Newly diagnosed with looming surgery

I can share pics, surgery was today so I’m about 4 hours out at this point. So there is quite a bit of swelling still. First pic is the best I could get of the incision, second is full face to show swelling.
Because surgery is so fresh, it’s hard to tell what if any relief is coming.
20200819_120521|375x500

1 Like

Looks good so far. How do you feel? Hope you have speedy recovery😘

1 Like

What were your symptoms that led to surgery? Did you attempt to manage it without for awhile?

1 Like

Feeling alright, my jaw and the inside of my mouth is numb but that should go away over the next 24 hours. Thanks for the well wishes!

Before surgery, I had constant headaches, dizzyness, intermittent nausea, tinnitus, and neck pain. I also occasionally felt as though there was something stuck in my throat, this was worse with cold food and drinks.

With the severity of symptoms and vascular involvement my surgeon felt it best to go ahead with surgical intervention if I was comfortable. After researching, knowing my symptoms may not fully resolve but surgery was the best option, I decided to go ahead and schedule it.

1 Like

Hi anharris!

Your incision looks fantastic & so do you for being shortly out of surgery. I hope you have a good rest tonight & your pain & allergy symptoms are well controlled.

Hoping you have a speedy recovery because of your younger age.

:heart:

1 Like

Isaiah, thank you for the prayers.

Day 2 update: pain controlled rotating Tylenol and a narcotic, with ice packs around my neck. I saw the doctor and he says externally things look good so I can go home. Looking forward to some real food - with my allergies I’m limited to what I can choose here. I woke up with a need to clear my throat semi frequently, and the local still hasn’t worn off entirely from the inside of my mouth. I’ve got intermittent numbness around the incision as well.

Glad that you can get home, much better in your own bed! Did you get something sorted for sleeping? I hope you can eat okay- took me a week or 2 to eat properly after my first surgery. :pray: :hugs:

1 Like

We bought a futon, a wedge pillow and I’ve commandeered 4 more pillows for behind my head/back and under my knees. Waiting for mom to get to the hospital so we can go to the pharmacy and get meds filled. I’ve been doing ok on what’s classified as full liquid diet, so gelatin, all drinks, soft cereal. I’ve got ice cream and Popsicles at home as well as some soup.

Great that you’re so well prepared! & glad that you have your Mum to look after you. Take care & heal well!

1 Like

anharris,

It’s good to hear you’re doing so well! Really take it easy this week & rest a lot, read a lot, & take a few short walks (10-15 min) each day to keep your blood circulating.

If you can eat eggs, potatoes & the like, you can have scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes, squash, etc., as well. I have shared that when I had my first ES surgery, I couldn’t eat really solid food for several weeks, as in Jules case, so my husband would make a meal w/ meat & veggies & put it in the blender w/ almond milk & make me a savory smoothie. They looked awful but tasted GREAT!! (He even blended salad for me w/ the dressing & all the add ins :joy:)

2 Likes

How are you doing today? Hope you are feeling better.

1 Like

Isaiah,
I was thinking of asking mom to make some eggs and potatoes tomorrow since they seemed like an easy to eat food. So far the most solid food I’ve had is cream of wheat (if you’ve ever had grits it’s the same concept just wheat not corn). Opening my mouth wide enough for a spoon is somewhat painful still. Before discharge the hospital had me take a short walk, and I’ll make sure to keep walking (more than just the bathroom and upstairs to eat).

Eastmas,
I’m doing somewhat better, as long as I stay on top of pain meds. Too early to really say if the surgery helped, but Dr Omilie said my muscles are well defined and could definitely be contributing to the problem.

2 Likes

Also, was going to ask about post-surgery ear pain but it seems to be normal. Mine is intermittent and when it comes feels like a cotton swab was stuck too deep.

1 Like

It could be that one of the nerves has just been irritated during surgery…hopefully will settle soon. After my 2nd surgery I couldn’t hear anything form that ear, & it felt like concrete had been poured down it; it got better after 2 weeks.
Take care :pray:

1 Like

Nearing the end of my second full day post surgery. I ate a bit more today, still mostly soft foods as opening my mouth to take actual bites is difficult. My mom has been amazing, she’s moved pillows upstairs twice so we can watch a show together and back down when I wanted to rest again. Staying ahead of pain pretty well, I did ask (and receive) for a muscle relaxant prescription since a large portion of my pain was from tenseness in my neck muscles. My cat is very worried about me, she basically hasn’t left my side since I got home. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: They are too sweet.

4 Likes

Glad you have 2 companions! And taking things easy will help…hopefully in a few more days you’ll be able to eat better…hugs to you :pray:

1 Like

Hi anharris!

It sounds like you’re doing well! Glad you’re getting some exercise moving up & downstairs. Walking a bit each day is an important part of recovery. Just take it slow & easy & for not too long - 10-15 min at the most 2-3 times/day.

Good job keeping w/ your pain meds & staying ahead of the pain. Do that at least till day 6 post op, & you’ll be giving your body a boost toward recovering. I was able to start spreading my pain meds out beginning the second week after surgery, but we’re all different so that might not work for you. I did end up needing to take them even part time for 6 weeks post op.

I’m glad your mom & your kitty are giving you lots of love & support at this time - very healing for you!

:hugs: - sending a gentle hug

2 Likes

I dont know with your allergies, but I found 3 things that actually tasted good after surgery. Jimmy Dean breakfast bowls, macaroni & cheese, and mashed potatoes. All of them were microwavable and really helped settle my stomach from all the meds. I had a lot of jaw issues too and the first few days, hard to open my mouth. Nice to have the animals. I have 2 mini-doxies and one now loves to sleep on the top of my wedge pillow close to my head. They so know when something is wrong with their mama. :blush:

3 Likes

Mashed potatoes and Mac n Cheese were good first foods, so we’re scrambled eggs. I had mom make soup yesterday - when she makes it everything gets boiled to death so I didn’t have to chew too much.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing/updating us on your progress. Glad you’re doing well and the surgery went well!

2 Likes