Go time! Soft foods?

Best of luck to you. I am seeing a Dr. on the 16th to explode a diagnosis. Please keep us updated on your progress. :pray:t2::heart:

1 Like

Hi Sandal3!

Before your appointment, please inform yourself as to the questions you should ask & things you should discuss w/ the doctor. We also encourage you to print any research articles (links in the Newbies Guide) that have ES information where your symptoms are mentioned. You can use the magnifying glass search icon & type in “questions to ask” & search through the offerings in the Newbies Guide for research article links. Having that information will help you to have a more productive appointment. If you are seeing a doctor who is familiar w/ ES, less prep is likely required.

Bbear in mind that even among the most experienced ES doctors on our list, there is a difference of opinion as to symptoms of ES & length of styloid for ES diagnosis. Don’t be discouraged if the doctor you see isn’t fully supportive. The name of the game is Persistence & Perseverence in finding the right & most experienced ES doctor to help you. Sometimes this requires “leaving no stone unturned.”

1 Like

Congrats Doc! I gotta say I luv these pix and so soon. What a curly one. Your incision looks incredible. Take some more please the next couple days so we can have idea of swelling if up to it…my surgery in about 3 weeks. This is the incision I am supposed to have from Dr. Samji. Others have mentioned, if segmented ligament, the incision may have to be a few inches larger. Someone else just posted their pix with a different type of incision on a different thread. Its called a “modified Blair incision”. Behind the ear and across the neck horizontally. I only learned of it at my 2nd opinion consult when they doc told me he preferred that incision. Does anyone know what they call Doc Holiday’s incision type? I know we talk about external and intra-oral but did not realize two different types of external incisions. Maybe more than 2? It would be nice to have the pix side by side so everyone can understand the different ones.

1 Like

I think many surgeons do incisions differently; mine was tucked behind my ear & only a little bit below the jaw line, others have had incisions across the neck… They’re usually done in the neck creases so don’t often show once healed. Are you worried about scarring or just wanting to know what to expect?

1 Like

Im not worried about scarring as it appears my surgeon does the incision in crease of neck and potentially smaller incision length. Since my 2nd opinion argued for his approach, I did a little research on the types of incisions. From educational perspective, wanted to know more the types of incisions and any pros /cons as it appears there is not much discussion about it. It seems the type and location of incision is physician preference, how they were taught possibly and I assume # of surgeries and experience. The modified blair ie: behind the ear pulls back a flap to access the styloid,etc. This incision is also used for facelifts. I thought that was interesting.Geez doc, can you throw in a facelift while you are at it? :rofl:

1 Like

That would be good value! I’m sure you don’t need it!

I had to cancel my appointment because of the crisis. I finally had hope after 7 yrs of suffering. It’s so disappointing. I hope you and your family come through this crisis in good health. :pray:t2:

How disappointing Sandal3. Looks like many of us are likely in for cancellations in the coming weeks as hospitals ramp up for COVID-19 treatment.

Yeah, Dr. Cognetti made it sound like the decision to go internal vs external was mine, but in not sure how he would have reacted if I did the silly thing and asked to go in through the throat. Having no scar was the upside to the internal route, but as I informed Dr. C (exact quote): “Chicks dig scars”. Regardless, he pointed to where it would be and said they like to keep it in a natural crease in the neck in order to hide it. The dressing just came off today and I haven’t shaved in a week, so I’ll report back on how that looks when I get the courage to even try shaving.
In the meantime, as someone who is happily married and far past three days where my life would be changed in any way by over less flaw in my skin, I can happily maintain my original point:

Chicks dig scars.

1 Like

:rofl: :joy: Oh so funny. I like your attitude. Maybe that could apply to men too ie: woman with scars.? Makes for interesting table talk.
My surgery scheduled in 3 weeks and I am very concerned it may be cancelled. I’m going from one hot zone to another re: Seattle to San Jose. My surgery is at a stand alone outpatient surgery center and less apt to be taken over for other purposes as what might happen at a hospital. I am keeping my fingers crossed as I went thru so much effort to set up off time off at work, flights and hotels. I’m also keeping my severe pain at bay with steroids and nerve block. I want this sucker out! Im hearing rumblings from friends in medicine that my insurance company may decide not to allow it.

This has been super helpful! You all have so much information. My surgery is scheduled for Wednesday and I am praying the virus doesn’t stand in the way. Every day I am waking up thankful to be one day closer with no major developments in my area.:pray:t2: Dr Hepworth in Denver is doing my surgery and will do external right side. Doc and anyone else who had the external-how long did you stay at the hospital?

