I will have ES surgery in 10 days

ligaments

I know the one on my left is a calcified ligament because it isn’t a completely ossified structure. made surgery appt for july 20th. nervous but I feel that is what needs to be done.

Good luck to you, Hope.

Hope said:

I know the one on my left is a calcified ligament because it isn't a completely ossified structure. made surgery appt for july 20th. nervous but I feel that is what needs to be done.

I don't know, but there have been discussions on here before about that, and others who've had the ligament removed said that they were fine to chew etc afterwards. Mine was just the styloid elongated. I'll have a hunt and see if I can find the discussions. Glad that you have a date to 'look forward to'!

There was a discussion by Southern Rancher back in May: Styloid Excision.

Hi Hope,

I had my first surgery in Nov. 2014. My ENT shortened my styloid & removed my ligament. He said the ligament plays an extremely minor role in swallowing & like your appendix, you can live without it. I honestly haven't noticed any difference in my ability to swallow w/ the ligament gone. That said, I do have swallowing trouble because I still have an elongated styloid that's poking into my throat & swallowing liquids seems to cause me the most trouble (I cough after I take a drink). I will have my second surgery 8/24 and can give a more definitive answer after that (a bit too late for your surgery). I think you will find, you won't miss the ligament though.

Hope said:

so how do you chew and move your tongue if those ligents are removed?

Thanks

Oops...2014

Isaiah 40:31 said:

Hi Hope,

I had my first surgery in Nov. 2104. My ENT shortened my styloid & removed my ligament. He said the ligament plays an extremely minor role in swallowing & like your appendix, you can live without it. I honestly haven't noticed any difference in my ability to swallow w/ the ligament gone. That said, I do have swallowing trouble because I still have an elongated styloid that's poking into my throat & swallowing liquids seems to cause me the most trouble (I cough after I take a drink). I will have my second surgery 8/24 and can give a more diffinitive answer after that (a bit too late for your surgery). I think you will find, you won't miss the ligament though.

Hope said:

so how do you chew and move your tongue if those ligents are removed?

Hello everyone, I'm new to this group but I wanted to share my experience: My journey begin in September 2013 the day before I was scheduled to have two masses removed from my right pharynx, I started having left ear pain. I mentioned it to my ENT who thought it may be deferred pain and suggested possibly inserting a tube in the left ear after the Laryngoscopy was complete. Finally this past June 2015 I went back to see him after using prescription ear drops, and explained to him that the pain was becoming excruciating and moving into my head, neck and shoulder and it felt like something was caught in my throat every time I swallowed. He ordered a CT of temporal bones and mastoid which appeared normal, but he admitted that he felt a need to refer me to a Neurootolaryngologist. Long story short I was able to get in to see the Neuro ENT at the begining of July and after talking with him for about an hour, explaining my symptoms and a thorough examination he ordered a full head and neck CT which revealed that I have Eagle Syndrome. From there he fast tracked me over to an ENT Head and Neck Surgeon at EVMS Otolarygology who successfully performed my first procedure on 08/28/15!!!

I am 48 hrs post-op from having the Intraoral Left Styloid Process excision and I must say that I thank God for the surgery and the surgeon!!! The only post-op discomfort I have is a little stiffness in my neck,and scratchy throat but I noticed immediate relief from the pain and pressure that the tip of the Styloid was putting on the nerves in that region. Although the left Styloid was 4cm and the right is 4.5 cm, the position of the left was causing far more excruciating pain which is why I had it removed first. Dr. John T. Sinacori is an excellent surgeon and I'm praying that my surgery to have the right Styloid removed will be just as successful.

To all those who are suffering from Eagle Syndrome don't give up in your search and journey for a qualified and confident surgeon, God will provide just have faith!!!

Hi:

I am truly glad that you have had relief from the ES surgery.

Thanks for sharing your story.

AL

egyptianqueen37 said:

Hello everyone, I'm new to this group but I wanted to share my experience: My journey begin in September 2013 the day before I was scheduled to have two masses removed from my right pharynx, I started having left ear pain. I mentioned it to my ENT who thought it may be deferred pain and suggested possibly inserting a tube in the left ear after the Laryngoscopy was complete. Finally this past June 2015 I went back to see him after using prescription ear drops, and explained to him that the pain was becoming excruciating and moving into my head, neck and shoulder and it felt like something was caught in my throat every time I swallowed. He ordered a CT of temporal bones and mastoid which appeared normal, but he admitted that he felt a need to refer me to a Neurootolaryngologist. Long story short I was able to get in to see the Neuro ENT at the begining of July and after talking with him for about an hour, explaining my symptoms and a thorough examination he ordered a full head and neck CT which revealed that I have Eagle Syndrome. From there he fast tracked me over to an ENT Head and Neck Surgeon at EVMS Otolarygology who successfully performed my first procedure on 08/28/15!!!

I am 48 hrs post-op from having the Intraoral Left Styloid Process excision and I must say that I thank God for the surgery and the surgeon!!! The only post-op discomfort I have is a little stiffness in my neck,and scratchy throat but I noticed immediate relief from the pain and pressure that the tip of the Styloid was putting on the nerves in that region. Although the left Styloid was 4cm and the right is 4.5 cm, the position of the left was causing far more excruciating pain which is why I had it removed first. Dr. John T. Sinacori is an excellent surgeon and I'm praying that my surgery to have the right Styloid removed will be just as successful.

To all those who are suffering from Eagle Syndrome don't give up in your search and journey for a qualified and confident surgeon, God will provide just have faith!!!