Over 2 years of chronic pain - could this be Eagle?

Thank you so much!

1 Like

Here’s an overdue update:

I was about to call the pain clinic last Monday, when I got a mail from the surgeon located in Bonn. To sum it up: He said my CT pictures are impressive and he would find it weird if I didn’t have any symptoms. He confirmed the possibility of Eagle Syndrome, based on 3 findings visible in the CT pictures:

1. The stylohyoid ligament is heavily calcified on the lesser cornu of the hyoid bone, which is pretty rare. I totally overlooked that. I thought the calcifications are part of the hyoid bone - but they’re not. (I’ve indicated the ossifications on the first picture below.) He explained it might hint at a “fracture of a previously unified bone constellation”. But that’s not certain.

2. The fragment of the styloid process appears fractured at the tip and/or the stylohyoid ligament is calcified on the upper part close to the styloid process (second picture).

3. The stylohyoid ligament seems to have a weird configuration, it doesn’t follow the “natural” curve. It’s not anatomically correct on my CT. (The second picture shows that a little.) The surgeon said it is likely that the ligament is pressing against the muscles of my neck on both sides. All the findings apply for both sides, by the way, the only difference is that the upper part of my right stylohyoid ligament is more calcified than on the left (second picture again).

I’ve got an appointment in Bonn next Monday where we’ll determine whether/when surgery is an option.
The back and forth of the last weeks is just mental, but I guess I’m on the right track now.

Thanks again for your help!

Nice skull, Michael! You have awesomely straight teeth!
HOORAY that your self- diagnosis wasn’t for naught after all!! It will be interesting to hear what the doctor in Bonn tells you. Please keep us posted.

1 Like

Yes, very up and down! Well done for all your digging… hope that the doctor is able to help you, and let us know how you get on.

1 Like

Just had my appointment in Uni-Klinik Bonn and on my way back to Munich now.

The doctor, Nils Heim, was great. He didn’t push me into doing the surgery, but said that the symptoms fit Eagle Syndrome very well and the CT pictures support the suspicion (calcified ligaments + the styloid process is probably broken as the fragment is very thick + the stylohyoid doesn’t follow the natuarl anatomic curve). He examined the region around my neck and said the calcified ligaments are palpable, especially on the right side. I’ll have surgery on 27 February, first on the right side. They will take out the styloid fragment as well as the entire stylohyoid ligament. If that relieves me of my symptoms, we’ll probably take the left styloid out, too.

He made clear that it’s still somewhat a gamble and that even if Eagle is actually the cause, it will take time to heal due to pain chronification and all that. I’m willing to take the risk of surgery, though, as they have done it several times already and reassured me that it’s not that big a deal (my cervical spine surgery was more dangerous, in fact). So yeah, the chances are 50/50 I’d say, but as long as the surgery goes well, there isn’t much to lose, I guess.

I might create another thread when I’m close to surgery and will let you know about my experiences. In the meantime, thank you for your great help. I wouldn’t have gotten this opportunity if it wasn’t for all of you posting your stories and answering to my (way too long) posts in this thread. Cheers!

I’ve highlighted the area they will take out during the surgery in the following picture. Everything from the tip of the styloid process to the lesser cornu of the hyoid bone.

grafik

It’s great news that he’s prepared to operate, and all down to you doing so much research, and not giving up! I really hope that the surgery helps, lots of info about surgery & what to expect on here if you need it.

1 Like

So glad to read your update, Michael. Surgery should make a big difference just know that it takes several months to heal post op. Don’t expect to jump back into life full force w/in a few days afterward.

1 Like

Got an injection into my right superior pharyngeal constrictor muscle which gave me a little bit of pain relief.

I’ll go ahead with surgery on 27 February. I’m actually looking forward to it now, this might be the solution.

I got an answer from Indian experts yesterday. They said that the styloid “on the right side is definitely deformed” and that “the right styloid process shows close proximity to the right transverse process of the cervical spine too”. But of course, they can’t say if the styloid fragment is the real culprit without physical examination. Awesome that they helped me with this, makes the surgery decision way easier. Got two positive opinions now.

My surgery had to be postponed. It will now be on 5 April.

That’s frustrating…

1 Like

I don’t mind too much, just have to make sure I don’t start having second thoughts again. :wink:

Sorry to hear about the postponement. I had to have my second surgery postponed by 3.5 months. I cried. I was looking forward to it more than I can say! I’m glad you’re comfortable w/ the extra wait. The best thing you can do for yourself is go into surgery trusting that your surgeon knows what he’s doing & believing you’ll feel much better when you’re healed after surgery. A positive mindset does a world of good toward getting better.

1 Like

I shared my surgery progress in a new thread: