Muscle Weakness post surgery

I'm 3 weeks post surgery. External approach. I have muscle weakness on the left side of my face (left styloid removed) after surgery. My face and lip isn't numb just doesn't move like my right side lip. When I smile or talk its noticeable! The platysma muscle what cut in my neck to get to the styloid. The Dr. says it should come resume in 6-8 months. Has this happened to anyone here?

I know this is an old post just wanted to let you know they I have started getting this recently. its been almost a year since surgery so im not entirely sure its related but I have a good feeling it is. It is most noticeably on my eyebrow and cheek. It is as if my right side moves a half second slower the the other. Also tingling and numbness which travels in my jaw and mouth.

Had you recovered from surgery okay then, until this? I'm only 3 weeks post surgery, I've had the tingling and numbness on my jaw and face since surgery, but then had it before surgery anyway. It is improving so I hope it will go. I don't think there's any muscle weakness. I've read about quite a few others having this post surgery, but it sounds unusual to get it after a year? Are you planning to see your doctor?

Yes it will go away just give it a month or two. I would say all of my lower jaw and chin numbness went away about 90-95% after a month or so.its not untill recently that it comes and goes randomly but not like before. My most awkward post surgery symptom was the taste buds of death. My tongue would tingle in pain almost on fire whenever I ate anything. It would slowly subside after eating but for about a month or so I really hated eating and never looked forward to my next meal. But that too passed. hopefully the facial weakness will pass for us both..

Since January 2014, I have pressure around my right eye and nose area that never goes away. This was the main symptom that pushed me to have surgery. I had my right styloid shorten externally through my neck about two months ago. But the pressure still remains. I am at a loss on what to do next. I also have more issues to deal with after surgery than before.

Pressure around your eye and nose areas could be sinus pressure. I wouldn't think that ES would cause that. Do you have allergies? Our sinuses run along our top teeth up around our noses and around our eyes - Google "Sinuses in the human head" & you'll see pictures of where they're located which might help you identify if your pressure is in the sinus areas.

Hope said:

Since January 2014, I have pressure around my right eye and nose area that never goes away. This was the main symptom that pushed me to have surgery. I had my right styloid shorten externally through my neck about two months ago. But the pressure still remains. I am at a loss on what to do next. I also have more issues to deal with after surgery than before.

I looked at the sinus pressure/pain option before I had surgery. The problem is the pain/pressure never goes away. I wake up with it and go to sleep with it. It’s almost like a nerve compression issue. I even told the surgeon that this was my main issue before I had surgery. His reply was that it could be referred pain from the styloid. He told me to take the styloid out and see what happens. I also decided to have surgery because my styloids were thick and almost down to my hyloid bone. The surgeon removed 3.6 cm from my right styloid that originally measured almost 4.9 cm. It took me three years to find an experienced surgeon so I took a leap of faith. Unfortunately, it didn’t work for me. In fact, I have more problems after surgery than I did before surgery.

I also read that some members had similar pain/pressure symptoms around their eye and face and were cure immediately after surgery.

I'm sorry you're having these troubles. Wish I could give you other insight. I have a friend & a brother-in-law who both had serious sinus issues (but not ES) & had to have their sinuses surgically "cleaned out". My brother-in-law's case was especially touchy since it was the sinuses in his brain that were affected. If you haven't specifically had your sinuses scanned to see if there is a blockage, it still might be worthwhile. I have had intermittent trouble with the eye pressure & pressure in my ears from my ES. I've had one shortened & was due to have my second one done 2 weeks ago but had a major bike accident with a head injury the week before surgery & am still recovering from that. My surgery has been postponed 3-4 months :(

I will pray that you will be able to get relief from your post-surgical problems. It must be very frustrating for you to still be having these troubles and more.

I have also the symptoms pressure on my left ear to the tepmle and something like numbness on the left side of the nose and something disturbs my left eye. I didn’t have styloid removed yet, had only tonsillectomy. I think it must be a compression on nerves or veins.
I would say be patience, after a couple of months it will be clear if it’s styloid/surgery related or not.

Isaiah - I’m so sorry to hear about your accident. I am praying that you have a quick recovery. I also wanted to thank you for all your feedback concerning my situation. I very much appreciate it. It has been a really difficult time for me. The encouragement that I receive from this site gives me hope. Also, I continue to pray that I will come out on the side of my situation better than ever. God willing.

2 Likes