I was shocked, but I didn’t! They discharged me about an hour after I woke up in recovery. To be fair mine was straightforward, no major compression of blood vessels or any other complications. I sent a message to the office a few weeks before asking about the hospital stay and time off work. They responded saying it was an outpatient procedure and that I should only expect about a week out of work. Both of those things were surprising given what I’ve read here, but I’ve only been using Tylenol and ibuprofen and the pain has actually been mild. I’m still digging out of the day 3-6 pit so the headache and exhaustion suck, but if I HAD to go to work tomorrow (Desk job), I could pull it off in a limited capacity. I took another week just to be safe, but that week now includes all three kids being home (8, 3, 3)… So we’ll see what that does for recovery.

2 Likes

Hi Jen,

Unless there are expected complications or insurance requirements, most ES surgeries in the US are done outpatient. It is rather nice to be able to go home post op. I was in the surgery center for about 6 hours before being sent home (that includes pre-op, op & recovery). I agree w/ Doc’s assessment that about 1.5 weeks post op would be the earliest, I could have gone back to work, & it would have been part time. Two weeks off is very reasonable & gives your body a chance to get a jump on healing before you’re dealing w/ the stress of the work world again. That said, at this juncture w/ the COVID19 lockdowns that are occurring, you just might get all the time you need off for a full recovery (which was about 2 mos for me).

1 Like

Sandal3,
I’m so sorry you had to cancel your appt. Will they let you book ahead in a month or so when, hopefully, at least some of the CV frenzy has passed? If the office is still open it would be worth checking.

I am at the hospital about to have surgery. All positive energy will be appreciated. I am interested to see how big my styloid actually is as I am wondering if this may be my styloid pressing as a result of my skull being fractured years and possibly shifted forward in that area.

2 Likes

Sending prayers and positive vibes for a successful outcome and speedy recovery,
BG

1 Like

Praying for the best possible outcome. :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Hi everyone! my update. I am at my kids’ place and feeling pretty good! so far swelling not bad, but my throat hurts. I tried to move to tylenol only but didn’t go so well so I am taking 1 norco with 1 tylenol every 6 hours. my cheek is a little numb. I cannot swallow without pain, so am on just liquids right now, though my appetite isn’t great anyway. I am struggling with the neutral head position. I did go to reach for something that was falling quick and felt something hurt in my neck. I am hoping I didn’t do something wrong as it has continued to hurt. My daughter has sent me back to bed and told me to stop doing so much so here I am. Anyway, I am going to try and attach a picture so those who want can see. Dr. Hepworth is optimistic, though, of course, cannot guarantee this will fix everything until we see how recovery goes and if the vessel responds (as I understand?). I am VERY optimistic though as I have not had pulsing today at all :slight_smile: Though the buzzing in my head is still there…

1 Like

Hi Jen!

Thank you for the update! You need to spend this week doing NOTHING!! You’ve just had major surgery. Let your kids take care of you. You probably just irritated some nerves when you grabbed for the item that fell. They will recover. Also, don’t attempt to stop your Norco until you’re 6 days out from surgery. Days 3-5 are the days your post op swelling & pain will be the worst. You’ll set your recovery back if you don’t stay on top of the pain. I speak from experience. I tried spacing out my pain meds starting on day 3 & ended up in bed on days 4 & 5 because my pain was so bad. I needed to take my Rx pain meds for close to 6 weeks though after about 1.5 weeks I could take less & farther apart.

Please remember this - it can take up to a year for the symptoms to resolve after ES surgery though you should notice improvement by 2 weeks-2 months post op. Also, you’ll have symptoms that come & go & come again. They will eventually go away. Finally, if you have bilateral ES, you’re likely to have symptoms that persist & won’t go away until you have your second styloidectomy &/or s-h ligament removal.

PLEASE listen to your body & take it easy for at least the first month post op. You’ll heal faster if you do.

1 Like

Thank you @Isaiah_40_31 ! super helpful information…I hope it is ok to vent…I have no place else to go…I am in meltdown mode today. Between surgery and the Coronavirus limitations. My best friend/roommate who I had coordinated everything with and I have seen through the last year of supporting through a horrific divorce bailed on me at the last minute (like literally on the way to the hospital) because she was afraid I might bring home the corona virus. It has been an unbelievable project to get all the supplies I had bought/prepared for back from her but my kids were finally allowed to go get them from her porch this evening. My neck is quite swollen with sticky fluid draining, being a nurse, I am pretty sure the issue is I need more protein.(the shakes they are bringing)