Has anyone tried or had a non-surgical approach to relief of this problem

Hi:

I am currently working with a Dentist that specializes in TMJ issues and decreasing "substance P" for pain by obtaining proper alignment etc.

The "Eagles Syndrome" I'm plaqued with has compressed my internal jugulars bilaterally against C2. On the venous MRI, I do show brain inflamation in the form of small TIA's (mini-strokes). Being a health provider etc. I was most unhappy about this. Given the lack of information and or alternatives other than surgical intervention...I hunted high and low.

I feel the early orthodonture in my teens where 4 good teeth were pulled and my jaw further compressed vs. braces to open up the area

set me up for this alignment issue. Was not happy to discover retraction vs. expansion of the jaw in young people is still being practiced in some offices to this day.

That aside...does anyone have any experience or results with this?

Also...how to measure the degree of cranial hypertension and inflamm ation.

I read some posts about the after surgery aftermath which concerned me as well given the muscles that attach to the Styloid etc.

FEEDBACK greatly appreciated...

Sincerely, New member...

Eva

I haven’t myself but heard of people getting trigger point injections right in the back of the throat were the styloid tip is hitting by your tonsils .First they inject lidocaine or a numbing agent if your symptoms disappear they move onto a steroid injection for anti inflammatory purposes Good Luck

hi deleone

thanks for reply. I just read something about eagles being caused by weakness in styloid ligament and strengthening

it with prylotherapy? Stumbled across caringmedical.com. Just looking at options. What concerns me most is this internal jugular compression. I will be getting CT venogram with contast in next 4 to 6 weeks to see if the dental orthotics have freed the compression up at all.

What have you done?

Eva

I can say that obtaining proper alignment and getting a night guard helped my symptoms some, but those were the facial symptoms and a little of the ear pain. My other constant ear pain, mouth, throat and tongu burning, something stabbing me in the throat, and some sort of salivary secretion buildup in my cheek (unrelated to salivary gland issues) did not get better. It seems your jugular problems and other symptoms will not be alleviated by proper jaw alignment. Since you are in the medical field, I am sure you have a very healthy understanding of the complications post op in your situation.

I would recommend that you speak to a very competent skull base surgeon or neurosurgeon.

I agree that your orthodontistry work may have set you up for this. I had braces to straighten my teeth, one was pulled to make space. My therapy was the least invasive as I have a congenitally underdeveloped jaw bone on one side and I would not let them shave the normal one down and totally reshape my jaw. Thankfully, I did not do that. However, I started to notice a small unexplained lump when I had any kind of cold. As years went on 10, to be specific, the lump became very large and painful when I got a cold. I could not drain my salivary glands properly and had to squeeze my cheek for relief. Then my ear pain and throat pain became constant. Finally, I showed the lump to my ENT. He diagnosed it and I had surgery a year ago.. Surgery was 90-95 % successful and most of the time I do well, Still have excessive secretions and I think it is due to an allergy or inflammation but they no longer stay in my cheek. My ENT thinks it could be due to my jaw losing some of its cushioning and I am a clencher and grinder.

I think you are right to be first concerned with the jugular compression. Best of luck.

I understand that prolotherapy does have some followers but it is not considered a proper medical technique. With the jugular compression, I would be concerned about producing more scar tissue because that is the entire concept of prolotherapy, I would not want to make anything near my affected side produce any more scar tissue. Just my opinion. My stylohyoid ligament was overly strong and ossified to 6 times the diameter of the good one. Part of it still remains and sometimes feels like a 1/4 inch diameter twig in my throat. I see no reason to strengthen it, or add any scar tissue on the non affected side even if it is weak. Another reason not to intentionally introduce scar tissue to the area, as you are aware, doctors tend to shy away from helping Eagles patients who had other surgeries for the specific reason of scar tissue.