Life After Two Surgeries

My first intra oral surgery was on my right styloid on May 13, 2015. My second surgery was on my left styloid on June 30th. I had some lingering pain on my left side for awhile. Thankfully, I am able to say that I am now just about completely pain free. I have been using some St John's Wort infused in oil on my face 2x a day and have had two cranial sacrial therapies over the past couple of weeks. All in all....life after surgeries is SO MUCH BETTER!!

Really great news, Lola, and thank you for sharing your success story! We hope that you go back to teaching your new class with renewed energy, enthusiasm and voice!!

Thanks Jules! Being without facial pain is wonderful! Thank you, Dr. Timothy Anderson at Lahey Clinic in Burlington, MA.

Jules said:

Really great news, Lola, and thank you for sharing your success story! We hope that you go back to teaching your new class with renewed energy, enthusiasm and voice!!

So, today is September 25 and almost one month since I said that "...I am now just about completely pain free..." I don't understand why my jaw is aching again. I wonder, could it be because I am back to teaching? I didn't have to talk or raise my voice for the entire summer...unless I wanted to. I just don't get it. Anyone else have pain return after intra oral surgery? My last procedure was June 30, 2015. Feeling very disappointed.

It could be that you're using muscles you've rested over summer, plus have had healing tissues around the operation site... then having to go back to work again is using those muscles? I still have some days where my neck feels as if the styloid was never removed! I find if I'm lifting anything much it can all ache- you probably have heavy bags to take to and from school? I'm using oil and massaging the scar as that gets quite tight and tender around it too. Can't remember if you had external or intra-oral? Scar tissue can form too which might make things ache. Hope that it's not too bad, and will ease with time.

I appreciate your response, Jules. I had external on both sides. I use the elevator at school because of bad knee so I can rule that out. I am using St. John's Wort infused oil on my face which is a temporary relief from the ache. I am waking up with tingly lips, achy face/jaw and ringing ears. I have been a teeth grinder for years (no appliance) and recently realized that I am biting the inside of my mouth while asleep. I have to wonder if the aching is related to those things. I have a dental appointment in a couple of weeks and will discuss this with dentist. Just never seems to end!

Jules said:

It could be that you're using muscles you've rested over summer, plus have had healing tissues around the operation site... then having to go back to work again is using those muscles? I still have some days where my neck feels as if the styloid was never removed! I find if I'm lifting anything much it can all ache- you probably have heavy bags to take to and from school? I'm using oil and massaging the scar as that gets quite tight and tender around it too. Can't remember if you had external or intra-oral? Scar tissue can form too which might make things ache. Hope that it's not too bad, and will ease with time.

The tingly face etc. sounds like it could be nerve-related- maybe it's still healing from the surgery, it can take a while. Hope the dentist has some ideas!