Passing out?

My dentist did a panoramic x ray at my request to check for ES. I am 45 years old and had my tonsils removed at 22. Over the course of the last 10 years I have passed out quite a few times. I had a cervical fusion of c4 thru c7 done 5 years ago. My symptoms did get a little better while I was in a neck brace but over the past 2 years have gotten worse. About 20 years ago I was sent to a doctor for tmj but he said live with it. I don’t really know how to explain how I feel. I have had fibromyalgia since i was in my 20s so I am used to pain. I can handle that but the feeling like I will constantly pass out with pressure in my head, feeling hot all over over, ears feeling like a roar if rushing fluid, feeling like just wsking up from anethesia (you know ehat is going on but you can’t function) then my heart feels like it skips then races. I can’t handle that. I am not driving unless I have to because I am afraid of passing out. Has anybody else had this? I go next week for a CT but the ENT I saw (I also see another one next week) said I have never heard of anybody passing out from ES. I don’t think he is taking me seriously or he has no clue. Any imput is appreciated. Has anybody else done this?

I’ve never passed out, but other members have, & (although very, very rare) there have been occasions where members have had TIAs- mini strokes, caused by pressure on the carotid arteries. I had bilateral compression of the jugular veins, which caused painful pressure in my head & ears, feeling like I was drunk, off-balance, or like being underwater! So your symptoms could be caused by vascular ES; there’s lots of info in the Newbies Guide about vascular ES & what could be causing symptoms, so have a trawl through that! There’s also links or suggestions of research papers which show cases of vascular ES, so I would suggest that you perhaps print out some of those which support your case & take them with you to appts. so that you can show the doctor. I’d also suggest having a CT with contrast if that’s not been requested, as that will show any compression of blood vessels.
There have been members who’ve had compression of the vagus nerve which can cause irregular heartbeat, so that could also be a possibility.
Hope your appt. goes better next week!

Thank you so much for the reply. My theory and I am no doctor by any means, is that when it compresses the cartoid I feel like I will pass out and have. Then when it presses the jugular my heart goes crazy and my bp. I go Tuesday for a CT with contrast. I am also going to ask it they can ct once with my head turned to the right since that has been the worst. Again thank you so much for all the info. I am so glad I have found this group.

That’s good to get a Ct with contrast done, especially if they’re willing to do it while your head’s turned, & were you get symptoms.

Hi Sewn, Yes I had those symptoms. I wasn’t diagnosed with vascular ES until in the midst of surgery. I’m so sorry you are going through this. I no longer pass out or have TIA’s. OR pass out when a PA system has feedback. Wow was that hard to explain. My husband became a sound man at our church in order to protect me LOL. Hang in there, it will get better.

Update: i don’t have ES. My styloid bones are normal however they have found a soft tissue mass beside the end of it. It is compressing on my artery. I have had a CT with Contrast and MRI. I go tomorrow for an angiogram and they will do it with my head in various positions. It is also effecting my vagus nerve. They think my heart issues could be from that. I have on a 30 day heart monitor. Although my symptoms were the same I don’t have it. I just want to say thank you for all the information I have gotten on here. I wouldn’t have been able to find it or know what to expect without you all.

1 Like

So glad you don’t have ES, Sewn, but am sorry you have a mass. I hope it is easily taken care of!

Sending prayers up for you,

:blush:

Yes, second that- I hope that they find out what exactly it is & that it can be easily removed. Glad that you found the site of some help! Feel free to come back & give us an update too. Thinking of you… :bouquet: :hugs: