External Vs intraoral

I’ve tried to find a Doctor in Louisiana that does External surgery but have had no luck ? Does anyone have suggestions? I have an Appointment with Dr. Stephen Hernandez but I understand he may only do intraoral… What is everyone’s thoughts on what surgery to get ? I don’t want to waste time as my symptoms are ramping up weekly and I’m having to wait a month just to see him . I want to get this out of me ASAP !

External is the better approach, as there’s better visibility and generally more of the styloid can be removed. But many members have had successful surgeries via the intraoral surgery- as long as the surgeon removes as much as possible, & smooths off the end that’s left, & removes any calcified ligaments, then the outcomes can still be good.
The only other alternative is to travel further to a surgeon who does do external surgery; it’s a tricky decision as along with the hassle of flying, we have seen several members recently who have been to experienced surgeons who have not been able to do the surgery because of risks, or not removed as much as hoped for because of risks…
If you consider travelling elsewhere, & want advice as to the most experienced doctors to see we can suggest some names. It probably feels like a very long wait, but it is worth taking the time to get the right surgeon.

1 Like

Try, Dr. Nuss at Our Lady of the Lake Head and Neck Center. He did mine, both externally in 2018 and 2019… He was at Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center, part of OLOL medical center. I have not checked recently…Nice person as well. If not him perhaps ask if anyone else does skull base and then check with that doctor. There was another skull base doctor in 2019. I am not sure if he takes Eagles patients. Do not go to any of the microvascular surgeons there. Their specialty is different.

I think that one of our members has recently been told he’s not taking appts now.

He is referring people to Dr. Hernandez who does intraoral surgery. Dr. Hernandez just did surgery for anichols, & she’s still recovering.

| Isaiah_40_31
June 6 |

• | - |

He is referring people to Dr. Hernandez who does intraoral surgery. Dr. Hernandez just did surgery for anichols, & she’s still recovering.