IJV Decompression of left C1 scheduled with Dr Timothy in UK

Hi Everyone, it has been a busy week for me as things evolved much quicker than I thought. I had consult with Dr. Timothy in UK earlier this year and I have been waiting for surgery date. I finally have one Oct 16th since an opening was found in that date.

Dr. Timothy did operate on @PatientD who really introduced him to me and I found him a skilled neurosurgeon when it comes to cervical spine. He operates on C1 only unlike some of the other doctors who combine both Styloid removal & C1 shaving. So I will be going to UK for this surgery and hope that it goes smoothly. I will update you guys as I proceed with this particular surgery.

10 Likes

Really happy to hear this and hoping this is the beginning of the end for your symptoms.

2 Likes

Fantastic!! Was hoping there was something coming your way. So that’s wonderful news to hear. )))

2 Likes

Thanks @elijah and @Leah. I hope that too

1 Like

I am glad Mr T is helping you. I know you are in good hands. Safe travels. D

3 Likes

@KoolDude - after all you’ve done to help so many of us here, I’m really glad to know you’re finally able to move forward to take care of yourself. I have put your surgery date on my calendar & will be praying for Dr. Timothy to do his best surgery ever & that the outcome will be nothing short of a miraculous recovery from your awful symptoms.

Thank you so much for the update. :hugs: :pray: :heart:

2 Likes

Thanks @PatientD you really increased my confidence in him given that you had both C1 shaved by him.

@Isaiah_40_31 always your kind words are appreciated and it is in part what makes this place home for a lot of us. Hope all the prayers are accepted.

1 Like

Ps. Take ear defence with you. The ward alarm system was noisy when I was there. D

3 Likes

Thanks @PatientD , Will do. If you recall your post-op experience on you left C1 right after surgery, what did feel right after the surgery? How was the pain and symptoms ?

1 Like

Hi, yes I do recall. For me this was the easiest operation I had with the fastest recovery. My incision was tiny, about to 2.5cm long below ear. It’s a very pale thin line now. For me first 24 hours at start I could feel benefit & then swelling & fluid from healing started to kick in & had to wait for that to pass. If I knew then what I know now about icing, deep oscillation lymph, Cica gel dressing etc I am sure my recovery could have been faster. But C1 op was far easier recovery than neck surgeries as that area does not swell as much with such a small scar. Of course brain blood flow must then adapt to changes which takes time. But for me both C1 trims proved to be a good thing. Good luck. D

5 Likes

Really pleased that you’re able to have surgery, you’ve had such a long journey! (And obvs a long journey literally to the UK!) I’ll be praying that all goes well for you & that this surgery sorts things for you. God bless :pray:

2 Likes

Surgery has been completed a few hours ago successfully. I am feeling fine and I can hardly notice any pain in the operated area. I think due to anesthesia. There is a little numbness on my left cheek and below the ear. In terms of symptoms, it is too early to call and will wait for a while before I can accurately assess them report back.

I want to thank each and everyone for the support and well-wishes.

11 Likes

Great to hear the surgery went smoothly mate. Look forward to hearing further updates, will keep fingers crossed for you! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for reporting so soon after surgery, @KoolDude. Good to know all went well & will await further updates as healing progresses. :hugs:

2 Likes

So glad surgery went ok. Hoping it will help once you heal. Safe travels back to your home. D

3 Likes

Glad you’ve had surgery, praying for a speedy recovery and success :hugs: :pray:

3 Likes

Hey there,
I missed this the other day. Hoping :crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2: you are healing well and will receive immense benefit )))

4 Likes

How are you getting on @KoolDude? :pray: :hugs:

3 Likes

@KoolDude I hope you are doing OK almost ten days after op, not going through some A&E misadventures like I was at ten days mark :smiley:

4 Likes

Hi All,

Sorry for not updating. I went through bit of a roller coaster as I went through a second surgery on Wednesday Oct 18 as CTV taken on Tuesday Oct 17 showed that the C1 bone compression area was not shaved enough to decompress the vein and that my vien drapes over on the lateral area of the C1 than the C1 tubercle. Dr. Timothy initially shaved the the C1 tubercle which was only compressing tiny portion of the vein. He actually suggested that we do CTV after the first operation as he sometimes careful not to shave too much. I will write a complete/detailed update once I am feeling a bit better. I am currently recovering ok and it has been 8 days since the 2nd surgery which Dr. Timothy said he had removed/shaved enough C1 without compromising safety and left some bone to protect the VA. I will know what he did in the 2nd surgery after I do CTV within 2 months or so. My old symptoms have not changed yet and it is too early to comment that anyways. I came back yesterday to Canada from UK

5 Likes