Https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/cns.13148

It can cause other symptoms but I don’t know that it can cause any other major health issues other than the intracranial hypertension. My doctor told me I should not be concerned about stroke. I feel like I am going to pass out at times, especially when I’m exercising vigorously and it’s worse in the heat. Headaches are very common with intracranial hypertension, mine are on my right side behind my eye. Also have major pain in my right neck, shoulder, ear, arm numbness and tingling at times, and feeling of something stuck in the right side of my throat. My symptoms have greatly improved since my doctor started me on a blood thinner. (plavix 75 mg) but I don’t know if it’s just masking the symptoms or actually helping the root cause. I am having a cerebral angiogram 10/2 to examine the pressures of the veins in my head and neck and find out whether my styloid is what’s compressing the vein or what.

3 Likes

Good job geeking, Natty! The compression can clearly be seen in the 3D images just by the lack of blood present in the IJV where compression is occurring.

1 Like

Sometimes other veins can enlarge & take over the function of the jugular vein, so this would lessen the IH. The MRI report clearly states findings consistent with IH, & given you can see the compression of the veins, it doesn’t seem to be any doubt that the styloid is linked to the IH cause. I think it can cause hearing loss too.

1 Like

Thank you for the info and feedback and sorry to hear of your symptoms. I get an array of the awful things too.

Good luck with your angio in October. I hope it brings you the answers you need. :heartbeat:

Have you had a ctv? Did that show compression for you and to see if your styloid/s were involved?

Thanks Isaiah! Yep I agree. Whenever I’m waiting for results (and in the uk, long waiting times are a fairly standard occurrence :woman_facepalming:t2:) I become an avid researcher :joy:

No one else cares about our own health as much as ourselves. Majority become our own doctors, I’ve found with chronic conditions

2 Likes

Thanks Jules for the feedback. :heartbeat: I’m just hoping I hear back with the results soon. Mr Axon’s secretary has been on annual leave and catching up this week. But must admit after paying private for the ctv, my patience is wearing thin. Just want to get things moving now either way.

What I find odd is if I had to guess, going on how I physically feel. I would say my symptoms are physically worse on my left side so I was surprised to see the level of compression and size of my styloid was all on the right. I had severe left eye pain the other night for hours and that side of my forehead etc and my left ear blocks more and my head and neck feel more numb the left side. Also the pulling on my eyes I experience, again is more prominent on my left side. Very odd

I’ve heard a few ppl say this. They feel there symptoms are more prominent to the opposite side of their more prominent side of compression on imaging

1 Like

Natty, I never had a CTV… it was offered to me instead of the angiogram but my doctor said I could end up needing both anyway, and to avoid a double dose of radiation he recommended just doing the angio from the start. I have had CT without contrast, and a vascular ultrasound of my neck which is what initially showed compression (the blood is rushing through my neck much faster than it should be.) The ultrasound showed it was compressed on both sides of my neck even though all of my issues are on the right side.

1 Like

Ah ok makes sense to go straight to angio then.

I had ultrasound too which showed bilateral narrowing of the ijv’s at mid and c1 section but high velocity in right sided dominant jugular.

Did you have High velocity both sides? What diameter do your veins go down to?

1 Like

I don’t know the diameters but velocity was about 160 cms/second per vein, my doctor said 50 is normal. It was the same on both sides.

1 Like

Oh wow high then. It’s measured differently in the UK. Not sure that I can compare or even if it’s physically possible to convert it but mine was 130ml/min at mid which measured 1mm

I definitely could be misremembering and misstating the report , and mine could have been mls/sec. I’d have to go look at it. I just remember the number was 160.

1 Like

Hi everyone. So radiology report said quite “marked” bilateral internal jugular vein compression between c1 and styloids. That’s all I know for now. Seeing Mr Axon in clinic to discuss results hopefully soon.

3 Likes

Good that you have it confirmed! Peony has a Zoom meeting with her daughter & MT Axon tomorrow, sounds like she has similar issues…hope that you do get your appt. through soon! :pray:

Thanks Jules. I have just been reading through peony’s posts. Seems very similar. Just wrote a comment.

Will keep you all posted on Follow up with Mr Axon.

Thanks for all of your help and support! I love this group :heartbeat:

2 Likes

We’re so glad to be here for you Natty04!!

1 Like