Eagle Syndrome without noticeable pain

Hi all

i have some questions.
I have pain but there are not really bad but strange.

I go crazy. Since a couple of weeks i have heavy dizziness/vertigo and swallowing is still terrible.
Pressure under my left ear and head is getting worse and numbness is there.

Sometimes pricking at cheek, palate, lips, it is strange but no real pain.
limited moving of the neck to the leftside is also there but without pain.
I have no pain while lying or sleeping! (All my body is relaxed except of the pressure under my left ear and tonsils area)
I have pressure feeling in my head but slight headache.
Of course I have foreing body sensation and some pain in the throat to the left ear but they come and go.

Can not go out and enjoy nothing because of dizziness.

What i think is:
Initially(before tonsillectomy) i had only difficulties in swallowing because of the very long ossified Ligam. Stylo. (both siedes up to 9 cm).
And i had since ever(according to the X-Ray form 2001) the osscified Ligamentum Stylohyiods.
I think after the tonsillectomy all the symptomes are break out now.
Because after a tonsillectomy the soft palate moves backward (or some things changed the place) in my throat.
Perhaps the ossified Ligam. Stylo are broken/changed place because of changed pressure in my throat.
What i have is tight scar form the tonsillectomy(six months ago) in soft palate and also pressure in hard palate and numbness feeling the nose.

I thing i have the vascular EG which irritate nerves and press the veins.
Would I feel the pain if it is a compression(or touching) on the veins?

Yesterday i had a appointment with the ENT which had done the tonsillectomy and i explained him the Eagle Syndrome diognosed..
He said: this is nothing seriously and an ossified Lig. Stylohyiod is not something rare, an my problems may be psychosomatic.
Also my GP Dr. tell me the same. The both advise against doing a EG surgery.
I will see the ENT who diagsoed EG at this Friday and will see what he thinks about my situation. Perhaps order a CT-Scan to be sure if it press veins.

The dizziness(unsteady gait)/vertigo(fluctuating) scares me. Can go something wrong or can happen something seriously(dangerous)?
Will i feel any pain if it press the veins?

I would be grateful for any advice, recommendation suggestion.

Thank you.

Hi Teo,

I get spells of dizziness and feeling wobbly, not all the time. I wonder if it could be nerves being irritated by the styloids. I get a lot of pressure in my head and can feel my pulse in my neck, plus pulsatile tinnitus, which the consultant I'm seeing thinks may be due to raised pressure inside my head, so I am having a Ct with contrast this week. It sounds like this would be a good idea for you to ask for- the dye can show up blood vessels etc better, so hopefully will show if the styloids are blocking blood vessels. Good luck.

The dizziness/vertigo typically has to do with your inner ear, so that is probably from your tinnitus and pressure a lot of us feel in our ears/head. The ear pain I think it definitely from the nerves. Just my thoughts on it.

I get a pressure --light headachey feeling in my head also. I have pain in my ear and jaw and sometimes teeth and eye. I rate my pain as a 2 on a scale from 1 to 10. So its not that bad....but very annoying and makes it hard for me to focus. I also get dizzy/off balance that can make it impossible for me to drive. I feel so "off" that I panic. I've had this for years, but had a diagnosis of M.S. in 2002 so I thought this was all part of that. But when my ear started hurting and wouldn't quit, an ENT found long styloids on both sides and feels my symptoms are from that. My neck is frequently sore to turn.

I've heard that many docs don't really believe in Eagles Syndrome, so you may have to do some doctor searching. Maybe see someone that you know treats and does surgery for ES.

Post note: It is not uncommon for me to drink coffee and then have postural lightheadedness....like my blood pressure is low. It can get a bit scary, Ive mentioned it to docs because they think its strange that I would feel "low blood pressure" when coffee typically "raises blood pressure". I'm wondering if I may get some pressure on the vessels and feeling the difficulties after caffeine (speeding things up). I also notice that if I sit and try to read a book, I can get this overwhelming sense of tiredness. If I put the book down and change the position of my head...then I'm fine. curious eh?

I still have M.S., but wonder if the Eagles may be the culprit for many symptoms I blamed on MS.

I still have M.S., but wonder if the Eagles may be the culprit for many symptoms I blamed on MS.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I really think this is possible.

Christian22

With inner ear you mean the vestibular system? I checked them and they should be okay.

As you mentioned it must be something with the nerves.

Ivy

You are right, I have to find a doc who is familiar with Eagle Syndrome. I hope i find a surgeon in my area but it seems to be difficult.(google says nothing).

I am surprised about the one ENT doc. which said about EG "it is something common" and many people live with the calcification and have no problems.I was more frustrated as he advised against doing a EG surgery.

It is interesting I feel dizziness while I am walking and not while driving.

I also experienced my dizziness is getting worse after a cup of coffee. My blood pressure it is high but i have dizziness also when blood pressure is normaly.

Did you had already a CT? Perhaps it can help to show it as Jules says above.

Ivy said:

I get a pressure --light headachey feeling in my head also. I have pain in my ear and jaw and sometimes teeth and eye. I rate my pain as a 2 on a scale from 1 to 10. So its not that bad....but very annoying and makes it hard for me to focus. I also get dizzy/off balance that can make it impossible for me to drive. I feel so "off" that I panic. I've had this for years, but had a diagnosis of M.S. in 2002 so I thought this was all part of that. But when my ear started hurting and wouldn't quit, an ENT found long styloids on both sides and feels my symptoms are from that. My neck is frequently sore to turn.

I've heard that many docs don't really believe in Eagles Syndrome, so you may have to do some doctor searching. Maybe see someone that you know treats and does surgery for ES.

Post note: It is not uncommon for me to drink coffee and then have postural lightheadedness....like my blood pressure is low. It can get a bit scary, Ive mentioned it to docs because they think its strange that I would feel "low blood pressure" when coffee typically "raises blood pressure". I'm wondering if I may get some pressure on the vessels and feeling the difficulties after caffeine (speeding things up). I also notice that if I sit and try to read a book, I can get this overwhelming sense of tiredness. If I put the book down and change the position of my head...then I'm fine. curious eh?

I've had a CT scan via an ENT doc. He was the one who diagnosed me with Eagles. I live in Michigan but am going to Illinois to see another ENT who is familiar with Eagles. I guess I really won't know what is MS and what is ES until I have the Eagles taken care of. My driving difficulties stem from a very odd "off balance" feeling that makes me feel like I'm floating a tiny bit or something.....very disturbing

I feel the same dizziness even like I'm foating but while walking.

thought the CT shows also the compression() caused by EG. Perhaps it is the 3D scan sofar I read from the other discussions.

I also just have to clarify this and will ask my ENT for a appropriate CT.