I'm still trying to figure out what is going on with my throat and I think I'm feeling more and more like it is either ES or something related each day. Just wanted to see if anybody who actually has been confirmed to have ES has ever had these symptoms. My local ENTs all think there's nothing wrong with me and I keep feeling worse and worse so I'm wanting to find a doctor who is very familiar with ES. The problem is so far I haven't found any that are in my insurance network so I want to make sure I am at least on the right track before paying a bunch of money out of pocket just for an initial visit.
Symptoms I have:
- Almost constant feeling like something is "pushing" into the right side of my throat or swollen right at the point where my jaw and neck meet slightly forward of and below of the jaw joint (possibly right behind where right side tonsil would be). This symptom is always there to some extend and drives me crazy but seems to be particularly worse after eating and in the morning/late evening. I feel like if I open my mouth a certain way and stretch away from the feeling it actually makes it almost go away completely, as if I am making room so whatever is pushing isn't pushing as much.
- Right side ear fullness. Also worse after eating. I can open my mouth very wide and pop the ear but then it feels full again very quickly.
- Almost daily sore throat, but again only on the right side in the area where I feel the pushing sensation.
- Feels like when I breath in through my nose that I can feel the air more on the right side of my throat, like the right side is more sensitive or burnt or something. Again in the exact same spot as the pushing/swollen sensation.
- Wake up every morning feeling hoarse. Throat always feels dry on the right side.
- Often times it feels like when I'm breathing almost like something is in the way in my throat, like if there was a loose piece of skin or something getting sucked in and causing a tickle/gag feeling, again on the right side same spot.
- About once I day I will have a deep cough. It feels like I am coughing in order to get something out of my throat so I can breathe better as if I am choking but nothing every really comes out.
- I've noticed that many times if I tilt my head straight up like I'm looking up and past the ceiling it feels like something on the right side starts to poke or gag me and I start coughing.
- If I place my thumb and index finger around my neck right at the level where I feel the swollen feeling it does seem like I can feel a bump or something more on the right side than the left and I can especially feel like something more is there when I swallow while I'm feeling my neck.
The one thing I don't seem to really have is any pain. That is the only thing that concerns me as I see that many people with ES seem to have pain as the primary problem that is driving them crazy. For me there isn't any pain but the constant feeling like I'm choking and something is stuck in my throat is driving me crazy. I've had headaches and pressure around the same area and under my right eye and also do seem to have lots of congestion, but I don't know if that is related or if I also have some sort of sinus issue going on too.
The other strange thing that I don't see discussed much is that even though the symptoms are there all the time and sometimes do get worse on their own they seem to also get worse many times after eating. Is it possible that just the chewing action somehow irritates things with ES? This eating connection is what has led multiple doctors down the allergy and acid path even though I haven't found much in those areas.
I've had allergy testing, multiple ENT opinions, been to a TMJ disorder dentist, tried acid medicines... pretty much the same things as I've see a lot of people on here go through including having my tonsils out to no avail. At this point I've got one ENT swearing that it is all allergy related, multiple allergists including a test just last week showing no food allergies and hardly any environmental allergies, GI doctors saying they don't think it's an acid problem, and pretty much all the other doctors saying since they can't find anything it must just all be in my head and I should either take drugs or see a therapist.
Anyways, just thought I'd check in and see if anybody else has had similar things going on but then ultimately found that it was due to ES. I feel like there is definitely something in my throat but so far the doctors I've seen aren't coming up with anything. I feel like they think ES is so rare that that means there's no way I could have it despite us having gone down every other possible path but I'm like "even if it is rare, some people get it so maybe I'm just the rare one".