Mock up of anatomy while moving head - to see what styloid could be hitting?

I am very symptomatic and basically can’t move my head without something happening. I feel ‘vagus’ nerve-y, tmj/temporalis pain (even though had those botoxed last week) and a bit ‘stabby’ right where this is.

Has anyone seen anything that shows the movement of the head w nerves and vasculature with this little dagger? I’ve looked around and haven’t found anything, but seems it would be incredibly helpful to learn from and to show all the docs who are unaware of the damage this causes.

Grasping at straws I’m sure, but worth an ask )).

TIA,
Leah

1 Like

Hi @Leah,

Your best bet might be searching YouTube videos. What I can suggest is that the tmj/temporalis pain is coming from your trigeminal nerve, which along w/ the vagus & glossopharyngeal, is very commonly irritated by elongated styloids.

There is a series on YouTube called Two Minute Neuroscience where there’s a 2 min. video that covers each of the 12 cranial nerve. Of interest w/ ES are the trigeminal, facial, vagus, glossopharyngeal, hypoglossal, accessory & possibly the vestibulocochlear nerves (I have not listed them in proper numerical order). I think you will find these helpful. To get you started, here is the link for the trigeminal nerve video:

3 Likes

Thank you so much! I will educate myself. I did find a Caring Medical on ES, where he was holding a skull and showed that leaning the head back with support gives space for IJV (I believe it was)… That was good start for helping my upright sleeping position.

Caring Medical does have lots of helpful information about ES but be careful not to believe anything they say about prolotherapy being useful in treating it. We have many members who have spent thousands of dollars trying it w/ basically no good outcomes.

2 Likes

Yes, thank you, I have been aware of him for about 10 years, but didn’t see the science to back up his claims unfortunately.

2 Likes