana though...have always had allergy problems but nothing severe...just mainly congestion and a clogged Eustachian tube.

mt83 said:

One of the Docs I saw too said I had the same thing. He says " Sure you have Eagles but that's not your problem"
he wouldn't even let me get a word in and just kept talking over me saying this was my exact problem. wtf

he said the acid would come up in my throat and burn my esophagus while I slept. Sure I get heart burn from time to time but don't think this is the problem. I Think he was just too scared to operate since he had only done it one other time.

Glitter Paws said:

My current ENT...lol...which I'm getting rid of and finding a new one said the following: my allergies are the cause. ?!?!?!?! He thinks the nasal drainage thus causes increased gastric juices (which does happen) but he says this gastric juice "creeps up" in my esophagus and inflames the NERVES in my neck. Ummmm...what? The esophagus is an enclosed lumen. These nerves (I.e. Hypoglossal, etc) are not inside my esophagus or in direct contact with my gastric juices. So that was an interesting theory.