How Do You all sleep?

I'm not in as much pain as a lot of you all seem to be, but am still finding sleep so difficult; I have tinnitus, and can't lay on left side because of the pain from Eagles, nor back as I get the pulsatile tinnitus and neck pain, and my right side is starting to get more painful too! On the plus side.....I'm doing a college course so am getting a lot of work done when I can't sleep at night !

Other than sleeping tablets can anyone give any advice?

Jules

1 Like

I usually stack pillows so that I can sleep with my torso elevated. A reclining chair would provide a similar affect. I also sleep with an ice pack on my neck. I try to keep a boring book nearby so that when I wake in the night, I can read a few pages to take my mind off the discomfort. Your college textbooks should help with that!

Good luck and sweet dreams

Hello Jules,

I have found that this product (http://www.avogel.co.uk/herbal-remedies/valerian-hops-dormeasan/) works very well as an alternative to sleeping tablets. You should be able to find it at an herbalist shop, unless you know any Druids who can whip up something similar. :) Alternately, you can make a tea from dried hops, or pin a sachet of dried hops to your pillow. It goes without saying that any beverage made with hops will also work, assuming you have that sort of thing in the UK. ;)

I have been sleeping in a reclined position for the last 6 months, until recently on a recliner chair, but I just purchased a bed wedge, which is working well. It allows me to easily adjust the sleeping angle, so I can move from a reading position to a perfect sleeping position very quickly. I find though, that if I go below a certain angle, I have difficulty breathing.

Good luck,

Red Pill

Thanks to you both for the replies; I've found there's a health food shop which stocks the sleep remedy nearby so will try that, and prop myself up more. Reading course work books won't help; that'll get my mind going about the work I've got left to do! But on a positive note, I have been able to get quite a bit of work done in the early hours when everyone else is asleep!!

Jules

Red Pill said:

Hello Jules,

I have found that this product (http://www.avogel.co.uk/herbal-remedies/valerian-hops-dormeasan/) works very well as an alternative to sleeping tablets. You should be able to find it at an herbalist shop, unless you know any Druids who can whip up something similar. :) Alternately, you can make a tea from dried hops, or pin a sachet of dried hops to your pillow. It goes without saying that any beverage made with hops will also work, assuming you have that sort of thing in the UK. ;)

I have been sleeping in a reclined position for the last 6 months, until recently on a recliner chair, but I just purchased a bed wedge, which is working well. It allows me to easily adjust the sleeping angle, so I can move from a reading position to a perfect sleeping position very quickly. I find though, that if I go below a certain angle, I have difficulty breathing.

Good luck,

Red Pill

I also have back issues so I take 1/2 of a flexeral pill and that helps me sleep. When the pain is bad I take 1/2 of a norco pill and that really helps the pain. To be honest the think that really helped me the most was acupuncture. I went a few weeks and now only go back when I get bad flare ups. Most of the time I can manage the flareups with norco for pain. Really, try acupuncture.

Oh, I also put an ice pack (the round little kids one) on my ear against my pillow and it helps with the heat issues and pain.

I don't think I could cope with cold, but thanks for the painkillers advice- I will go and see GP soon to get something! I find heat helps me a bit more, so have a hot water bottle as a permanent attachment on my neck or face these days at home!!

Deep joy!

Prayer support is helping too,

thanks for all your advice,

Jules

Post-surgical left styloid, I can now lay on my back and it does not feel like my airway is closing up. But I still sleep on my right side. It helps my right styloid pain and pressure to have my jaw supported by my pillow or the TV remote control.

All of my life, falling asleep has been hard. In the morning, I have a hard time waking up or feel like a foggy or exhausted.

Jules, you said you're not a fan of cold (neither am I) but I'll tell you what worked for me just in case: popsicles. I ate about 20 per night and I could sleep. If I got sick of popsicles and refused to eat them one night, I'd be up all night. The popsicles would temporarily reduce the swelling and therefore the pressure on my nerves, and my symptoms would be relieved long enough to fall asleep.

Aside from that, flexeril was a lifesaver for me, too.

my journey with this started on jan 7 1999, just before 11p, when my squad car was parked at a crash scene and i was rear ended by a car that was doing about 65 mph in the middle of an ice storm

prior to the crash, i could sleep any time i wanted, all was great.

post crash i had a constant headache, pounding all the time and it got worse when i went horizontal. sleep was almost impossible.

i would just keep going until i would just pretty much shut down and get some sleep. i could sleep some if i stayed in a chair.

sleeping pills of all kinds. ambien worked but the side effects of doing weird things and not remembering anything was disturbing. diagnosed with everything under the sun and finally stumbled into eagles in 2012. the styloids were shutting down the blood flow on the jugler on both sides. different positions would make it worse and at times in some positions, it would make me go into black out mode.

i found dr cognetti at jefferson in philly and he took the styloids out summer 2013.

best thing i ever did.

post op, sleeping is back without any pills or other chemicals. actually seems like i cant sleep enough now, almost like my body is trying to catch up on ZZZ's that were lost in the last 14 years.

it is unbeliveable how much better you can feel just by getting to sleep

Elavil + Oxymorphone ER. The surgery will help you sleep better too. Surgery and Medications are the only way to get relief. Everything else is speculative.

Has anyone tried Sleep Phones to help drown out the Pulsatile tinnitus?

From one Insominiac to another I just stay up and watch TV. Play card games anything to drown out the Tinitis! When my husband gets a good snoring going sometimes that’s enough? I also take Melatonin before bed. I just want to get fixed!