How was swallowing after surgery

Hi Naturelover,
What is the name of your surgeon?

I am in Minnesota. His name is Dr. William Omlie. I really liked him.

1 Like

@Rachel1220 just wondering if you decided anything about your surgery? It’s this week right?

Hi,
I decided to move forward with Wednesday after a telehealth with the doctor last week. I have major anxiety about it, haven’t slept, and feel panic attacks come on at different times of the day. I mostly worry for complications and the recovery part of it. She has helped comfort me through both of those things but I feel a bit clouded and can’t pull myself together. I am praying that I am more along the lines of the positive uplifiting stories I’ve read on this site but the fear of unknown has me worried.

You sound just like me! I don’t have anything scheduled yet, but I will be the same way. It’s very scary, but I think the majority of people seem to recover well. And you have to think that people who are well are not usually on these types of forums. Even with all the positive stories here, I bet there are dozens more who have a good experience and move on with life! I will be praying for you.

1 Like

Rest assured that most of us who have our first surgery go on to have their second side done- so it must be worth it! I was really worried, but it was nothing like as bad as I’d thought it would be…will pray for peace for you as well as a good outcome :hugs: :pray:

2 Likes

Rachel1220

I can only repeat what one_day & Jules said. The anticipation of the unknown is often the worst part of many of life’s journeys. Once you arrive & the unknown is known it’s easier to face whatever comes next. I will also pray for you to have peace & be able to rest as your surgery day comes. :hugs:

3 Likes

@Rachel1220 I’ve been sending you good thoughts all morning. Please let us know how your surgery went. I hope you see great improvements quickly :slight_smile:

Praying for you & hope that it all went well… :pray: :hugs: :bouquet:

Hi everyone!

Wow, thank you so much for the well wishes. I was discharged same day and woke up feeling really good after surgery. Sitting up, talking, minimal pain, and no issue swallowing . I also ate ice cream while in recovery which was delicious.

I imagine the next few days to be rough (not sure) but plan to update my whole story top to bottom when I pull out laptop.

Doctor said it will b a few weeks before noticing any real changes - maybe 3 or so! But in terms of how I feel- so far so good! Watching HGTV, lots of pillows, ordered a neck pillow for sleeping, and ice! Haven’t had anything else to eat but tempted because def have appetite.

I’m discharged at a hotel (my reward for a couple days with sister and cousin for a long couple weeks) and icing ! I have some swelling at neck site and taking everyone’s advice to ice ice ice!! It’s not horrible and no drain used. I have some pics! Incision covered with steri strips! They suggested lots of hydration. So drinking water using a straw!

Haven’t taken pain med since leaving hospital earlier but they did prescribe narco! I’ll update more soon for sure!! Thank you for the prayers!!

1 Like

This is so so so awesome!! I hope it continues for you. Thank you for letting us know you did well. Can I ask who did your surgery?

Hi Rachel2020,

I’m so glad you’re feeling good, but do want to warn you that surgery day can put you in a sort of post op “honeymoon” period because it takes a day or two for the anesthesia & anti-inflammatories used during surgery to wear off. It is very important for you to take your pain meds on schedule to help your body stay ahead of the pain for the first 4-5 days. Days 3-5 are when your swelling & pain may possibly be the worst so keep that ice & those meds coming during those days. Keeping your head elevated when resting or sleeping is also critical to help ease swelling. Finally, keep a laxative & stool softener on board as those darn Rx pain meds do clog the plumbing pretty quickly & that is not a fun thing to add to your already “delicate” condition.

I’ll be praying for you to have minimal pain & a quick recovery. Again, so glad your surgery went well. I hope you’re able to enjoy the time w/ your sister & cousin!

So pleased that you’re doing so well, that’s great news! As Isaiah says, it can get rougher the next few days, & there will be ups & down to recovery, so don’t feel despondent if that happens. Enjoy the rest, best wishes & God bless :pray: :bouquet: :hugs:

Hi!
I’m on day 2 and have some noticeable swelling in neck and under chin area that doesn’t make swallowing very fun but still able to get drinks and stuff down! I’m looking for ways to ice and have tried everything. I’ve tried ziploc bags, ice in socks, ice is rubber gloves, ice packs, you name it! The pain is still mild but I am taking narco before bed and Tylenol as needed during day.

Getting comfortable and night times have proven to be the most uncomfy. Yday couldn’t even figure out a good way to position myself.

I’m concerned about showering and washing hair since neck movement is not what it was pre surgery just yet.

Just a quick update!

Lots of tv and laying in bed and laying down, sitting up, propping up with pillows and doing that all over again! Sister and cousin have been tremendous help when needing to get up and lay down.

Popsicles might help with the swelling, if you can swallow okay? I would sleep semi-upright with a wedge pillow, & had a V-shaped pillow too which seemed to take the pressure off the side of my neck a bit, & I’d prop myself over a bit on the good side. Hair washing wasn’t easy I remember- I would lean over the kitchen sink, & my hubby helped wash it- but he wasn’t very good at it :joy: It wasn’t long before I could manage myself though!
Can you chew & open your mouth wide enough, is that not too uncomfy?
Keep up with the pain meds & glad you have nurses/ company! :bouquet: :pray:

Hi Rachel2020,

Gel ice packs w/ covers worked best for me because they weren’t too heavy & conformed to my neck shape. I’d keep the ice on for 20 min then wait a couple of hours & repeat. The ice felt good while in place but didn’t remove my pain, just dulled it a bit.

As far as sleeping goes, I was completely in your camp. Sleeping on the wedge pillow was not comfy but it did help my throat not feel like it would swell shut while I was sleeping. That was a BIG bonus!

Though lying down & resting feel best right now, it’s really important for you to get up & take a few short walks every day at this point. My surgeon recommended three 10-15 min. walks/day starting day 2 after surgery. I didn’t really comply w/ that till later in my first week, but it does help keep the circulation in your legs & feet moving so you don’t have problems there. It also helps w/ overall circulation which will promote healing. I still remember hanging onto my sister’s arm while we took short walks, first down my hallway & back then outside. My pain meds made me fill loopy & a bit unsteady on my feet. :slightly_smiling_face:

Rachel, just want to say thanks for posting this…I am going through the exact same thing…have my first appointment with Dr. Hackman in July. I am terrified that this is getting worse each day and the styloid will eventually stab through my throat. I hope you are doing well now, and am going to look for your posts elsewhere on the site to see how your recovery is going <3.

Hi!
It’s been a bit since posting on here but I’m happy to share any and everything. I’ve mostly been communicating with people via messages. I’ll admit the hardest and worst part was the worry and stress that came along with it! The site is a blessing and a curse with how easy it is to get lost in posts! I’m so glad you have an appointment and that answers await! Sure hoping you get the relief you deserve. Let me know if you have questions or how I can help. Finding a good support system that doesn’t get tired of hearing about your fears and anxiety helped me a TON!!! For what it’s worth, I didn’t have any worse swallowing issues post surgery but I also didn’t get the immediate relief I had hoped for! Every day has been better than the past months but it’s been slow! Swelling was the worst part for me but never any pain- even after surgery!

:slight_smile:

2 Likes