Pain in the teeth

I haven’t seen a doctor about eagle syndrome yet. I had an appointment and then the pandemic hit. I was forced to cancel the appointment. Looks like it might be a long wait before I’m seen.
Thank you for replying and the information.

Ernest Syndrome. I had not heard of that. I have many of the same symptoms as that as well. A mouth full of root canals (8) and alot of deep filings. My teeth can go to extremes as well with hot and cold. They are so hypersensitive to cold or heat that while getting dental work, they have to put rubber dams over them as the cold air blowing from the drills and equipment set me off. Same goes with teeth cleanings. I have to make them putting numbing gel on the gums and get warm water to rinse. The thought of them spraying cold water on my teeth makes me shutter. I had hoped when I had my root canals years ago, it would deaden the pain or sensitivity. Sometimes it did. When I eat something hot or cold, I get the same shooting pain from front to back, the same as Laraine.

Ive had 3 crowns in the past few months and need another. They all had partial crowns and decay was underneath. Also getting hairline cracks in those molars. When doctor was prepping a tooth for crown build up a few weeks ago, it was borderline being able to save. I go thru novacaine quickly because of EDS and I was nice and numbed up however he got close to something and I jumped but the pain was on the opposite side of my mouth. Go figure. All I can think is that it was because I had my mouth open so long, my jaw was not liking it. Having been out 20 weeks from ES surgery on that side, the jaw/ear is still a little touchy. It happened twice in the dentist chair. It really is hard to determine what is causing what. Im scheduled for 2nd ES surgery in December. I think the tooth sensitivity is another issue besides ES but I will be able to test that theory soon.

1 Like

I get so stressed over the teeth issue. One root canal I have now feels the same as it did years back when it was a healthy tooth. And everytime I get a sensation, I wonder if I’ll get another root canal. Maybe after you second styloidectomy and time for healing, it will improve. That would be my hope for you.

Hi Loraine, I’m so sorry you are having molar pain. I had this too. I had a root canal after a crown. The pain finally stopped 3 years after ES surgeries. At one point I was told to get a titanium implant. I’m so glad I did not. The nerve finally healed. It was not necessary.

2 Likes

I went to the dentist yesterday and he doesn’t see anything wrong with any tooth. Plus I had my full check up just in June. But one molar in particular feels like it’s the worst. Hot and cold irritate it. He thinks it’s the ES. He at least knew and understood it. So I’m grateful for him. Was that how yours was? Sensitive to temp?

I am glad to hear it improves. I’m so over it. Interferes with eating and I’m afraid of eating/drinking basically bc of the pain. I just keep seeing the numbers fall on the scale and I can’t afford to lose anymore.

Hi Laraine. Sorry I misspelled your name earlier. Yes, in all cases my molars were sensitive to hot and cold. Sometimes they would just hurt all day. My right ES was the worst and last to heal for molar pain. The left side had just one molar that hurt. That one was better quickly after the left side surgery. There were two on the right side. They are both OK now.

1 Like

Mine haven’t been sensitive to hot or cold, the dentist checked that…so sorry that eating is painful for you :disappointed:

1 Like

It’s ok… first, middle, and last misspelled. :joy: I’m glad you’ve said that bc that’s exactly how mine are. One tooth leads you and dental pros to believe it’s the tooth. So I have been wondering which is causing pain. My dentist will be leaving soon and he advised me to be careful with any future dentists because they will have a hay day with me having Eagle and dental issues. He’s the second dental professional to be honest enough to tell me dentists and endodontists do take advantage by saying they can fix the pain when they cannot. He said I need to all my doctor for nerve pain meds to help until it’s gone or surgery or whatever happens.

I have one molar in each side at the bottom doing it. Same ones. Their top mirrored teeth above will sometimes join in. And then I will get an overall side of pain at times like putting my mouthful in at room temp. Have to warn it. Or a cold drink. You give me hope for mine to settle. Less fear of my teeth being damaged.

3 Likes

Appreciate you :blush:

1 Like

My husband has experienced symptoms of eagles for 10+ years now. about 3 years ago he began having his teeth pulled because he thought he had an infection under his teeth from the pain. His dentist insisted his teeth were fine but because no one would diagnose anything he has had about 5 teeth pulled. I hated to see him do it but I supported him because he has been in so much pain and he genuinely believed it was his teeth. Each time he had a tooth pulled he would have a little bit of relief and the pain would flair up on the other side so he would go after another one. In April of this year he was diagnosed with eagles. After reading about it online I had him pull up his panoramic dental picture he had taken a picture of on his phone (unfortunately no longer have that phone/picture) and I could see the 4.7 cm styloids on both sides very clearly. This past week he had the left side removed. He is fluctuating between relief and old symptoms right now, and he will be for the next 4-6 weeks- but one of the changes he notices so far is he feels like there is an empty pocket/pressure behind his left jaw/below his ear where it feels like he had an infected tooth pulled out.

