Fourth day after surgery

In pain today due to bein late with pain meds so I’m gonna make this short so I can lay down, been a long day. Up since about 6 am and hadn’t been able to go back to sleep. Then my girls had their Christmas program so that’s wore me out a bit. Definelty don’t go too long without some sort of pain pill, even if you can only tolerate the minimum due to side effects of the pill, you will regret it. I have moved up to softer foods, just chicken noodle soup, as I’ve been hungry and tired of the same old same old. Little hard to chew yew, have some numbing yet and soreness with the tongue but I’m not near as hungry.

Thank you for sharing!! You seem to being doing really good...I wish for you the best!!!

Hi there!

Good for you for getting up & out to your children's Christmas program! That must have been special for them.

Having just had surgery 3 weeks ago I encourage you to keep to the pain meds for the first 2 weeks. I tried to start cutting back on day 4 (i.e. space them out further). BIG MISTAKE!! At the end of the second week I was able to almost completely stop the pain meds. Also, if your doctor didn't prescribe it, I encourage you to sleep w/ your head elevated. Mine said >30 degrees for the first 10 days. I got a wedge pillow & added pillows on top of it. I tried sleeping flat on day 11. Body wasn't ready. Swelling in my throat increased. I'm down a few degrees now but may go back up to the wedge again as my neck & jaw are more sore w/o the incline. I'm still having to blend my food. If you don't have a blender, get a NutriBullet or Ninja if you can afford them. They do a GREAT job on raw veggies & things that a lesser blender might not chop up. I feel just like my old self. I know your jaw & tongue issues will resolve over time as will mine.

Praying for your quick recovery.

Isaiah 40:31

Hello!

Not hi-jacking this thread (also praying for a speedy recovery for you @Redirish98 :-) but I had a quick question... I think Redirish mentioned that she also had at least one tonsil removed during her ES surgery (different thread)... I had both of my tonsils removed back in like 2006, so in my case, the ES surgery will not include removal of either of my tonsils because they're already gone... Did you also have tonsils removed or did you just have the ES surgery? I'm asking so I can mentally prepare for whatever pain may come my way, using your explanation as a guideline if that makes sense... I know the recovery from the tonsils a NIGHTMARE (couldn't eat/drink/talk for like 2 weeks, it felt like knives were cutting at the back of my throat every time I tried, & I was not at 100% for like a month & a half) but i'm praying that the ES is at least a little less painful/debilitating (I'm a singer so its kinda a big deal :-). Hope you can help! Thanks so much

-eaglewontbeatme

=========================

Isaiah 40:31 said:

Hi there!

Good for you for getting up & out to your children's Christmas program! That must have been special for them.

Having just had surgery 3 weeks ago I encourage you to keep to the pain meds for the first 2 weeks. I tried to start cutting back on day 4 (i.e. space them out further). BIG MISTAKE!! At the end of the second week I was able to almost completely stop the pain meds. Also, if your doctor didn't prescribe it, I encourage you to sleep w/ your head elevated. Mine said >30 degrees for the first 10 days. I got a wedge pillow & added pillows on top of it. I tried sleeping flat on day 11. Body wasn't ready. Swelling in my throat increased. I'm down a few degrees now but may go back up to the wedge again as my neck & jaw are more sore w/o the incline. I'm still having to blend my food. If you don't have a blender, get a NutriBullet or Ninja if you can afford them. They do a GREAT job on raw veggies & things that a lesser blender might not chop up. I feel just like my old self. I know your jaw & tongue issues will resolve over time as will mine.

Praying for your quick recovery.

HI Eaglewontbeatme,

What I can tell you is that everyone is built differently, so we'll each have somewhat of a different recovery experience. I was told that during ES surgery facial nerves ususally get stretched to move them out of the way for the styloid removal. What I expected was a droopy lip from stretched facial nerves. What I got was a half paralyzed tongue as my tongue nerve was wrapped around the styloid & had to be scooted out of the way so the styloid could be removed. It's not numb but the motor part of the muscle isn't working which makes talking & eating a challenge (I sound a bit like I'm drunk). I've been assured tongue function will return but nerve healing takes 2-6 months. It isn't painful but is annoying. I also developed "first bite syndrome" at the end of my first week (not fun...Google it) which is somewhat common w/ this surgery & makes eating even less inviting than the tongue issue. I will have my second styloid removed in May (hopefully) & will likely have a whole different experience w/ that one as the likelihood of having the tongue nerve on both side wrapped around the styloid process is small.

Please don't stress over reading my surgical results. My throat never really got sore, & except for the inability to enunciate, I can sing fine (just sang hymns in church this morning). Anticipate checking out of your regular routine & being dopey from pain meds the first 2 weeks - give yourself that time to heal. After the 2 week mark, you'll feel a bit better each day. I still have local soreness in my neck, jaw & around my ear if I poke it, but left undisturbed, it all feels fine.

