ES Surgery with Dr Samji on 18th Mar and My ES Story

Wow, your left side styloid is particularly long! Definitely good to get that out! Are you having just the left side removed?
Re your questions, there’s info in the Newbies Guide Section about which cranial nerves are commonly affected and the symptoms they cause, here’s a link:
ES Information: Common Symptoms And Possible Explanations For Them - Welcome / Newbies Guide to Eagle Syndrome - Living with Eagle
Dizziness can be caused by either compression of the Internal Jugular vein, which increases the pressure inside the head (Intracranial Hypertension), or if the carotid artery is compressed- sleeping propped up a bit can help if it’s the jugular vein compressed. If an artery is compressed usually people find that the dizziness comes on suddenly with a certain head movement, and they may even faint. Dizziness could also possibly be caused by an irritated vestibulocochlear nerve, so without a CT with contrast we can’t say for definite I’m afraid, given your symptoms I’d maybe guess at the jugular vein compression being more likely…
You asked about symptoms & diagnosis- I had chronic neck pain from a whiplash injury already, but then started getting jaw, tooth & ear pain (more than likely the trigeminal nerve being irritated), I think I had that a year before being diagnosed, so I was quite lucky! The vascular symptoms started later, I asked to be referred to a UK doctor I found out about on here, and after about a 3 month wait I had a CT with contrast which showed bilateral IJV compression. The wait for surgery was then about 6 months, and a year later I had the other side removed. The vascular symptoms improved straight away after surgery, the nerve pain improved slowly but hasn’t gone away completely, it’s easily manageable now though.
I had trouble opening my mouth & chewing after my first surgery for just over a week I think, it was difficult to turn my head so I couldn’t drive for a few weeks. With my second surgery I didn’t have that at all, but I did have a weird feeling in my ear, as if concrete had been poured into it! And my hearing went for about 2 weeks. I didn’t feel too tired or anything after the first few days, but alot of people do.
I’m glad that Dr Samji has agreed to do your surgery, I’ll be praying for it to go well! And thank you for the update and info about what his office needs!
Best wishes :hugs: :pray:

2 Likes