New Here- NYC Frustrated no diagnosis, but acknowledgement

Obviously we’re not doctors on here, so can only give you an amateur opinion!
It certainly looks as if the right side is a bit long, & then there’s a gap & more calcification, presumably the stylo-hyoid ligament has calcified. The left side looks shorter, & I can’t see any calcified ligament on those images…but on the first image you’ve posted it looks wide & a funny angle. It’s not always the length which can cause symptoms but also the angle, & the gap between the styloid & the cervical vertebral processes. I can’t comment about the hyoid bone, as it can’t be seen on these images, but we have had members who’ve had the stylo-hyoid ligament calcify from the hyoid up, & also who’ve had elongated hyoid processes, although it’s not that common.
Your symptoms certainly sound as if they could be from ES, & it sounds as though it could be vascular, as you have dizziness, brain fog & have passed out. Unfortunately no-one can say for definite which symptoms can be resolved with surgery, it’s very much a wait & see thing. If you see an experienced surgeon, & they remove as much of the styloid as possible, smooth the tip & also remove any calcified parts of the ligament, then generally surgery has good results. It sounds as if your doctor would do external surgery, which is good as this gives better vision of all the structures. If you’re considering surgery, I would find out how many he’s done, whether he’d remove the calcified part of the ligament too, & what exactly he’d do during the exploratory surgery- you don’t want to have to go back again if nothing’s removed. And I’d also suggest getting clarity on what’s the issue with the hyoid & C1 process.
Have you looked at the Doctors List? Here’s a link in case you haven’t:
US Doctors Familiar With ES, Current List - Symptoms and Treatments / Doctor Information - Living with Eagle
Not sure who you’ve seen, but Dr DeLacure is experienced, otherwise if you can travel, Dr Cognetti & Dr Newman in PA have done lots of surgeries too.
Hope this helps!

2 Likes