I hope this is helpful. I have no regrets for having had the surgery.

I don’t know about really good, but ok maybe. I took a pain pill and crashed for about 5 hours after their program, so definelty over did it today. For sure take it easy the first 2 weeks and don’t over do it. And yes, definetly stay on the pain meds. I take the minimum doseage due to not liking the side effects of the pain meds real well, but even at the minimum skipping a dose or being late, the pain isn’t real tolerable. I also use ice packs. I bought a large U shaped body pillow right before surgery to use. That with a couple more pillows piled on it is what I been using to sleep on, it’s been very comfortable and well worth it.

I don’t mind you adding in a question, we are all here to help each other :slight_smile: Yes, I had the tonsil and the styloid removed, just on the left side. He was also going to take out the right tonsil but it was fine and the dr didn’t want to put me thru more than was necessary as recovery from the one side was enough itself.

I had my tonsils out when I was 4. I'm MUCH older now so that's far behind me. My surgery was ES only - just as in Eaglewontbeatme's case. I'm sure you're in a world of hurt having had both done at once. Glad your doctor only worked on one side!!

Redirish98 said:

I don't know about really good, but ok maybe. I took a pain pill and crashed for about 5 hours after their program, so definelty over did it today. For sure take it easy the first 2 weeks and don't over do it. And yes, definetly stay on the pain meds. I take the minimum doseage due to not liking the side effects of the pain meds real well, but even at the minimum skipping a dose or being late, the pain isn't real tolerable. I also use ice packs. I bought a large U shaped body pillow right before surgery to use. That with a couple more pillows piled on it is what I been using to sleep on, it's been very comfortable and well worth it.

I don't mind you adding in a question, we are all here to help each other :) Yes, I had the tonsil and the styloid removed, just on the left side. He was also going to take out the right tonsil but it was fine and the dr didn't want to put me thru more than was necessary as recovery from the one side was enough itself.

Oh my goodness!!! See, the nerve thing would probably #1 on my list of concerns (above & beyond the scarring that will come if I go externally)... I'll be decided this Tuesday as I have one final meeting with a doctor who goes the "intraoral" route (I have two that can do the procedure [one extraorally, one intraorally] & both doctors are within the same practice)... Nonetheless, your screen name is all I needed to make me put the worrying aside & just trust that it will work out for both of us :-) I'm so sorry to hear about your symptoms, but I pray it all passes soon! Not sure how common the condition is with the nerve wrapping around the styloid, but if I happen to fall into that category on either side, at least I can say I know someone else on here who has been in the same position! Doesn't sound like fun AT ALL... I think the only benefit to the "first-bite" syndrome in my case would be that i've been on a weight loss kick since September (35lbs down, 30-40 to go :-) so that may actually work in my favor cuz that sounds very similar to what I went through with the tonsils (& I lost 20lbs in 2 weeks because I refused to eat or drink anything lol)! But we shall see. Get well soon!! I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. The countdown to surgery has begun in my case, & everyone on here has been making me feel so much better about all of this!

-eaglewontbeatme

===

HI Eaglewontbeatme,

What I can tell you is that everyone is built differently, so we'll each have somewhat of a different recovery experience. I was told that during ES surgery facial nerves ususally get stretched to move them out of the way for the styloid removal. What I expected was a droopy lip from stretched facial nerves. What I got was a half paralyzed tongue as my tongue nerve was wrapped around the styloid & had to be scooted out of the way so the styloid could be removed. It's not numb but the motor part of the muscle isn't working which makes talking & eating a challenge (I sound a bit like I'm drunk). I've been assured tongue function will return but nerve healing takes 2-6 months. It isn't painful but is annoying. I also developed "first bite syndrome" at the end of my first week (not fun...Google it) which is somewhat common w/ this surgery & makes eating even less inviting than the tongue issue. I will have my second styloid removed in May (hopefully) & will likely have a whole different experience w/ that one as the likelihood of having the tongue nerve on both side wrapped around the styloid process is small.

Please don't stress over reading my surgical results. My throat never really got sore, & except for the inability to enunciate, I can sing fine (just sang hymns in church this morning). Anticipate checking out of your regular routine & being dopey from pain meds the first 2 weeks - give yourself that time to heal. After the 2 week mark, you'll feel a bit better each day. I still have local soreness in my neck, jaw & around my ear if I poke it, but left undisturbed, it all feels fine.