1 Like

I hope that your husband heals well & soon sees improvements in ES symptoms- you’re very wise with your expectations of time for healing, could be even a bit longer… God bless :pray:

Hi Luci,

I’m so glad your husband has had surgery. He may experience other interesting nerve sensations (beside the feeling below his ear) during his post op recovery including flaring of symptoms caused by the remaining styloid. The nerves tend to heal in fits & spurts often giving us relief for a few days which makes us hopeful then causing us pain for some days which feels like regression. Just know that the healing process is three steps forward & two back but the ultimate direction is forward.

The first week post op is the worst. By the end of the second week, he’ll be feeling some better. By the end of the first month even better. It took me two months to get my energy back after each surgery. I had my less painful side removed first on doctor’s recommendation so my more invasive styloid remained & my symptoms increased on the one side while the other was trying to heal. I even experienced some crossover symptoms from the remaining styloid. Your husband must not let this type of scenario convince him the first surgery didn’t help. It will require removal of the second styloid for all pain to go. On the other hand, if he has no pain from the remaining styloid, there is no need for a second surgery. This does happen in some cases, but more often, the remaining styloid is not silent & has to be removed as well.

I appreciate your share. It’s all a very strange. I do have a dental team that refuses to allow anyone to pull teeth bc they are healthy. They explained I will still have the pain with them out. Some days I’m over it though. It’s very overwhelming so I understand his desperation. I hope he’s doing better each day.

1 Like

I had surgery end of April, have had 8 root canals in past 20 years and a couple months ago went to dentist complaining about an upper molar being sensitive. Im still struggling with teeth and jaw nerve pain after ES surgery but it took 12 weeks after surgery to subside to a comfortable level. Dentist says tooth ok but xray shows facial nerve and sinus close to teeth. Neurologist and dentist think its trigeminal nerve issues.
I have alot of old deep filled cavities, some with partial or full crowns in my mouth that are starting to fracture. I have had 3 crowns or partial buildups the past 2 months with another scheduled in a month and another after the 1st of the year. Dental issues cant be ignored. Im having 2nd ES side done in early dec and well see how this all pans out after that recovery. Im trying to attack this thing from all sides. I understand the desperation to stop that kind of nerve pain in the teeth. I had to insist on a few root canals although there was some evidence it was needed.

1 Like

I went to the endodontist. Not tooth related and the damage done by my prior dentist is what her and my new dentist believe. It was terrible and we are still fixing his issues. Eight months of damage. She said 6 months and I’ll feel some health. One year to really heal up.

I know needing to get things taken care of on all sides. I hope you get relief after your second surgery. And it may be a bit down the road, but suffering with dental is so hard, therefore when the day comes, it will be sweet. :sob:

1 Like

That sucks…fixing another dentists work. I think I am dealing with some of that myself. I have numerous partial caps that are either fracturing below or have decay that are rearing their ugly heads. I think dental work (deep molar fillings) made back in my late teens was less than ideal and have been a source of alot of problems that caused the excessive tooth sensitivity and eventual root canals. I wish I could afford to take a trip down to Cabo in Mexico and get a bunch of implants and get all the old metal out of my mouth. There are some good dentists down there and considerably cheaper. Maybe some day…I did ask doc about doing radiofrequency ablation. It basically seals off the nerves ie: burns/severs them so you don’t feel anymore. Im feeling pretty good this week generally from my injections from last week.

1 Like

I’ve never heard of ablation. What are the injections?

I had big fillings as well. When those amalgam fillings are replaced with the tooth colored ones, more tooth has to be removed before replacing so that makes an even bigger filling than we had. So even weaker teeth. It’s def a disaster it seems.

Nerve ablation is a surgical procedure done as, Snapple said, to deaden nerve endings. Nerves are zapped w/ an electric needle to “cook” them & render them harmless (senseless :wink:). As with the injections (usually a combo of lidocaine & cortisone given in the neck, jaw, face, & sometimes w/ ultrasound guidance, to help reduce nerve pain), ablation helps some people for only a short time & others for a longer period. Our nerves do regenerate over time so even ablation isn’t a perfect long-term fix for nerve pain.

2 Likes

Yeah, my amalgam fillings are and were being replaced as well. Current dentist feels I should have had full crowns on them. Now I am paying the price of the partials incurring more $$$ for full crowns. A few weeks ago, he said with one it was so borderline saving, he may have to extract. Thank god he was able to do the crown however it is on the edge. I hope the next two I need will be the same. You are right. Recipe for disaster.

1 Like