Get an angiogram if you think your jugular veins are 'compressed'

Here’s mine - read as normal. Some days I believe it, and others I don’t :man_shrugging:

@coldbear I can definitely see partial empty sella on the Saggital image and CSF along the optic nerve sheath on the T1 Axial image since it is T1 the CSF would be black and I can see that along the optic nerve sheath.

BTW, mine was only noted in my 4th MRI report when I brought IIH symptoms to their attention and asked them to look for signs. If they are not having a high degree of suspicion they won’t even bother.

I think your guess is right. Have it a second look by another radiologist.

These are the same as the ones in above link but bit more clear images of the IIH signs on my MRI. Secondly, it is important to note I leak CSF through my nose from time to time and I see the clear fluid and sometimes it has metallic like taste. This might have reduced the Intercranial Pressure (ICP) enough not to cause papilledema although I have visual symptoms so do not give up if they do not find papilledema in your eye testing. I think @DogLover posted CSF leak & IIH study by a prominent vascular surgeon Dr. Higgins.

CSF Fluid in the Optic Nerve Sheath (ONS) in this T2 weighted MRI slide (see the thickness of the ONS at the top of the ON)

image (7)

Tortuous Optic Nerve (Red Arraows) and Flattening of the right globe (Blue Arrow) this is T1 contrast enhanced MRI

Partial Empty Sella

image (9)

1 Like

I don’t see the images, but could be a problem on my end :man_shrugging:

Definitely not on your end. I did not properly pasted them. See if you can see it now. I reposted.

I see them now - good looking scans! It does appear like you are solidly in the no-mans-land of moderately elevated pressure typical of IJVS and described by Higgins & Axon. Lots of minor changes to be seen, but not that one finding that really jumps out. Same for me. Pituitary looks compressed, but sella not totally engorged with CSF. ONS swollen and a bit bent, but not protruding into or flattening the globes. No papilledema. Hopefully one of us will get a repeat scan after decompression and see what if anything changes.

3 Likes

@coldbear Could not have said better than you did here. Wishing you all the luck! Too bad we have to play Pseudo-Radiologists. I guess desperate situations calls for desperate measures.

4 Likes

@coldbear Since you said we are similar in terms of head rotation, mine was found in the CT Angio but I really do not feel many symptoms when I rotate my head. I feel mild neck pain or subtle increase in the tinnitus. Since you are good with reading images. I linked the post below where I posted the three images from CT Angio that shows the collateral flow when I turn my head left and when neutral but no collateral is evident when I turn my head to the right which was interpreted as Styloid compression easing on the left jugular vien. You might be interested in them.

2 Likes

@coldbear & @KoolDude, Thank you for the interesting discussion. I’m very sorry for both of you having to wait so long for surgery. I hope for both of you that the surgeons you see do surgeries that are healing & revitalizing so you’re able to ease your way back into “the game of life” & play it fully.

:100: :dizzy: :bangbang:

2 Likes

Thanks @Isaiah_40_31

1 Like

I just had an angiogram venogram and balloon occlusion. The pressure in every position I put my head was 18. When I touched my chin to my chest it immediately shot up to 34. My styloid process are the largest Dr. P has ever seen no and in every way. I’m new here an in fact this is my first post. How do you attach a photo and I will post image of my styloid process being just about the same size as my jawbone

Hi @Bc2,

You attach a photo by clicking on the underlined upward point arrow in the bar at the top of the text box. That will allow you to post images from your computer to our site. If you have trouble please let me know, & I’ll try to help you further.

Thank you I will give it a try.

I’m getting an error message cannot embed media

Try dragging & dropping the images into the text box from your computer desk top. If that doesn’t work, you can respond to the welcome private message I sent you & upload pics there. I’ll move them to the public forum. Our site is set up so that new members don’t have full privileges of older members until the new members have posted several times. I think adding images is one of the privileges that is included in that. We recently had another new member who had the same problem.

@nolan If you can answer, I had some questions for you:

1. How long were your styloids?
  2. Have you considered a diagnosis of Hyoid Bone syndrome since that seems to be the only other thing that could explain your swallowing issues?
2 Likes