Funny thing...I had also been working at losing weight. I'd lost 25 lbs & was basically at my goal when I had surgery. I've lost 5 more since surgery. Trying to maintain now as I don't want to look emaciated. Yes, you can anticipate losing some weight post surgery. I think my pain med (Percocet) must also be an appetite suppressant as I really wasn't very hungry during the time I was taking it. I'm still battling a bit w/ lack of appetite but part of that I think is just the difficulty of eating. I have NEVER been in a position in my life where I had to worry about getting too thin so this is very interesting!! I will pray for the best possible most complication free outcome for your surgery. God is faithful & won't give you more than you can handle. I didn't worry about a scar (I'm getting older & my skin is getting a bit wrinkly anyway ;) My doctor cut along one of my neck creases & said the scar would be pretty invisible once it's healed.

<>/p>

eaglewontbeatme said:

Oh my goodness!!! See, the nerve thing would probably #1 on my list of concerns (above & beyond the scarring that will come if I go externally)... I'll be decided this Tuesday as I have one final meeting with a doctor who goes the "intraoral" route (I have two that can do the procedure [one extraorally, one intraorally] & both doctors are within the same practice)... Nonetheless, your screen name is all I needed to make me put the worrying aside & just trust that it will work out for both of us :-) I'm so sorry to hear about your symptoms, but I pray it all passes soon! Not sure how common the condition is with the nerve wrapping around the styloid, but if I happen to fall into that category on either side, at least I can say I know someone else on here who has been in the same position! Doesn't sound like fun AT ALL... I think the only benefit to the "first-bite" syndrome in my case would be that i've been on a weight loss kick since September (35lbs down, 30-40 to go :-) so that may actually work in my favor cuz that sounds very similar to what I went through with the tonsils (& I lost 20lbs in 2 weeks because I refused to eat or drink anything lol)! But we shall see. Get well soon!! I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. The countdown to surgery has begun in my case, & everyone on here has been making me feel so much better about all of this!

-eaglewontbeatme

===

HI Eaglewontbeatme,

Thank you so much! & YES HE IS!!!! I had another question for you:

Among the other concerns I mentioned, an additional concern of mine has been the timing of the surgeries... Initially, I was under the impression that both sides would be done at the same time, but one of the two doctors advised that he would be having me wait upwards of 3 months to get the other side done. Just having to wait that long was unsettling as i'm a singer (with 2 auditions this coming February) and I also was under the impression that my insurance would cut off in February... More than anything tho, I just want both surgeries done asap so I can complete the recovery process & put all of this behind me once & for all... In your case, do you have any idea why your doctor doesn't have you scheduled for surgery #2 until May??? I know you said you had your first one done like 3 weeks ago, but per information I was given, may seems a little long! Guess i'm hoping my doc wasn't just saying 3 months to get me in the chair only to surprise me afterwards & tell me that I have to wait until May or longer LOL (my b-day is in May & Lord knows I want all of this well behind me by then if possible). Hope you can help & thanks so much once again!

-eaglewontbeatme

Funny thing...I had also been working at losing weight. I'd lost 25 lbs & was basically at my goal when I had surgery. I've lost 5 more since surgery. Trying to maintain now as I don't want to look emaciated. Yes, you can anticipate losing some weight post surgery. I think my pain med (Percocet) must also be an appetite suppressant as I really wasn't very hungry during the time I was taking it. I'm still battling a bit w/ lack of appetite but part of that I think is just the difficulty of eating. I have NEVER been in a position in my life where I had to worry about getting too thin so this is very interesting!! I will pray for the best possible most complication free outcome for your surgery. God is faithful & won't give you more than you can handle. I didn't worry about a scar (I'm getting older & my skin is getting a bit wrinkly anyway ;) My doctor cut along one of my neck creases & said the scar would be pretty invisible once it's healed.

<>/p>

eaglewontbeatme said:

-eaglewontbeatme

===

HI Eaglewontbeatme,

Hi Redirish,

I’m sorry you had a bit of a rough day =( I’m glad you are OK though. My surgery is tomorrow and I am starting to get very nervous. I’m just hoping my vascular symptoms go away fairly quick.

This U shaped pillow you bought, did you get it online? I am having such a hard time sleeping already I have a feeling it will be worse after surgery. The U shaped pillow sounds like it may be good.

I hope you start feeling better soon and I will keep you in my thoughts!

Krista

Hey girl, I meant to message you yesterday and let you know I was thinking about you. The last 2 days before my surgery I know I was a nervous wreck. I was so afraid I’d wake up in so much pain. It wasn’t so bad until later as they fed me liquid pain killers as soon as I woke and probably had something in the IV also. Just remember to keep up on your meds, drink plenty of fluids, Even tho it might be difficult, I still have a hard time just swallowing water even now, and rest, rest, rest! The body pillow I ordered off of Amazon tho I think they have them a little cheaper on eBay, Including the shipping I paid about $50. It’s a junior size full body pregnancy pillow. There are different kinds but this one is basically a super long body pillow you just kinda bend in a U shape or however you want. I know everyone has their own preference on soft and firm levels and such, but I really like it, it’s like being in my own little nest of comfort. I have my regular pillows on top of it that I actually lay on. So anyway, I’m thinking about ya! Don’t stress too much cause I know I did and I really didn’t need to. Let us all know how it goes, keep us posted when you can, take care! :).

krista3 said:

Hi Redirish,

I’m sorry you had a bit of a rough day =( I’m glad you are OK though. My surgery is tomorrow and I am starting to get very nervous. I’m just hoping my vascular symptoms go away fairly quick.

