I was just diagnoised with ES a week ago

The relief I feel that there is a name to this , Right now, I'm just trying to process the diagnosis. I'm feeling a bit wozzy me. I just want to get surgery as soon as possible. I was fortunate I didn't have to go years without a diagnosis. Though, my story is very similar to the ones here. My Doctor's were grasping, Fibromyalgia , Acid Reflux, Maybe, something neurological? The most disturbing thing for me was every time I went to the Doctor, the test's would take months out to get anything done. In the mean time my symptoms were getting worse. Finally, I couldn't wait any longer. So, I went to the Mayo in Phoenix. Unfortunately, It was the day before Thanksgiving, and the ENT PA, who related the results of my CT. didn't give me great advice on what to do next. I will be talking to the my main Dr. from Mayo tomorrow. Does anyone have any advice on what are the best questions to ask. Should I get surgery as soon as possible? Do anyone know of a good surgeon at the Mayo? Any, and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you~

Surgery is the only cure, but risky, so carefully choose your surgeon. There are some good ones mentioned by our members. You live near California and AZ. I have never heard of a good one in NM, but that does not mean that there are none. There are two types of surgery intraoral and external. Intraoral is done through the throat like a tonsillectomy. It is easier for most surgeons who want to avoid touching nerves etc, but not always the best. Esternal is done from outside the neck, It can leave a scar and is close to the nerves and arteries. However, the doc can see the entire styloid and get to it better if he is good. In either case, not all surgeries are 100% successful, some even make things worst. I hope not too many. Most of us go to surgery because our pain is unceasing and we just can't tolerate the pain and or the drugs that only mask the pain and then only minimally. Believe me, you will know when you absolutely must do something. Just check out the doctors, for yourself. There is a list of known doctors, but none of them have been 100% successful. I think most of us are at least a lot better if not completely better, but I know some of us feel worse off. I personally put the risk out of my mind when I did surgery and it did work out well, but I still have issues sometimes, but not necessarily from Eagles. Diet for acid reflux has helped a lot with the rest of my issues most of the time. Best of luck to you

Thank you for your post. I've been reading everyone's stories about surgery, and their symptoms. I just

want to get this over with. You really, have eased my mind knowing you have gone through the surgery. May I ask where did you get you have it done, and how long ago?

emma said:

Surgery is the only cure, but risky, so carefully choose your surgeon. There are some good ones mentioned by our members. You live near California and AZ. I have never heard of a good one in NM, but that does not mean that there are none. There are two types of surgery intraoral and external. Intraoral is done through the throat like a tonsillectomy. It is easier for most surgeons who want to avoid touching nerves etc, but not always the best. Esternal is done from outside the neck, It can leave a scar and is close to the nerves and arteries. However, the doc can see the entire styloid and get to it better if he is good. In either case, not all surgeries are 100% successful, some even make things worst. I hope not too many. Most of us go to surgery because our pain is unceasing and we just can't tolerate the pain and or the drugs that only mask the pain and then only minimally. Believe me, you will know when you absolutely must do something. Just check out the doctors, for yourself. There is a list of known doctors, but none of them have been 100% successful. I think most of us are at least a lot better if not completely better, but I know some of us feel worse off. I personally put the risk out of my mind when I did surgery and it did work out well, but I still have issues sometimes, but not necessarily from Eagles. Diet for acid reflux has helped a lot with the rest of my issues most of the time. Best of luck to you

My son was bi-lateral and had both surgeries this year (the most recent just over 2 weeks ago). I would ask the doctors how many have they done (experience matters)? do they take the whole styloid or just a piece (the answer you want is that they will try to remove the entire styloid if is it possible without damaging arteries)? Do they do theirs intra-oral or external? Other than that, you are good to go. You may want to speak to others who have used the surgeon you select if the doctor's office can get permission to let you speak to them. Good luck.

Thank you for the response, you've given me some good questions to ask~ I appreciate it...

Ear Mom said:

My son was bi-lateral and had both surgeries this year (the most recent just over 2 weeks ago). I would ask the doctors how many have they done (experience matters)? do they take the whole styloid or just a piece (the answer you want is that they will try to remove the entire styloid if is it possible without damaging arteries)? Do they do theirs intra-oral or external? Other than that, you are good to go. You may want to speak to others who have used the surgeon you select if the doctor's office can get permission to let you speak to them. Good luck.