This U shaped pillow you bought, did you get it online? I am having such a hard time sleeping already I have a feeling it will be worse after surgery. The U shaped pillow sounds like it may be good.

I hope you start feeling better soon and I will keep you in my thoughts!

Krista

Aww! Thank you so much! I’m trying not to stress. Trying to think of the positive outcome. Thank you for the info on body pillow. I sleep with a regular body pillow now but my regular pillows aren’t giving me the support I need. I think the U pillow would be beneficial. I should have thought about that earlier on.

Any other weird symptoms to expect? Or any helpful tips? I will definitely stay on top of the pain meds! I drank fluids and took my pain meds like clock work with my tonsillectomy a few years back. I think that helped tremendously with recovery.

I know you are in pain and not feeling great but given the circumstances you seem to be doing okay. I’m happy to hear! =)

Everyone’s of coarse gonna be a little different and I also had the sinus surgery so some of that might have caused some of my post surgery symtoms. But the first afternoon/evening on the day after I had a migraine, I still have a little pressure in my temple area which Im hoping goes away once the swelling and all that’s healed. When I get to hurting I have pain in my ear like an ear ache, and the back of my throat, course just on the left, is sore but has a burnin type feeling more so when I swallow. Usually after I’ve been sleeping for a bit I’ll wake up with a mouth full of spit, or it feels like it. The first day when my sinuses were still feeling blocked was awful, I was breathing thru my mouth and it would get so dry and my tongue felt huge, it was kinda weird. Trying out soft foods is kinda irritating my tongue, tho it’s finally feeling not so swollen, it’s still a little numb feeling and sore and it tires my tongue and jaw to do what little chewing it takes to get it down. I ordered my pillow about a week before surgery and got it the day before, but Amazon has an option if you pay more shipping you can get it faster. I’m not sure what made me think to get it but I’m glad I did :slight_smile:

krista3 said:

Aww! Thank you so much! I’m trying not to stress. Trying to think of the positive outcome. Thank you for the info on body pillow. I sleep with a regular body pillow now but my regular pillows aren’t giving me the support I need. I think the U pillow would be beneficial. I should have thought about that earlier on.

Any other weird symptoms to expect? Or any helpful tips? I will definitely stay on top of the pain meds! I drank fluids and took my pain meds like clock work with my tonsillectomy a few years back. I think that helped tremendously with recovery.

I know you are in pain and not feeling great but given the circumstances you seem to be doing okay. I’m happy to hear! =)

A short note about seemingly doin so well… I been a single mom since my girls were born, they will be 15 next May, and I don’t have a lot of close friends or family, so I’ve kinda learned to do whatever I gotta do to get by. I have my bf, 4 1/2 years now, he helps great financially, but while he was here the last 5 days, he really sucked at bein real helpful or compassionate in any way. So you guys on here have really helped me in that aspect. And I’m super grateful I found this site :slight_smile:

Dear Redirish,

Take heart. Our husbands/significant others mean well but sometimes they just don't intuitively know what it is we need most in a given situation. After many years of marriage, I'm finally learning to be more specific about my wants & needs. Stick w/ him, communicate clearly what you need, & if he's there to help, I'm sure he'll try to do his best. Though my husband took the day off work on my surgery day, it was my sister who really took care of me that day & the 2 following days. I am very blessed to have a close knit family. I will pray for you to be back on your feet ASAP. Please give yourself permission to take it as easy as possible for your first 2 post-surgical weeks. You'll heal faster & feel better sooner if you do.

Thank you Isaiah 40:31 :wink:

Dear Redirish,

Take heart. Our husbands/significant others mean well but sometimes they just don’t intuitively know what it is we need most in a given situation. After many years of marriage, I’m finally learning to be more specific about my wants & needs. Stick w/ him, communicate clearly what you need, & if he’s there to help, I’m sure he’ll try to do his best. Though my husband took the day off work on my surgery day, it was my sister who really took care of me that day & the 2 following days. I am very blessed to have a close knit family. I will pray for you to be back on your feet ASAP. Please give yourself permission to take it as easy as possible for your first 2 post-surgical weeks. You’ll heal faster & feel better sooner if you do.

Thinking of you today....just a note to say hello!!